Life After Greyhound

ns8401

2 hours ago, traildriver said:

Looking at that station, gets me thinking about so many other fairly elaborate structures serving medium sized cities that once were so common across the US and Canada, but are now a relic of past, better days....

The thing that always strikes me about these old stations is 

B

U

S

In big letters on the building. Very distinctive as to what and who it’s for.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Shaun said:

I was wondering why the Ottawa Greyhound Station is situation so far outside of the city? In every other city the bus station is in the downtown core. Why was this one build so far out? 

4 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

Are you talking Ottawa, Ontario? If so it’s actually extremely close to the core. Prior to its closure it was right beside bank street which led straight to downtown Ottawa and over the years had direct access downtown via transit through many routes either just outside of the station or on bank street 

Even more importantly, the Catherine Street terminal was located right next to the Queensway, so coaches to Montreal and Toronto could access Highway 417 within minutes of leaving the terminal.

15 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

Even more importantly, the Catherine Street terminal was located right next to the Queensway, so coaches to Montreal and Toronto could access Highway 417 within minutes of leaving the terminal.

That seems to be a major or maybe the major criteria for locating a terminal the vast majority of the time. You really want a coach snaking through a city as little as possible for a multitude of reasons.

• Thanks 1

Well it's it not to bad where the new "terminals" are for Megabus, Ontario Northland, Orleans Express, not sure of the others, there basically either at the Via Train Station located with in mins of Highway 417 & ST Laurent BRT/LRT Transitway Station also located with in mins of the 417.

On 3/4/2022 at 11:21 PM, curlingteam333 said:

Does anyone know where does Greyhound parked in Toronto during long layover?

My friend who does Ourbus left late today so Greyhound was ahead of him. After my friend dropped off in Mississauga, he spotted Greyhound exiting at Kipling off westbound Gardiner Expressway. Not sure if Greyhound goes to Attridge for cleaning before doing the 9pm departure from Union Station. My friend's contact confirmed that Greyhound does not go to GTA. I don't any other bus company in that area besides Attridge and GTA.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The former Greyhound station in Bakersfield, California looks likely to be demolished and rental housing put on the site. The station was built in 1960 and closed in late 2021. Greyhound moved to the Amtrak station where the city had 2 bus bays built for them to use.

https://www.bakersfield.com/news/greyhound-building-back-in-play-after-city-meeting/article_db1a7a9c-cc92-11ec-bb9d-e7b1fcae8e62.html

• 3 months later...

The Grand Junction depot, is not really architecturally speaking, a very significant property.  Not like the many former Greyhound terminals with the Art Moderne style streamlining.

It was not built to standard Greyhound architecture of the period mainly because it wasn't a Greyhound property until they acquired Continental Trailways in 1987.  It was originally a Rio Grande Motorway (subsidiary of the D&RGW Railroad), bus station.  It actually achieved its peak of use later in life...in the 1970's, when I-70 was completed, opening a faster route between Omaha and Las Vegas, and schedules that used to take I-80 thru Wyoming to Salt Lake City and I-15, now cut southwest thru Denver and Grand Junction.   These were added to the then 3 daily trips from Denver to Salt Lake City via US-6 and Grand Junction, plus the 2 daily trips from Grand Junction to Pueblo, and 1 or 2 daily trips from Grand Junction to Durango.   The station was also served by Wilderness Transit's daily bus to Rifle and Craig, and at one time up to Rawlins.

The station was pretty functional considering the size of the town it served, with a cafe, and a garage attached.   

11 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Interlining may be coming to the various bus services operating in British Columbia since Greyhound left:

https://www.mybulkleylakesnow.com/53715/a-northern-connected-bus-network-could-be-a-reality-in-2022/

seems like a system that is tailored to BC Transit or all the PWT contracted companies. If they used the betterez system it could link any co using that platform if they so choose.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, TRENT_TRANSIT_SYSTEM said:

Anyone know how to insure a 45ft MCI for personal use? I am buying one next week but dont want to pay for a commercial policy before I put the bus into revenue service.

Perhaps you can insure it as an RV,  But I'm pretty sure you would have to remove most of the seats, first.

• 2 months later...