2019 OC Transpo Nova LFS Order

On 5/8/2019 at 8:45 AM, HB_1024 said:

They'd be fine if they had padding in them like they're supposed to. No idea who screwed that up. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the flip-up seats either, you'll fly out of them when the bus takes off or makes turns if you're not careful.

I'm also not sold on the ZF transmissions being a good idea either, from a passenger's perspective at least the shifting seems to be fairly jerky and uncertain. I suppose if they turn out to be reliable long-term then it's a moot point.

The A/C working beyond just the priority seats at the front is nice though, as is the rear-facing NSAS display.

As I drive ZF Ecolife transmission equipped Volvos and Scanias all day I can say, that:
A: They need to be broken in properly before the shifts smooth out a bit.
B: The Ecolife's retarder does most of the braking work - therefore, some of the jerkiness on downshifts could be down to the drivers not adjusting braking pressure for the shifts while slowing down. I can say this, since I have been guilty of doing it myself. Really, though - just enough braking to engage the retarder is enough. Anymore than that, and the shifts will be felt on the way down through the gears.

When it comes to flat out speed/acceleration, the Allisons would murder the Ecolife equivalent. Especially if the ZF is tuned to "Eco" shifts. Efficiency and average fuel consumption - the ZF wins all day long.

Some first impressions about the Novas:

The seats had thinner padding than usual but I wasn't bothered by it. Reminded me of the Orion V. They're the same otherwise.

The seats at the back looked very cheap.

The priority seats all fold one-by-one.

It is very quiet, especially at the back of the bus.

I actually like the Novas more than I thought I would. However, I still like the Inveros better because of their being unique to Ottawa. 4601 smelled like a new vehicle and looks spotless which I love. Usually you see OC Transpo buses with graffiti and litter in then.

23 minutes ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

Some first impressions about the Novas:

The seats had thinner padding than usual but I wasn't bothered by it. Reminded me of the Orion V. They're the same otherwise.

The seats at the back looked very cheap.

It is very quiet, especially at the back of the bus.

I actually like the Novas more than I thought I would. However, I still like the Inveros better because of their being unique to Ottawa.

The Inveros weren't unique to Ottawa

• Thanks 1

The following units spotted at City View on Saturday: 4632, 4638 (new), and 4639 (new, and plated).

Pictures will be posted if requested.

There is also one unit parked on the very far end, which I cannot identify because of the way it was parked.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JCL said:

The following units spotted at City View on Saturday: 4632, 4638 (new), and 4639 (new, and plated).

Pictures will be posted if requested.

There is also one unit parked on the very far end, which I cannot identify because of the way it was parked.

Please post them. Everyone wants to see them!

On 5/13/2019 at 4:33 PM, STO_1601 said:

Am I the only member from Ottawa who has still not ridden a Nova?

I rode one for the first time yesterday. I'm not a huge fan of Novas in general, but I don't mind the way these have been spec'ed out. The individual tip up seating is nice.

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:11 PM, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

That's pretty much a standard Nova feature everywhere. I rode one, I forget #, from Carlingwood to downtown on 87 last Thursday. Generally nice but seats were hard!

5 hours ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

No, it's an option. Neither Calgary's nor Saskatoon's novas have it.

How old on the ones over there? I know STO's started doing that with i believe the 11XX buses and onwards. Before it was just all 3 seats as one.

6 minutes ago, corynv said:

How old on the ones over there? I know STO's started doing that with i believe the 11XX buses and onwards. Before it was just all 3 seats as one.

It's just an option. We have the standard along with the single flip up seats after the wheelchairs spots. Any system can order and interior spec that fits them.