• 1 month later...

Back in the late 80s / early 90s, which TTC trolleybus routes were the leased Edmonton vehicles run on?  I remember 6 Bay for sure, but do not recall the others.  For example, did 74 Mount Pleasant?

36 minutes ago, 88A said:

Back in the late 80s / early 90s, which TTC trolleybus routes were the leased Edmonton vehicles run on?  I remember 6 Bay for sure, but do not recall the others.  For example, did 74 Mount Pleasant?

Uh oh.  The off topic police are going to get in a snit about is this really non-fishbowl nostalgia or is it not.

Anyways, going off the top of my very seriously sleep deprived head so I'm probably making mistakes, two were very briefly tested out of Eglinton.  I'm pretty sure I remember the pair running on Nortown East.  That was all the use they got on the Eglinton lines.  They didn't stay at Eglinton beyond that brief test and were transferred to Lansdowne and they ran on all the lines based out of there too.  Of course, Annette and Bay stick out in everybody's mind because the BBCs on those two lines were the long, last stand for trolleybuses.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 88A said:

They ran on all routes out of Lansdowne division.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Uh oh.  The off topic police are going to get in a snit about is this really non-fishbowl nostalgia or is it not.

Anyways, going off the top of my very seriously sleep deprived head so I'm probably making mistakes, two were very briefly tested out of Eglinton.  I'm pretty sure I remember the pair running on Nortown East.  That was all the use they got on the Eglinton lines.  They didn't stay at Eglinton beyond that brief test and were transferred to Lansdowne and they ran on all the lines based out of there too.  Of course, Annette and Bay stick out in everybody's mind because the BBCs on those two lines were the long, last stand for trolleybuses.

I don't remember the BBCs at all on the 89 Weston which was my home T.C. route.

2 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

I don't remember the BBCs at all on the 89 Weston which was my home T.C. route.

Really?  I could've sworn they were infrequently on Weston but not unheard of.  The experience I had was that they were rare as hen's teeth on 47 Lansdowne and Junction.  I'm kind of envious because you had a nice, long trolleybus line with 89 Weston.  The only one to make it north of the 401.  Even the Nortown trolleybus as far north as Roe loop didn't get all that close to the 401.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Really?  I could've sworn they were infrequently on Weston but not unheard of.  The experience I had was that they were rare as hen's teeth on 47 Lansdowne and Junction.  I'm kind of envious because you had a nice, long trolleybus line with 89 Weston.  The only one to make it north of the 401.  Even the Nortown trolleybus as far north as Roe loop didn't get all that close to the 401.

They may or may not have showed up on there but I mostly remember the Flyers. Sometime around '91 I don't even remember seeing any E700 in the old colours on Weston. Yeah, that was a nice route with all the twists and turns. Used to take that to the old Knob Hill plaza when it was nice.

1 hour ago, Downsview 108 said:

They may or may not have showed up on there but I mostly remember the Flyers. Sometime around '91 I don't even remember seeing any E700 in the old colours on Weston. Yeah, that was a nice route with all the twists and turns. Used to take that to the old Knob Hill plaza when it was nice.

Some of the unrebuilt Flyers were getting pretty grim near the end.  Some of them had bad roof leaks stick out in particular that made the ALRV's look practically watertight so I could definitely see the TTC trying to prioritize using the Edmonton BBCs and the rebuilt Flyers in order to try to keep as much junk off the streets as possible.  Eglinton was a mix of rebuilt and red and cream Flyers right to the end so those were visible right through the last day until the service ended.

When the trolleybuses were shut down, did you experience problems with the diesel bus service after?  The fishbowls they put on Nortown were slow and couldn't hold a schedule, and they were always far more crowded than the Flyers were especially in the morning rush hour.  The afternoon rush hour was pretty bad but not quite as bad as in the morning where you'd wait an eternity for a packed fishbowl to arrive.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Some of the unrebuilt Flyers were getting pretty grim near the end.  Some of them had bad roof leaks stick out in particular that made the ALRV's look practically watertight so I could definitely see the TTC trying to prioritize using the Edmonton BBCs and the rebuilt Flyers in order to try to keep as much junk off the streets as possible.  Eglinton was a mix of rebuilt and red and cream Flyers right to the end so those were visible right through the last day until the service ended.

