2019 OC Transpo Nova LFS Order

9 minutes ago, Flalex72 said:

I'm surprised to see the front sticker where it is, as they usually leave that window uncovered when wrapping buses to allow for driver visibility back and to the right. With that said, the front door is so far back this may not be an issue.

I never really noticed that till you mentioned it, but like you said, the window is so far back. I never really look out that window unless I see something in my peripheral vision, and then again, the right side mirrors have a convex so that gives me a full view.

On 11/28/2019 at 11:23 PM, dudebrains said:

I think they should have put the revived Inveros on R1 Standby and put the new novas on regular service.

Anyway I find needing a fleet of dedicated rail replacement buses quite humiliating and embarrassing. This is not something to be proud of...

On 11/28/2019 at 11:30 PM, TTC 9701 said:

It proves that Ottawa can't do it right.. Look at Ion. It's a bit shaky but it's done right.

(This argument may not be valid but it's my opinion)

To be honest with you, I think it's actually better for OC to dedicate brand new buses for R1 service. The Inveros right now are 12-15 years old and are worn down. As a vehicle gets older, it's less likely to be reliable. If OC were to dedicate 20 Inveros to that service, they'd likely be gone in a few years and we would have had to get other buses in their place anyway. If they were to be rebuilt, than yes, they'd have less problems, but they're still going in a few years.

I think it's better to have them put all the revived Inveros onto routes that actually need them right now instead of waiting for new buses and then dedicating 20 Inveros to R1.

If 20 Novas are being dedicated to the R1 service instead, they are more reliable and can withstand more use. These are likely staying for at least 15 years.

By putting 20 Novas on this service, we already have new buses so that we don't have to replace them in at least 15 years. If we were to put Inveros instead, they'd probably be replaced in the next few years anyway.

6 hours ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

(This argument may not be valid but it's my opinion)

To be honest with you, I think it's actually better for OC to dedicate brand new buses for R1 service. The Inveros right now are 12-15 years old and are worn down. As a vehicle gets older, it's less likely to be reliable. If OC were to dedicate 20 Inveros to that service, they'd likely be gone in a few years and we would have had to get other buses in their place anyway. If they were to be rebuilt, than yes, they'd have less problems, but they're still going in a few years.

I think it's better to have them put all the revived Inveros onto routes that actually need them right now instead of waiting for new buses and then dedicating 20 Inveros to R1.

If 20 Novas are being dedicated to the R1 service instead, they are more reliable and can withstand more use. These are likely staying for at least 15 years.

By putting 20 Novas on this service, we already have new buses so that we don't have to replace them in at least 15 years. If we were to put Inveros instead, they'd probably be replaced in the next few years anyway.

I get where you're going with that, and agree in cases where the buses have more specific modifications such as the TTC's Airport Rocket. In that situation, you don't want to retrofit a vehicle that is near end of life, as you'll have to do the same in a couple of years.
In this case, the only change is a couple of stickers and an ad swap, and a bus is a bus is a bus. Keeping the new buses on standby while people use the old, rundown buses seems a little off. Keeping the inveros on R1 service would also prolong their lifespan further - the chance of failure is pretty low when their only work is driving back and forth to the baseball stadium twice a day.
The other thing to consider is that this is a stopgap measure. We can't expect 20 buses to sit around every day in perpetuity. Eventually, the kinks will be worked out and faults will fall to an acceptable level, then we won't need buses on standby.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Flalex72 said:

I get where you're going with that, and agree in cases where the buses have more specific modifications such as the TTC's Airport Rocket. In that situation, you don't want to retrofit a vehicle that is near end of life, as you'll have to do the same in a couple of years.
In this case, the only change is a couple of stickers and an ad swap, and a bus is a bus is a bus. Keeping the new buses on standby while people use the old, rundown buses seems a little off. Keeping the inveros on R1 service would also prolong their lifespan further - the chance of failure is pretty low when their only work is driving back and forth to the baseball stadium twice a day.
The other thing to consider is that this is a stopgap measure. We can't expect 20 buses to sit around every day in perpetuity. Eventually, the kinks will be worked out and faults will fall to an acceptable level, then we won't need buses on standby.

True.... I totally take back what I said.

On second thought, I see why it's more beneficial to put Inveros on there instead now that I read your post. I agree that don't necessarily need top of the line buses for the R1 service, so any old bus will do. I guess it would have been better to put all new LFSs in service and reserve 20 Inveros for R1.

I really don't understand the point of putting R1 decals all over the bus. That means those buses can only be dedicated to R1 service for this entire time, instead of being cycled around in other areas as needed, and I don't think the decals provide any more useful information than the destination signs showing R1 on all 4 sides does. I don't know why they need to use the same 20 buses every day instead of just putting 20 available buses of any type there. The decals just seem like more money down the toilet in a already costly embarrassment.

The only reason I can come up with for the dedicated fleet with stickers on all Novas is that maybe for PR reasons it looks better when the train (that cost billions) breaks, and the media does a story, that a fleet of brand new shiny buses swoops in to save the day, instead of a fleet or rickety and loud old clunker Inveros, with their titles missing and colours faded from years of use. Even just a photo of a the parking lot full of all brand new shiny buses looks better than a shot of buses that were basically ready for the scrap yard a few weeks ago.

The LRT will eventually be running without  "major issues" in time. I'm not sure how long that will be, but in all honesty yes the LRT is having issues, but come on you can't tell me that other transit systems in the entire world do have major issues with there systems? The point is because we live in Canada we simple don't here about what's happening on foreign transit systems. Unless you have some terrorist attack or major issue like a shooting or fire that kills many people, you don't hear rickety boo on it.