bus is coming 1965

Winnipeg Transit 300-369 (2018 XD40)

This morning I spotted #328 and #329 arriving at the Fort Rouge garage... I assume fresh from the factory (there was a sheet in one of the side windows)! One of the drivers wasn't in uniform.

I'm sure there's a thread for this... but it would be really nice if Winnipeg Transit had a more lively paint scheme.

IMG_0631.jpg

Probably cheaper the way they are painted. Can't imagine the previous scheme with the disco stripe - which all the D30/D40/D60's had/have (including the retired D40 high-floors)- being cheap due to the decal. 

15 minutes ago, Viafreak said:

Probably cheaper the way they are painted. Can't imagine the previous scheme with the disco stripe - which all the D30/D40/D60's had/have (including the retired D40 high-floors)- being cheap due to the decal. 

I still think of orange as Transit's colour. I find the white livery yawn-inducing (although the variations in the black accent patches is a bit amusing). 

When I raise the boring colour[less] scheme with Transit people I get several justifications (cheaper, simpler to apply, easier to maintain, "cleaner", etc...) but the most novel explanation is that the advertising decals really stand out. 

The Transit improvement lobby group I volunteer with uses orange as a kind of shorthand or symbol for "when Transit was better".

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:29 AM, DavidW said:

I still think of orange as Transit's colour. I find the white livery yawn-inducing (although the variations in the black accent patches is a bit amusing). 

When I raise the boring colour[less] scheme with Transit people I get several justifications (cheaper, simpler to apply, easier to maintain, "cleaner", etc...) but the most novel explanation is that the advertising decals really stand out. 

The Transit improvement lobby group I volunteer with uses orange as a kind of shorthand or symbol for "when Transit was better".

The orange was "traction orange" - specifically designed to make interurban cars visible in the countryside. Some cities, Montreal for one, had that as a minority scheme for cars mostly dedicated to interurban-type service. One of the arguments for keeping oragne, according to a WFP letter years ago, was to make buses visible downtown.

I like to photograph and ride the orange D30LF's whenever I get the chance (I did when I rode Route 110 and 102 recently), because I like that paint scheme and I miss it. The modern schemes are boring IMO. The orange makes them easier to see in the winter too. White doesn't really contrast well against white, orange contrasts well against white.

On 9/25/2018 at 11:29 PM, DavidW said:

IMO if a white base livery is here to stay, they could still do a  modernized orange decal band around the top of the bus. Perhaps something like orange background with the T logo and 'Winnipeg Transit' in creme color. Other systems, i.e. Metro Transit (MN), MATBUS, Thunder Bay, use this decal method and it seems to work well.