2019 OC Transpo Nova LFS Order

12 hours ago, Charlie said:

I believe the main reason for that is because it’s more difficult with Low Floor busses, as all of the components that were under the floor had to be moved elsewhere (in most buses, the rear where the rear window would be, the only exception I know of is many Van Hool buses where they are mid-engined or the Orion VI where it was more to the left side of the rear) but now it seems like more and more bus manufacturers have the rear window as at least an option on some buses, like certain New Flyer models and Novabusses as well.

-Charlie

It wasn't just low-floor buses.  Many high-floor buses of the 1980s and 1990s had their air-conditioners mounted where the rear window would have been, such as the GM/TMC/Nova RTS, the Grumman 870, the Flxible Metro, the Gillig Phantom, the New Flyer HF, the GM and MCI Classic, and Orion I and V buses.  Only a small number of transit agencies ordered these buses with roof-mounted A/C units so they could have a rear window: OC Transpo, the STO, Santa Monica Big Blue Bus, and Las Vegas CAT are examples that come to mind.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, STO_1601 said:

Will the NovaBus LFS' be built at the St-Eustache factory or the Plattsbrugh factory?

Rather than assuming, it will depend on two factors.

1. Is there a clause in the contract that requires a certain amount of the vehicle to have "Canadian content"?

2. Is there going to be sufficient capacity at St. Eustache to build them for the timeframe that OC Transpo wants them?

Speaking to 1., the earlier Metrolinx contracts did specify a minimum amount of "Canadian content" was required. I don't know if that has carried over to the latest contracts. And for 2., Nova has a number of very big contracts underway right now, not the least is a large Quebec consortium order which has to be built at St. Eustache. If OC Transpo wants its buses sooner rather than later, they may end up being built at Plattsburgh.

Dan

• Thanks 1

Given the current political climate, I would imagine they'd most likely be built in Quebec to avoid any problems with tariffs and stuff.

If Nova Bus has another large order being produced at St. Eustache that might explain why we'll apparently be getting a few buses in January followed by the rest a few months later.

Possibly related (to politics) possibly not, our 7 new Stadler FLIRTs will be manufactured in Switzerland (and then most likely assembled in Ottawa) despite Stadler having a plant in the US that would be capable of producing them.

• 1 month later...

They already have. With the 6000 series & 8000 series.

The original 60001-6999 where the GM New Looks & the 8001-8999 where the GM New Looks, GM Artic, Orion I's,Orion II's, Orion-Ikaruses(Orion III's), GM Classics, Tel-Transpo(Twin Coach, Internationals, Mercedes & VreKEE's(SP))

So by the time they reach 4999 the earlier 4000 will probally be available again?

Back in 2000 OC changed there numbering system to

3000 was to be 30' & 35' buses

4000 was to be 40' buses

6000 was to be 60' buses

7000 was to be 75' buses(double artivcs if they had gone with the original plan on purchasing them reanaue I believe)

5000 & 8000 series after 2000 wasn't consider at the time.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I was looking at the satellite view of the Novabus factory using Google maps on my phone and there are at least 4 buses parked around their factory that look like they have that new OC Transpo livery (you can see the red extending over the roof on the front end of the bus). I have no idea when that satellite image was taken... but they only seem to be there on the Google maps PHONE app satellite view. When I looked at the same factory on satellite image using Google maps on a PC, it was a different image and only had all white buses and some STM buses (pretty crazy what you can see using the 3d image on Google maps for PC.

Included what I saw on my phone... not sure for sure if they are OC buses but I can't think of any other systems with a red nose like that.

nova1.jpg

nova2.jpg

1 hour ago, whistler said:

I was looking at the satellite view of the Novabus factory using Google maps on my phone and there are at least 4 buses parked around their factory that look like they have that new OC Transpo livery (you can see the red extending over the roof on the front end of the bus). I have no idea when that satellite image was taken... but they only seem to be there on the Google maps PHONE app satellite view. When I looked at the same factory on satellite image using Google maps on a PC, it was a different image and only had all white buses and some STM buses (pretty crazy what you can see using the 3d image on Google maps for PC.

Included what I saw on my phone... not sure for sure if they are OC buses but I can't think of any other systems with a red nose like that.

nova1.jpg

nova2.jpg

I wouldn't trust Google Satellite views as they tend to be dated 

For example, street view on Safari (Mac) shows a bunch of Ttc Novas sitting in the parking lot (with a date of July of 2017) 

3 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

I wouldn't trust Google Satellite views as they tend to be dated 

For example, street view on Safari (Mac) shows a bunch of Ttc Novas sitting in the parking lot (with a date of July of 2017) 

Very true... also I just noticed this pic on another thread here that shows a TTC Nova hybrid in their new livery and it does have red that extends over the roof (or "forehead") at the front of the bus, so those ones I saw on satellite could just be TTC units.

44229847685_d368c5e697_b.jpg

Either way, now that its January, I guess that means we should be seeing the new OC Transpo Nova's in the flesh soon enough, since from the early announcement it sounded like they were expecting to take the first 2 units this month.

42 minutes ago, whistler said:

Either way, now that its January, I guess that means we should be seeing the new OC Transpo Nova's in the flesh soon enough, since from the early announcement it sounded like they were expecting to take the first 2 units this month.

@anyfong confirmed with me the other day that there are none at the factory right now.

5 hours ago, whistler said:

nova1.jpg

nova2.jpg

Those are TTC ones LFS Diesel, 3100-3369 batch most likely