University of Washington (Seattle)

Atomic Taco

Time for a new, dedicated thread.  Has been discussed here and here, probably also another time or two in that thread.

They have a few new buses running on the Health Sciences Express line.  This photo was taken March 21 and sent to me:

hbs3qdl.jpg

They are apparently Fords; can't tell who makes the body.  The tracker shows those are 910-912, but the fleet number on the windshield/body of one actually shows 67912.

590-594 are officially done.  590 is on the auction block.  594 is parked next to it and will probably be listed in the next couple of weeks.

The CPTDB Wiki page has details of much of the bus fleet.

• Like 2

That 'bus' looks like the child of a Glaval and a bakery van... I hope the streets it travels aren't very bumpy.

How much ridership does the UoWA HSE get? I wonder if these new things have a better capacity or if they are just supposed to be more cost efficient then getting and maintaining used 30' transit buses.

• Haha 1

On 4/7/2018 at 6:37 PM, Atomic Taco said:

Time for a new, dedicated thread.  Has been discussed here and here, probably also another time or two in that thread.

They have a few new buses running on the Health Sciences Express line.  This photo was taken March 21 and sent to me:

hbs3qdl.jpg

They are apparently Fords; can't tell who makes the body.  The tracker shows those are 910-912, but the fleet number on the windshield/body of one actually shows 67912.

590-594 are officially done.  590 is on the auction block.  594 is parked next to it and will probably be listed in the next couple of weeks.

The CPTDB Wiki page has details of much of the bus fleet.

It took quite a bit of research... but I found who made that bus body. It’s a Starcraft Quest XL.

It appears to no longer be in production. It also appears to have been primarily designed to be a school bus.

The body is on a Ford F-59 “step van” stripped chassis. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2018 at 7:02 PM, MVTArider said:

That 'bus' looks like the child of a Glaval and a bakery van... I hope the streets it travels aren't very bumpy.

How much ridership does the UoWA HSE get? I wonder if these new things have a better capacity or if they are just supposed to be more cost efficient then getting and maintaining used 30' transit buses.

Those tiny wheels and tires. Ugh.

The UW HSE does get some decent ridership. I was surprised when their own 30ft Gilligs were retired and replaced with hand-me-downs from King County Metro. Their own coaches were a little newer and certainly had been subjected to less wear over their lifespan.

But the UW motor pool or whatever they call it maintains these things along side their fleet of cars, vans and service trucks. I suspect something like this is a little easier to maintain than a heavy diesel bus for mechanics that spend most of their time on Fords, Chevys, etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
23 hours ago, Atomic Taco said:

If you're a UW department and have a need to rent a bus good news: it's only $2578.70 per month and $1.19 per mile.  Via https://facilities.uw.edu/services/rates/fleet (UW NetID required)

image.thumb.png.218d9002a287dc5d352abd89b99718fd.png

$1.19/mile is waaaaaay below market rate.

Also, the UW has a blanket contract for charter bus services (non-athletic department) with specified rates.....

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...