LegoNovaLFS2001

Why are there pages for routes within a company?

From the day I joined the CPTDB to now, one thing I haven't understood is why pages for individual routes were created. Transit authorities/companies already have detailed information kept on their schedules/websites, so I thought that level of detail on this forum was extraneous. Could someone better explain why there are pages for routes within one given system? And can this level of detail be applied to all other pages?

The route pages often include information that isn't readily accessible to the public otherwise; i.e. the distance measurements for the route, and the distribution of buses on different branches within a given service period. Plus, it's nice to have access to map archives.

I have no idea what " can this level of detail be applied to all other pages?" is supposed to mean. The other pages tend to be pretty detailed too.

2 minutes ago, PCC Guy said:

The route pages often include information that isn't readily accessible to the public otherwise; i.e. the distance measurements for the route, and the distribution of buses on different branches within a given service period. Plus, it's nice to have access to map archives.

I have no idea what " can this level of detail be applied to all other pages?" is supposed to mean. The other pages tend to be pretty detailed too.

I mean if the wiki should also have pages for most (if not all) routes within a system, i.e. pages for every route from MBTA in Boston, or pages for every route from all Los Angeles-area companies, if that make sense.

If those pages don't exist, it's because editors based in that area haven't gotten around to it. In Toronto we have pages for all routes operated by the commission.

2 hours ago, LegoNovaLFS2001 said:

I mean if the wiki should also have pages for most (if not all) routes within a system, i.e. pages for every route from MBTA in Boston, or pages for every route from all Los Angeles-area companies, if that make sense.

This is the Canadian Public Transit Discussion Board, so yeah as the name suggests there tends to be a greater focus on the Canadian systems.

There is a very (very!) long list of things that I'd like to get done on the Wiki - page updates, new pages, new projects. But I don't have either the time, or more importantly, the expertise to update these. So there's no point in creating basic non-detailed pages on each route for every system on the continent if there's nobody available to update them on a regular basis. As @PCC Guy mentioned, there's a large community of individuals in Toronto that can keep the pages updated anytime there's a change. For most systems that isn't the case. No need to put up basic pages that will get outdated quickly.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2018 at 1:06 PM, LegoNovaLFS2001 said:

Transit authorities/companies already have detailed information kept on their schedules/websites, so I thought that level of detail on this forum was extraneous. Could someone better explain why there are pages for routes within one given system? And can this level of detail be applied to all other pages?

Routes come and go, they get changed over time. Transit systems revamp entire route networks. Case in point, the #98 service to Beaumont from Edmonton ended 15 years ago, but, it is detailed for posterity in the Wiki: https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Edmonton_Transit_System_route_98

• Like 1