TTC Electric Buses

On 5/16/2019 at 4:28 PM, leylandvictory2 said:

I don't see that a problem.  Drivers need to "recharge" too after driving 12 to 13 hours not to mention there is a regulation as how many hours a commercial driver can drive in a day, a week and 2 week period.  When BYD bus demoed a bus in Buffalo, they have a truck carrying a portable charger with the bus.  

BYD always used the portable generator as they charge the bus overnights at the hotel/rest stops. They only trucked when going across country but they try to demo with in the same area so the bus is only 6-8 hour drive between demo stops

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

3703 is now delivered at arrow road garage. 3700 has the special wrap and 3701 is getting the special wrap installed on the bus. 3703 is also going to get the special wrap. 

I guess all of them will be recieving that wrap? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

I guess all of them will be recieving that wrap? 

i think so when I passed by arrow road garage they took off all the signal lights on  3700 and 3701 to install the special electric bus wrap and ttc green decals 3703 just came in yesterday and it had its turn signals removed so its most likely getting wrapped 3701 should be complete today ill try and get photos unless someone beats me to it.

• Thanks 1

TTC to launch first all-electric bus into service

May 31, 2019

This Mon., Jun. 3, members of the media are invited to join TTC Chair Jaye Robinson, Mayor John Tory and Marco Mendicino, Member of Parliament for Eglinton-Lawrence and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, as they launch the first of the TTC's all-electric buses into service on the 35 Jane route. 

An in-depth technical tour, led by Bem Case, Head of Vehicle Programs, will be provided ahead of the news conference for those who are interested in a deeper understanding of the new eBus technology and charging infrastructure. Immediately following the event, media are invited to board the bus along with the dignitaries for the inaugural ride.

Technical walkthrough
Date: Mon., Jun. 3, 2019
Time: 6:50 a.m. (please arrive by 6:45)

Main event
Time: 7:30 a.m. (please arrive by 7:15)

Parking is available along the fence at the north end of the complex. Staff will be on hand to direct people to the site.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, drum118 said:

TTC to launch first all-electric bus into service

May 31, 2019

This Mon., Jun. 3, members of the media are invited to join TTC Chair Jaye Robinson, Mayor John Tory and Marco Mendicino, Member of Parliament for Eglinton-Lawrence and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, as they launch the first of the TTC's all-electric buses into service on the 35 Jane route. 

An in-depth technical tour, led by Bem Case, Head of Vehicle Programs, will be provided ahead of the news conference for those who are interested in a deeper understanding of the new eBus technology and charging infrastructure. Immediately following the event, media are invited to board the bus along with the dignitaries for the inaugural ride.

Main event
Time: 7:30 a.m. (please arrive by 7:15)

Why not make the first run on Sunday, or after rush hour on Monday. Now riders are going to see a bus arriving and whooshing past them full of "dignitaries". Stupid. Same thing happened in Denver recently when they opened a new rail line.

5 hours ago, dowlingm said:

Why not make the first run on Sunday, or after rush hour on Monday. Now riders are going to see a bus arriving and whooshing past them full of "dignitaries". Stupid. Same thing happened in Denver recently when they opened a new rail line.

political pr stunt

9 hours ago, dowlingm said:

I would have to imagine this being an in service extra, unless they want to draw the ire of morning commuters.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, meltingtomato said:

I would have to imagine this being an in service extra, unless they want to draw the ire of morning commuters.

This might still happen as the 35/935 is not reliable. Large gaps are expected all over the place. Although I think the bus might be in service and most dignitaries won't make the ride.

4 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

After the run with the dignitaries, will the bus used in revenue service or go back to the garage?

If they celebrate the first electric bus in service by not having one in service, that will be ironic.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Xtrazsteve said:

This might still happen as the 35/935 is not reliable. Large gaps are expected all over the place. Although I think the bus might be in service and most dignitaries won't make the ride.

If they celebrate the first electric bus in service by not having one in service, that will be ironic.  

The fact that the notices of the event state you can catch the bus Southbound along Jane st,  means to me that it will only do one southbound trip 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ultimate said:

The fact that the notices of the event state you can catch the bus Southbound along Jane st,  means to me that it will only do one southbound trip 

It has to come back to the garage somehow in service or not. I don't see the point of running it back as NIS but who knows

4 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

How does the bus get exposure by running that route? That pretty much limits the bus to few selected riders, operators and transit fans

I really doubt people would really care, it will be just another TTC bus at the end of the day

IIRC the 31s debuted on the 99, maybe if the electric had trouble it would be closer to the garage. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kelvin3157 said:

I really doubt people would really care, it will be just another TTC bus at the end of the day

IIRC the 31s debuted on the 99, maybe if the electric had trouble it would be closer to the garage. 

Keep in mind that this is just the debut run. The Jane corridor is being used as a trial route to see the bus’ range in regular service

5 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

In our perfect world. there are some environmentalist that asks TTC to buy more environmentally friendly buses. Daily riders are less likely to care than them.

The first TTC all-electric bus is on the road

June 3, 2019

Today, TTC Chair Jaye Robinson and Mayor John Tory joined Marco Mendicino, Member of Parliament for Eglinton-Lawrence and Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Infrastructure and Communities to launch the first of the TTC's all-electric buses into service on the 35 Jane route. 

The bus, manufactured by New Flyer Industries Inc., arrived in Toronto in April and has since undergone testing and commissioning as well as operator training. It is the first of 60 electric buses the TTC will have by the first quarter of 2020, making up one of the largest mini-fleets of electric buses in North America.

In addition to New Flyer, the TTC is also procuring electric buses from Proterra Inc. and BYD Canada Co. Ltd., allowing the TTC to inform future procurement through a head-to-head evaluation.

The electrification of vehicles is a key component of the City's TransformTO climate action strategy, which targets an 80 per cent reduction in local greenhouse gas emissions by 2050. To meet that target, 100 per cent of vehicles in Toronto must transition to low-carbon energy by 2050. The electrification of buses is an example of the City's commitment to lead by example. Vehicles generate about one-third of the emissions in Toronto today. 

The TTC's new eBuses operate on truly green propulsion technology with zero tailpipe emissions. In Ontario, generation of electricity for overnight charging is 100% nuclear and completely free of GHG emissions. 

The Government of Canada and the City of Toronto are investing $140 million in these electric buses as part of the federal Public Transit Infrastructure Fund (PTIF). This fund is helping keep Torontonians moving through investments in the repair, modernization and expansion of the city's transit and active transportation networks. In total, up to $1.8 billion is being invested in Toronto through PTIF, which was launched on August 23, 2016.

For more information on the TTC's green initiatives, please visit ttc.ca/green.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1