doglover44

Edmonton Trolleys

On 1/4/2019 at 12:07 PM, Jaymaud0804 said:

You sure about 151? The wiki says it was scrapped in 2009.

I dug through some old photos from a visit in 2014 and found that it was one of the units stored at Centennial. 

ETS-151.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jaymaud0804 said:

Sorry, it's 152

No, Vancouver has 132. Here it is in the tent at Oakridge in Dec. 2011.

132-1.jpg

3 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

Why do you keep doubting me ?  You doubted when I said 151 was at Centennial and now this.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

No, Vancouver has 132. Here it is in the tent at Oakridge in Dec. 2011.

132-1.jpg

It's a joke. You said you hoped it was going to be convenient to pick it up, so I said "sorry, it's 152." 152 was scrapped in Bulgaria a year ago (and therefore not convenient)

The 151 thing was based on a mistake on the wiki.

2 hours ago, Jaymaud0804 said:

It's a joke. You said you hoped it was going to be convenient to pick it up, so I said "sorry, it's 152." 152 was scrapped in Bulgaria a year ago (and therefore not convenient)

The 151 thing was based on a mistake on the wiki.

OK. No harm done. I was beginning to think you may need glasses (joking of course). Which wiki is that ?  I only know of the CPTDB one. Perhaps you had better inform the other wiki people of their error.

On 1/5/2019 at 5:56 PM, captaintrolley said:

I ordered one. Does anyone know if it will ship by Canada Post or some other method? I really hope it ships by Canada Post because our building has a Canada Post parcel box.

My email said Canada Post & Storage...

1 hour ago, captaintrolley said:

OK. No harm done. I was beginning to think you may need glasses (joking of course). Which wiki is that ?  I only know of the CPTDB one. Perhaps you had better inform the other wiki people of their error.

That is the CPTDB wiki. https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Edmonton_transit_system_100-199

2 hours ago, Benton Harper said:

My email said Canada Post & Storage...

THANKS. My email just said unspecified.

I dug up my pictures and 151 was in Centennial Garage on June 12, 2009. So I'll just remove that scrapped date from the wiki. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2019 at 9:02 PM, A. Wong said:

I dug up my pictures and 151 was in Centennial Garage on June 12, 2009. So I'll just remove that scrapped date from the wiki. Thanks!

And 151 was in Centennial Garage in 2015. I literally saw it with 100,137,140,113 😊

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:33 PM, A. Wong said:

There is a new book now available for purchase that should have maps for each Canadian trolley system, including Edmonton. It is entitled "TIRES and WIRES: The story of electric trolley coaches serving sixteen Canadian cities"

For more information, see:

https://transitheritage.ca/tires-wires/

I  wrote a firsthand account of Winnipeg's last run in 1970 for that book.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2019 at 11:33 PM, A. Wong said:

There is a new book now available for purchase that should have maps for each Canadian trolley system, including Edmonton. It is entitled "TIRES and WIRES: The story of electric trolley coaches serving sixteen Canadian cities"

For more information, see:

https://transitheritage.ca/tires-wires/

The book is now out. The first 2/3 of the Edmonton section is mostly a direct lift from "Edmonton's Electric Transit" (1983); the last third covers the sordid saga of the last 25 years or so.

Ten years ago today, May 02, 2009, the last trolley ran in Edmonton. The music died and the lights went out changing the urban transit landscape forever.

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

So Trolley Substation No 600 is being renovated into a retail space along with the building besides it (on the right side of the photo). Gonna be interesting. Of course the work they are doing is going to be slow as molasses. I'm just wondering why they didn't keep the substation to power to West LRT when it goes through on Stony Plain Rd.

Photo2951.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

So Trolley Substation No 600 is being renovated into a retail space along with the building besides it (on the right side of the photo). Gonna be interesting. Of course the work they are doing is going to be slow as molasses. I'm just wondering why they didn't keep the substation to power to West LRT when it goes through on Stony Plain Rd.

Photo2951.jpg

If we're thinking logically, they might need a larger substation to power the trains than they did the trolleys. 

If thats not the case, well, its Edmonton and transit. Sounds as though the best decisions aren't made in that regard.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blake M said:

If we're thinking logically, they might need a larger substation to power the trains than they did the trolleys. 

If thats not the case, well, its Edmonton and transit. Sounds as though the best decisions aren't made in that regard.

The foot print is probably fine. I forget how many trolley circuits it could power. It's size doesn't look much smaller than some of the SLRT substations. Something could be shoehorned in if they wanted.... however... 

I don't think the best decision, whether or not it is Edmonton, would have been to repurpose a substation building built in the 1930's (ie building codes of the time etc) to power a modern LRT over 400m away. And who knows where the substations are even planned on the VWLRT. It could be that this substation is upwards of 1 km away from the ideal location for a new substation. Doesn't make sense to pay for the extra feeder cable, infrastructure and even line loss, simply to reuse an outdated structure that once powered electric transit.

• Like 4