Sign in to follow this  
Markus163

FlixBus Launches in United States

Hey guys, seems like nobody has started a thread about Flixbus yet. ☺️

"Five years after the launch of FlixBus, Europe’s fastest-growing long-distance mobility provider, the company behind the green buses is bringing its one-of-a-kind business model to the United States."

Flixbus itself cares about route planning and ticket sales, while local bus partners operate the busses. Currently these local bus partners are Arrow Stage Lines, American Explorer Motorcoach, Gray Line Arizona, Pacific Coachways, Transportation Charter Services, and USA Coach Services.

It would be great if we could collect some pics oder create a list of all Flixbusses in this thread (or maybe the Wiki editors can create a vehicle list? - might be the better place).

Routes and further information on Flixbus can be found on their website: https://www.flixbus.com

American Explorer Motorcoach

8229, AH94909, Van Hool CX45 (built 2018)

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing, I wasn't aware they had already entered the US market.

I did spot one of their (contractor owned?) TX27 in London earlier this year, a very eye catching livery!

41792464322_f460ea85db_t.jpg

Given the struggles of Megabus and GLI it'll be interesting to see if they can survive long term. I'm guessing though that gas prices will start going back up eventually, so that may give the motorcoach line run business a boost.

• Like 2

A certain birdie (I will not name names) from American Explorer Motorcoach stole our business plan after making false pretenses to a partnership and handed it to Flixbus. And of course the press gave the publicity to them.

No kidding.

I could use harsher words, but I will just say that if Flixbus has any success in the US, you know what really happened.

Okay, I won't speculate on something I'm not familiar with. For me it seems like Flixbus is doing the same business that they started here in Germany in 2013. The business model is the same, but maybe it's more about the route planning? I think it's difficult to 'steal' a business plan that Flixbus is realizing for five years by now. But of course there may be some details that I don't know...

I used to live in Niedersachsen and indeed they are using the same business model that they were using in Germany (though I moved away before they started), but let's not forget that they have a near-monopoly in Germany. One can use the same business model in Germany as in the US, but the implementation of that business model will naturally differ, especially since Flixbus doesn't actually own or operate any buses. A lot of the things they're doing that are specific to Flixbus USA came from yours truly.

American Explorer Motorcoach made a pretense to a partnership and obtained our business plan. After they got it, they never responded to contact again. Around the same time, someone from Flixbus USA viewed my LinkedIn profile. The next thing you know, American Explorer Motorcoach is working for Flixbus doing a lot of the same things that were in our business plan. The only facts we know are that they have our business plan, they are working for Flixbus now, and Flixbus is doing some of those things in said business plan. Not enough to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law, but we simply shouldn't have made the mistake of giving our business plan to the devil in the first place. That was our error.

Anyway, anytime you see Flixbus being touted in the media as these great nice hard-working young men, think twice.

Over here in SF, multiple coach operators are operating on Flixbus routes simply with their buses wrapped in Flixbus wraps. I don't think they're being leased either. Tourcoach and Amador Stage Lines are some examples.