Sign in to follow this  
Torontobusphotography

TTC Junction Changes

Doesn’t the planned 127 extension decrease reliability for people on St. Clair and Runnymede? I suggest that they scrap that plan and do something like a St. Clair bus from Caledonia to Scarlett, as that would increase reliability at Western St. Clair.

Here is the link to the proposed service changes, for anyone that hasnt heard about them. 

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ttc.ca/TTC_Surveys/Junction_Area_Survey.jsp&ved=2ahUKEwiA_cDXvPXcAhUG7oMKHQvFDdgQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0EwCoZBN2HJblRTmucVDVn

I think the 127 extension is a terrible idea for a few reasons. 

-it really wont speed up travel times. If you are going from st clair ave west to line 2, or anywhere on runnymede or scarlett, you now need to transfer. 

-if you want to go downtown from st clair ave west during rush hour, the 71A\79B to line 2 is almost certainly faster than taking the 127 across to spadina. I have driven on davenport at rush hour, and the traffic gets very bad.

-Eliminating the 71A is also bad for runnymede road riders, as it is normally the only bus coming south on runnymede at am rush that has room to board. The 71B and 79 are normally full by dundas street and dont stop after dundas unless somebody is getting off.

-the st clair & runnymede intersection is not a very nice place to wait for the bus or transfer at, espescially after dark. The city is also planning on putting a  homeless shelter at that intersection, so i dont think it will improve anytime soon. 

The only people the 127 extension really benefits are people on st clair west of runnymede (which is almost all industrial), pritchard avenue, and foxwell street that want to connect to the 512, or go to davenport road. 

There was also changes announced to the 30, 40, and 80. I think these changes make sense, and i did suggest these changes to them in the past. 

The TTC got to stop drawing lines on the map. The longer the route, the lower the reliability it is. The 54 should have been split at Leslie/Lawrence. The 60 should be split at PV during rush hour. 35 Jane should be split at Eglinton. By splitting, they could run over lapping sections.

It's nuts how buses are always stuck at one end of the route at 5pm. Why are buses always so packed? They fail to mention that it usually happens after large gaps. One delay at one side messes up everyone's commute oppose to some of the riders. 

On 8/17/2018 at 10:52 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

The TTC got to stop drawing lines on the map. The longer the route, the lower the reliability it is. The 54 should have been split at Leslie/Lawrence. The 60 should be split at PV during rush hour. 35 Jane should be split at Eglinton. By splitting, they could run over lapping sections.

People don’t like transfers. The more people use Presto the more data can be estimated on actual # of through trips at all times of day. To my mind the bigger issue in areas like the Junction is how to make buses move faster by managing traffic better, and whether VISION will make a material difference to vehicle/operator management so that buses are better spaced.

On 8/17/2018 at 10:52 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

It's nuts how buses are always stuck at one end of the route at 5pm. Why are buses always so packed? They fail to mention that it usually happens after large gaps. One delay at one side messes up everyone's commute oppose to some of the riders. 

Speaking of lines, looking at the map, another issue is the 79 SCARLETT ROAD which can run all the way to Martin Grove by taking over the 52G LAWRENCE WEST branch. After all, service can be removed since it is already duplicated by the 32C, 35 and 52 as well.

Another thing that the TTC should split is the 21 BRIMLEY by restoring the 128 BRIMLEY NORTH north of Scarborough Centre Stn. and the 11 BAYVIEW by splitting service at York Mills Stn. to Steeles (BAYVIEW NORTH) while the main 11 can run from Davisville to Bayview Stn.

4 hours ago, BYD said:

Speaking of lines, looking at the map, another issue is the 79 SCARLETT ROAD which can run all the way to Martin Grove by taking over the 52G LAWRENCE WEST branch. After all, service can be removed since it is already duplicated by the 32C, 35 and 52 as well.

Another thing that the TTC should split is the 21 BRIMLEY by restoring the 128 BRIMLEY NORTH north of Scarborough Centre Stn. and the 11 BAYVIEW by splitting service at York Mills Stn. to Steeles (BAYVIEW NORTH) while the main 11 can run from Davisville to Bayview Stn.

Now you're drawing lines on a map. I can assure you that all the 52 branches on Dixon and the Westway have to reach Jane. Barely any travel demand between the 52 and 79 at Lawrence/Scarlett. The 79 can really just loop around Lawrence, Royal York, Dixon and Scarlett and not have a big effect. Lowest demand is north of Eglinton and no one would ride the route to reach Jane/Lawrence since it passes through Jane twice. The 79 running on Lawrence provides additional service from Weston to Jane which has a significantly heavier demand on the 52 than between Jane and Keele or west of Weston.

On 8/17/2018 at 9:53 PM, H4 5600 said:

Here is the link to the proposed service changes, for anyone that hasnt heard about them. 

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ttc.ca/TTC_Surveys/Junction_Area_Survey.jsp&ved=2ahUKEwiA_cDXvPXcAhUG7oMKHQvFDdgQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0EwCoZBN2HJblRTmucVDVn

I think the 127 extension is a terrible idea for a few reasons. 

-it really wont speed up travel times. If you are going from st clair ave west to line 2, or anywhere on runnymede or scarlett, you now need to transfer. 

-if you want to go downtown from st clair ave west during rush hour, the 71A\79B to line 2 is almost certainly faster than taking the 127 across to spadina. I have driven on davenport at rush hour, and the traffic gets very bad.

-Eliminating the 71A is also bad for runnymede road riders, as it is normally the only bus coming south on runnymede at am rush that has room to board. The 71B and 79 are normally full by dundas street and dont stop after dundas unless somebody is getting off.

-the st clair & runnymede intersection is not a very nice place to wait for the bus or transfer at, espescially after dark. The city is also planning on putting a  homeless shelter at that intersection, so i dont think it will improve anytime soon. 

The only people the 127 extension really benefits are people on st clair west of runnymede (which is almost all industrial), pritchard avenue, and foxwell street that want to connect to the 512, or go to davenport road. 

There was also changes announced to the 30, 40, and 80. I think these changes make sense, and i did suggest these changes to them in the past. 

I think the 30 should be extended to Dundas West. Maybe run another limited-service route on High Park to Runnymede, similar to the proposed changes to the 40. The 80B elimination is also a good idea because the TTC doesn’t need to run more buses on a less congested loop. The 512, however, should be extended to Jane, but that will cost millions of dollars to the government if they place and maintain tracks west of Gunn’s loop.

The link to the junction changes have been removed from ttc’s website.