13 hours ago, Charlie said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but aren’t rear windows standard on Novabuses anyways? (Or at least the diesel LFS?)

-Charlie

Extra cost option is my understanding.

Dan

• Thanks 1

If you think about it, in the current fleet, only the Invero has a rear window. The D60LF, D60LFr, the double deck, Orion VII Hybrid all do not.

Historically, most buses did have rear windows. Incidentally, all (as far as I know) STO buses have rear windows including the artics.

31 minutes ago, sseguin said:

If you think about it, in the current fleet, only the Invero has a rear window. The D60LF, D60LFr, the double deck, Orion VII Hybrid all do not.

Historically, most buses did have rear windows. Incidentally, all (as far as I know) STO buses have rear windows including the artics.

I believe the main reason for that is because it’s more difficult with Low Floor busses, as all of the components that were under the floor had to be moved elsewhere (in most buses, the rear where the rear window would be, the only exception I know of is many Van Hool buses where they are mid-engined or the Orion VI where it was more to the left side of the rear) but now it seems like more and more bus manufacturers have the rear window as at least an option on some buses, like certain New Flyer models and Novabusses as well.

-Charlie

12 hours ago, Charlie said:

I believe the main reason for that is because it’s more difficult with Low Floor busses, as all of the components that were under the floor had to be moved elsewhere (in most buses, the rear where the rear window would be, the only exception I know of is many Van Hool buses where they are mid-engined or the Orion VI where it was more to the left side of the rear) but now it seems like more and more bus manufacturers have the rear window as at least an option on some buses, like certain New Flyer models and Novabusses as well.

-Charlie

It wasn't just low-floor buses.  Many high-floor buses of the 1980s and 1990s had their air-conditioners mounted where the rear window would have been, such as the GM/TMC/Nova RTS, the Grumman 870, the Flxible Metro, the Gillig Phantom, the New Flyer HF, the GM and MCI Classic, and Orion I and V buses.  Only a small number of transit agencies ordered these buses with roof-mounted A/C units so they could have a rear window: OC Transpo, the STO, Santa Monica Big Blue Bus, and Las Vegas CAT are examples that come to mind.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, STO_1601 said:

Will the NovaBus LFS' be built at the St-Eustache factory or the Plattsbrugh factory?

Rather than assuming, it will depend on two factors.

1. Is there a clause in the contract that requires a certain amount of the vehicle to have "Canadian content"?

2. Is there going to be sufficient capacity at St. Eustache to build them for the timeframe that OC Transpo wants them?

Speaking to 1., the earlier Metrolinx contracts did specify a minimum amount of "Canadian content" was required. I don't know if that has carried over to the latest contracts. And for 2., Nova has a number of very big contracts underway right now, not the least is a large Quebec consortium order which has to be built at St. Eustache. If OC Transpo wants its buses sooner rather than later, they may end up being built at Plattsburgh.

Dan

• Thanks 1

Given the current political climate, I would imagine they'd most likely be built in Quebec to avoid any problems with tariffs and stuff.

If Nova Bus has another large order being produced at St. Eustache that might explain why we'll apparently be getting a few buses in January followed by the rest a few months later.

Possibly related (to politics) possibly not, our 7 new Stadler FLIRTs will be manufactured in Switzerland (and then most likely assembled in Ottawa) despite Stadler having a plant in the US that would be capable of producing them.