doglover44

Edmonton Trolleys

13 hours ago, doglover44 said:

Why did they get rid of their trolley network ?

In a nutshell, laziness.  ETS and City Administration did not want to put forth the effort to run a proper trolley system. So with a hidden agenda, lots of propaganda, malicious lies about trolleys (to anyone that would listen - and also to the media) they set about their nefarious deeds to slander the trolleys. New route configurations purposely cut up trolley routes, or rendered them useless by adding on sections that had no wire, to lessen trolley kilometers and by the numbers this would show the trolley system as small and hardly worth it. By purposely sabotaging and fudging the numbers, plus trotting out all the old myths that trolleys are old, cumbersome, unreliable, etc. they fostered a  huge hate-on among employees and citizens for these innocent buses. Overhead was purposely neglected so that 'incidents' were more common, and commuters and drivers (bus and car) would gripe more and more about 'those useless buses'. Even with the demo E40LFR from Vancouver, it sat around more than it was out, and barely got any hype, while the hybrids (the flavor of the month bus) got tons of hype, media coverage, fancy ad wraps, and tons of ETS public relations and talking heads spewing out the word hybrid at every opportunity. The E40LFR was liked by operators and the public, but this got downplayed to the point of being ignored. Basically, ETS officials and senior management team at the city hoodwinked council and the citizens to get their way. It was dirty politics at its finest. Even if council had swung the other way, ETS would not run a fleet of new trolleys any more efficiently than their former fleet of BBC trolleys.  To run a trolley system, you have to WANT to run a trolley system. ETS would rather do what is easy, not what is right. They are paying for that decision now, but would never admit it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:16 AM, captaintrolley said:

In a nutshell, laziness.  ETS and City Administration did not want to put forth the effort to run a proper trolley system. So with a hidden agenda, lots of propaganda, malicious lies about trolleys (to anyone that would listen - and also to the media) they set about their nefarious deeds to slander the trolleys. New route configurations purposely cut up trolley routes, or rendered them useless by adding on sections that had no wire, to lessen trolley kilometers and by the numbers this would show the trolley system as small and hardly worth it. By purposely sabotaging and fudging the numbers, plus trotting out all the old myths that trolleys are old, cumbersome, unreliable, etc. they fostered a  huge hate-on among employees and citizens for these innocent buses. Overhead was purposely neglected so that 'incidents' were more common, and commuters and drivers (bus and car) would gripe more and more about 'those useless buses'. Even with the demo E40LFR from Vancouver, it sat around more than it was out, and barely got any hype, while the hybrids (the flavor of the month bus) got tons of hype, media coverage, fancy ad wraps, and tons of ETS public relations and talking heads spewing out the word hybrid at every opportunity. The E40LFR was liked by operators and the public, but this got downplayed to the point of being ignored. Basically, ETS officials and senior management team at the city hoodwinked council and the citizens to get their way. It was dirty politics at its finest. Even if council had swung the other way, ETS would not run a fleet of new trolleys any more efficiently than their former fleet of BBC trolleys.  To run a trolley system, you have to WANT to run a trolley system. ETS would rather do what is easy, not what is right. They are paying for that decision now, but would never admit it.

Another new twist they tried, besides the "visual pollution" of overhead" The trolleys run on "dirty" thermal power - as does the LRT. They tried to make the LRT look "clean", but trolleybuses "dirty" even though both got their power from the same source. Some of that even spilled over into the countryside around Edmonton. I remember a letter to the Edmonton Journal from someone in an outlying town saying the city could keep its dirty emissions; he didn't want them fouling his clean air.

A few Councillors - including now-Mayor Don Iveson - tried to fight the good fight. I once e-mailed the entire Council; Iveson was among the po-trolley Councillors who replied. (Karen Leibovici was another). Not one of the antis, including then-Mayor Steve Mandel, defiled my inbox. Most of those antis, including Mandel, were reelected the next year.

1 hour ago, Mark Walton said:

Another new twist they tried, besides the "visual pollution" of overhead" The trolleys run on "dirty" thermal power

Basically these statements are included in my phrase 'trotting out all the old myths', I just didn't want to list dozens of them. We all know what they old myths are.

When I went to the Trolleybus Museum in Sandtoft which has Edmonton BBC #189, I was told that the ant trolleybus people in Edmonton used the same false arguments that Britain used to abandon various trolleybus systems as well. 

Didn't Wellington also made that same excuse to get rid of its system? I read somewhere that the last day of its operation was even more low key than what Edmonton did---actually, hardly even celebrated at all besides a few fans that tried to boast it as much as they can, which would have otherwise not exist in any form. Very sad over there...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, sturmnacht said:

Didn't Wellington also made that same excuse to get rid of its system? I read somewhere that the last day of its operation was even more low key than what Edmonton did---actually, hardly even celebrated at all besides a few fans that tried to boast it as much as they can, which would have otherwise not exist in any form. Very sad over there...

Yes. Edmonton set a very dangerous precedent by doing what it did. Indeed Wellington was very sad. I could barely watch the Wellington videos without reliving the pain.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:55 PM, captaintrolley said:

Basically these statements are included in my phrase 'trotting out all the old myths', I just didn't want to list dozens of them. We all know what they old myths are.

To me the thermal power being dirty for trolleybuses, but not for LRT, was a new twist, I never heard that one before or since.

1 hour ago, Mark Walton said:

To me the thermal power being dirty for trolleybuses, but not for LRT, was a new twist, I never heard that one before or since.

I have, but then these clowns stay up at night conjuring up myths to hoodwink the public. It's a jolly sport for them.