When the trolleybuses were shut down, did you experience problems with the diesel bus service after?  The fishbowls they put on Nortown were slow and couldn't hold a schedule, and they were always far more crowded than the Flyers were especially in the morning rush hour.  The afternoon rush hour was pretty bad but not quite as bad as in the morning where you'd wait an eternity for a packed fishbowl to arrive.

I wouldn't know as by the time T.C.s ended (the first time) we had moved to the east end off a route that was serviced almost exclusively by the new Orion Vs. LOL. If they were slow maybe it had something to do with the last of the 7xxx GMS being used to replace them? I've been on those a couple times that summer but being so young at the time I don't remember them being slower than anything else (except the Orions) nor would I have cared. ? Last T.C. route I rode was 6 Bay and that was crowded enough on its own. Flyers definitely looked like they could fit a few more people though.

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, H4 5600 said:

A few shots of ttc D40LF 7343 on the 66. 

I still miss riding these buses, they were my favorite ttc buses of all time besides the 7200's. 

IMG_20190827_003402_810.jpg

IMG_20190826_235437_962.jpg

IMG_20190827_000414_124.jpg

I miss driving and working on them. They were relatively easy to repair and drove quite well. In my opinion these were the best low floor buses the TTC ever had. It's a shame none were preserved.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Today marks 4 years since the last of the Orion V retired. 9411 made its final run on the now defunct 196.

I always liked the 94 Orion V. I liked the sound of the engine, as it was different to what the TTC had at the time. I would always get one on the 29, once the artics started going on then I always got them. During the last year of their life, there would be some on the 90. If I ever saw one or knew one was coming, I would always wait for one. The last ones I rode on was 9420 on the 90B back in October or November of 2015 and 9402 on the 29C on the 2 or 3 of December.

• Sad 3

32 minutes ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

Today marks 4 years since the last of the Orion V retired. 9411 made its final run on the now defunct 196.

I always liked the 94 Orion V. I liked the sound of the engine, as it was different to what the TTC had at the time. I would always get one on the 29, once the artics started going on then I always got them. During the last year of their life, there would be some on the 90. If I ever saw one or knew one was coming, I would always wait for one. The last ones I rode on was 9420 on the 90B back in October or November of 2015 and 9402 on the 29C on the 2 or 3 of December.

I feel your pain.

I used to ride the Nova RTS buses all the time on the 37 but then came 14/2/14 that day is when Queensway got the 37 and Arrow lost the 37. Now seeing your post made me remember them.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, splendidwizardplayer said:

I feel your pain.

I used to ride the Nova RTS buses all the time on the 37 but then came 14/2/14 that day is when Queensway got the 37 and Arrow lost the 37. Now seeing your post made me remember them.

I think I rode the RTS 2 maybe 3 times? I would see them in the deadline a couple times at Hillcrest, but never really rode on them.

Anyways for all you trolley bus fans, I have seen a photo of 9339 with lights on. She looks good:wub:. I am not showing the photo on here, as I am unsure if the poster would like me to repost their photo.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

I think I rode the RTS 2 maybe 3 times? I would see them in the deadline a couple times at Hillcrest, but never really rode on them.

Anyways for all you trolley bus fans, I have seen a photo of 9339 with lights on. She looks good:wub:. I am not showing the photo on here, as I am unsure if the poster would like me to repost their photo.

Where can find this picure of 9339?

Some of you older farts long-suffering with insomnia like me may remember this Global TV late night filler show. This episode has some nice video of the Spadina line and a ride on an H1. You can see the old "Arc-En-Ciel" neon light piece working at the beginning. There is also a Gloucester train ride around the 28 minute mark.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

Some of you older farts long-suffering with insomnia like me may remember this Global TV late night filler show. This episode has some nice video of the Spadina line and a ride on an H1. You can see the old "Arc-En-Ciel" neon light piece working at the beginning. There is also a Gloucester train ride around the 28 minute mark.

They even showed the Gloucester's lights flickering off and on.

• Like 1