Bieber Tourways

ns8401

Apparently they are close to losing their berth at the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan due to non payment. They also have a lien on the company for unpaid taxes from the State of Pennsylvania. Bieber runs intercity service from Pennsylvania into New York City.

Bieber runs 26 buses into Port Authority and 29 out on weekdays and 16 each way on weekends so it’s a significant loss in service if they get kicked out.

http://www.readingeagle.com/news/article/bieber-may-have-to-halt-service-to-port-authority

Wow...I had no idea.   Bieber had exclusive use of gates 19 and 21, as well as shared use of gate 2 (as a result of its takeover of Susquehanna routes), when I worked at The Port. Companies fight for the lease of gates in the overcrowded terminal.  I am sure the Port Authority will have no trouble finding other carrier's to rent those gates, if Bieber doesn't pay its debt.

Whether or not Trans-Bridge would extend a few of its trips, or add new ones from Allentown to Kutztown or Reading is a good question.   They seem to be satisfied with serving their current routes, and not ambitious about extending them.   Bieber was an excellent company back when Carl Bieber owned it.  I recall when they only ran charters, and then started up their line service into New York.   They were well-respected, and their fleet was immaculate, with a waiting list of buyer's for their used coaches.

Perhaps their downfall began when their current owner bit off more than they could chew, taking over former Capitol Bus Company, and later Susquehanna Transit routes?

The article mentioned the Port Authority "finding" a replacement carrier.... I have never heard of the P.A. doing that...replacing them at the gates, for sure, but looking for someone to take over the route?   Never....

I suppose an ambitious carrier like Academy could easily do that, if Trans-Bridge wasn't interested.

9 hours ago, traildriver said:

Wow...I had no idea.   Bieber had exclusive use of gates 19 and 21, as well as shared use of gate 2 (as a result of its takeover of Susquehanna routes), when I worked at The Port. Companies fight for the lease of gates in the overcrowded terminal.  I am sure the Port Authority will have no trouble finding other carrier's to rent those gates, if Bieber doesn't pay its debt.

Whether or not Trans-Bridge would extend a few of its trips, or add new ones from Allentown to Kutztown or Reading is a good question.   They seem to be satisfied with serving their current routes, and not ambitious about extending them.   Bieber was an excellent company back when Carl Bieber owned it.  I recall when they only ran charters, and then started up their line service into New York.   They were well-respected, and their fleet was immaculate, with a waiting list of buyer's for their used coaches.

Perhaps their downfall began when their current owner bit off more than they could chew, taking over former Capitol Bus Company, and later Susquehanna Transit routes?

The article mentioned the Port Authority "finding" a replacement carrier.... I have never heard of the P.A. doing that...replacing them at the gates, for sure, but looking for someone to take over the route?   Never....

I suppose an ambitious carrier like Academy could easily do that, if Trans-Bridge wasn't interested.

It’s official and permanent effective July 28th, the unpaid $214,000 to the Port Authority was their final straw and Bieber is being kicked out:

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-nws-bieber-bus-port-authority-lehigh-valley-commuters-nonpayment-20180720-story.html

This from the article was interesting:

“In March, Bieber suspended service to and from York, Lancaster, Pottstown, Limerick and Norristown. In June, it put its Reading station up for sale.

Coleman, the Port Authority spokesman, said several carriers have already expressed interest in absorbing Bieber’s routes.”

So the 400 or so people that use the service a day will potentially have a replacement soon...

Should be interesting, who provides service...

If Bieber continues operating, with curbside pick up, and drop off, their costs will be much lower than someone operating from The Port, hence a fare war could result...

Look at Martz and Aegean, competing for Pocono commuter's...Aegean, with its ancient buses and street operation charges a lot less than Martz does....

• 8 months later...