2019 OC Transpo Nova LFS Order

5 hours ago, 8792 said:

Interesting to see how they’re bike rack equipped on delivery. 

Even the ADL buses were rack equipped on delivery. Purchase order included being bike rack equipped, so racks installed on delivery, OC then removes the rack before putting in service if delivery occurs during winter.

12 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

Found this on Instagram

(OC4604.StLaurent)

(OC Transpo Nova LFS paint scheme)... It doesn't look bad... but I hope it evolves to become cleaner.

The front is spot-on.

On the sides, they're cramming waaay too many elements into a small space. Look! A big red swoosh at the front! Two leaping lines... like the LRVs! The oversize Maple Leaf! An off-kilter "unboxed" OC Transpo logo -and- a new (?) LRT-inspired "O" logo, too! An O-bus!

The bottom "leaping LRV line" is maybe the worst offender. It's like someone's marker slipped when they were applying the gray skirt.

Now imagine if OC mounts ads. It will look even choppier.

The back... the abrupt transition from white to red actually looks sharp. But it's inconsistent with the rest of the design and other models in the fleet. Put that side-by-side with a New Flyer artic and they look like they're from different transit systems.

Pick a few anchors of the design and don't get too fancy. I've generally liked all of OC Transpo's paint schemes -- the classic red-and-white slant/sash, KFC and Maple Leaf. This... is lapse of detail and may have some issues future-proofing.

Otherwise... it's always disappointing to see a Nova sans back window. Hmph.

What font is OC mostly using these days? Frutiger? Matter of personal opinion, but I find it sterile and ugly. Helvetica is above reproach, and the Akzidenz Grotesk used for fleet numbers on early Inveros and some older buses was very classy.

Nice move on the Novas, OC. But tighten up the details, eh?  ?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Border City Transit said:

The back... the abrupt transition from white to red actually looks sharp. But it's inconsistent with the rest of the design and other models in the fleet. Put that side-by-side with a New Flyer artic and they look like they're from different transit systems.

You can say the some thing about STO's liveries. Currently have 3, the older White with blue and pink. The Rapibus one, and then the current green one. All would look like they're from a different agencies if you like at them side by side, but it's what you have to do if you want to change it up, just need to phase it one over time.

Edited by corynv
spelling

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:39 AM, Border City Transit said:

<snip>

Look! A big red swoosh at the front! Two leaping lines... like the LRVs! The oversize Maple Leaf! An off-kilter "unboxed" OC Transpo logo -and- a new(?) LRT-inspired "O" logo, too! An O-bus!

<big snip>

?

O-bus is German for trolleybus - "oberleitungs" German for overhead lines.

On 2/5/2019 at 9:39 AM, Border City Transit said:

The bottom "leaping LRV line" is maybe the worst offender. It's like someone's marker slipped when they were applying the gray skirt.

The "leaping line" swoosh matches the old visual identity as along the top of the old bus stops and information signs, the SPECIAL security cars, Powerpoint templates, etc. As you said, too many elements, trying to cram in a bit of everything.

788932535_OCTranspobussigndesignchange.thumb.png.2dab85ddc22428942c0c321911e3cf55.png

It's unfortunate they used it on the LRVs knowing the visual identity was changing to the "O" - a scheme like the middle left one here would have been more consistent with the buses, both new and old.

1080153181_Trainmockups.jpg.9e622d08b93d5584179992fd652d38fd.thumb.jpg.ca4606a97f76c64ec315a176c16f676e.jpg

5 hours ago, OCCheetos said:

I think I get the curved red area on the front now..? It's a thought I guess.

path476.png

That looks exactly right - segments of the "O" instead of the red/gray "swoosh", just like on the vending machines and station decor.

1519513838_ScreenShot2019-02-07at22_07_26.thumb.png.1bc1fdc1aabcf5fd8a5e5eb5201bb729.png

On 2/5/2019 at 9:39 AM, Border City Transit said:

(OC Transpo Nova LFS paint scheme)... It doesn't look bad... but I hope it evolves to become cleaner.

Nice move on the Novas, OC. But tighten up the details, eh?  ?

OC Transpo uses Frutiger to be in line with city branding. However, we all should be very aware by now branding and consistency isn't OC Transpo's forte.

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting features I was able to find:

Confirmed push bar rear doors

One standard rear facing NSAS display AND one forward facing NSAS display near rear doors for standees facing the rear

In place of the mirror for the operator to view the bike rack, a sensor on the rack that activates a light when the rack is lowered (yes it is obvious it is down when a bike is present, however, not so much when the passenger forgets to put the rack back up)

Blue interior lights in the forward half of the bus

• Like 1