Sign in to follow this  
Doppelkupplung

What do you enjoy most about the hobby?

Pretty straightforward question. We’re all here for some reason or another, we all enjoy transit and transportation, some to the point that many of us work in the industry. So I ask you:

a) what aspects of the hobby do you find yourself enjoying the most/ the most attractive

b ) what’s your earliest memory of getting bitten by the transportation bug?

• Like 2

Riding transit buses are what I enjoy most. I also like to spot older buses.

I remember that when I was 6, I was obsessed with OC Transpo to the point where I'd spend all day looking at buses. I remember liking all of their buses; but nowadays, I only like their older high floor buses. I still like their newer buses though.

I used to feel similarly, but as I've gotten older I've mellowed and found that the hobby continued to be worthwhile even after the extinction of the high floors. I've found an appreciation for the slowbox Orion VIIs that I never felt before, and honestly I really like the Novas, too - as far as new bus types go, I enjoy seeing them around the city. Bratislava is a place where there is a far bleaker prospect for the future, though fortunately Prague is close by and they have a lot of the same older vehicles, so it's not all disastrous.

By far, though, my favourite part of the hobby has to be the worldbuilding road I've gone down. What started originally as a foamer fantasy (brand new H4s being delivered in the year 2008??? what the fuck was I smoking???) ended up evolving into an extensive country building project, with focus not only on transport, but also geography, history, culture, and humanities. After many years, I've begun to map out the nation the cities are in, which I think is really cool.

I've been interested in vehicles for longer than I can remember, but it was when my family moved to Toronto and we had to rely on the TTC to get around that left an indelible impression on me as a future transit buff. I took almost immediately to the H5s and H6s, and would always insist that we let 2-3 trains pass by (if we weren't in a rush to be somewhere) so that we could catch an H-series. Ahhh, to be a kid again ^_^

• Sad 1

I too can relate. I used to think that there was nothing worthwhile anymore, but with our upcoming OC Transpo hybrid retirements later this year, I'm going to actually miss the hybrids.

Our last good bus was the Orion VI which we got rid of in 2013. We still have one in preservation. I don't know what the hell I was taking back in 2010, but I used to think that the Classics painted in the old livery were actually different buses than the ones painted in the newer maple leaf livery. 10 years ago, I barely knew anything about OC. Now, in 2018, my knowledge grew so much.

Our last REALLY good buses were the NovaBus Classics which retired back in 2010. I really miss them. 

On 4/15/2018 at 9:38 AM, PCC Guy said:

I took almost immediately to the H5s and H6s, and would always insist that we let 2-3 trains pass by (if we weren't in a rush to be somewhere) so that we could catch an H-series. Ahhh, to be a kid again ^_^

100% relatable. When I was younger I would insist to wait for an H-series, then when I got older and started travelling alone I didn't need to insist, I would just wait on my own, sometimes an hour or more :P (especially in their final days). I have a few childhood memories of riding the 81-717's in Moscow, which explains why they are another favorite of mine. At least, on that side of the Atlantic, the 81-717's are still the backbone of the fleet and aren't going anywhere for the forseeable future. Growing up with something does leave a powerful impact on you that rules over your life later on (and this applies not only to transit).

On 4/15/2018 at 9:38 AM, PCC Guy said:

brand new H4s being delivered in the year 2008??? what the fuck was I smoking???

lol well at least it's true of the 81-717's: Moscow had the last 81-717.5M's (built 1993-2014) delivered in 2010, which are (from a passenger's perspective) nearly identical to the original ones from the late 70's/80's, but physically about 30 years younger. Then there are the numerous modernizations that were created over the years (some as recent as 2017), but most of them are different enough to be considered a different type of car (equally different as an H1-4 vs H5/6, or H5/6 vs T1).

a) Nothing amuses me about transit fanning in Calgary anymore. The buses that I went after when I was in grade school are now gone. (GM Fishbowls, MCI Classics, and 1993 D40LFs).  I only transit-fan when I travel out of Calgary as it's something different.

b ) My first recollections of being a transit fan were when I was three years old. My dad showed me a website on Transit in Hungary. I printed my favorite pictures and kept them in several binders over a couple years. I was mainly fascinated into Streetcars, Metro and Locomotives built by the USSR and less of buses. Took a break from that and then started becoming fascinated with transit in Calgary back when I was in Grade 7 (2010) with the new SD-160s Series 8 cars and GM Fishbowls. I continued the hobby, meeting other members of this site and then eventually lost interest in transit-fanning and move onto plane spotting. Which it turns out, motivation from spotting encouraged me to become a pilot. 

My answer to this question would depend on the time frame we're talking about.

5 years ago, I enjoyed it for the interesting equipment (think high floor and two-stroke buses) still around back then.. and with the lack of tracking software (i.e. Transit55) at the time, the excitement and satisfaction of catching images/video of something rare after waiting on a downtown street for a good several hours. It was that, that truly made it addicting.

Now today, with most of the said "interesting equipment" gone, I enjoy it for the childhood memories! And of course riding brand new equipment rolling in every now and then which is still always great fun.

For me, what i enjoy most is getting rare sightings. In my area thats really all i fan these days. If there isnt any rare sightings out, i usually dont even bother fanning that day. Some examples of rare sightings are in the pics below.

I also enjoy getting pics of and riding older buses, but there isnt much of that where i live anymore.

IMG_20171225_175720_118.jpg

IMG_20180224_231013_877.jpg

IMG_20171226_230917_478.jpg

• Like 1