Sign in to follow this  
MatthewGr

New Prevost

2 hours ago, MatthewGr said:

Anyone know about the new Prevost 

you mean like the used buses they purchased or a completely new bus ?

Several of them are out roaming the US already... 867xx series. One came into Detroit tagged out of service a couple weeks ago because it had been rear ended and the engine door was jammed. One of the more eccentric drivers took it anyway because he “was leaving on time”... always good times at Greyhound.

41 minutes ago, dev161 said:

I saw this online recently has Texas plates, are these new buses or old? 

Screen_Shot_2018-01-31_at_14.20.49.png

Screen_Shot_2018-01-31_at_14.17.49.png

I believe those were on Demo to greyhound last year at some point. I remember seeing a lot of comments on them in another thread. 

Saw 86716 in Detroit today... Built 10/17 as a model year 18 x3-45... I’m gonna hazard a guess that this series starts at 86700 but this is only the second one I’ve seen so far come into the terminal here...

13 hours ago, ns8401 said:

Saw 86716 in Detroit today... Built 10/17 as a model year 18 x3-45... I’m gonna hazard a guess that this series starts at 86700 but this is only the second one I’ve seen so far come into the terminal here...

I guess the order is coming in slowly very slow 

10 hours ago, MatthewGr said:

I guess the order is coming in slowly very slow 

One of the managers told me a couple weeks back that “they keep all the new buses out east and we get all the junk”... judging by the ungodly number of 102DL3’s half rusted away that I see come through the terminal every day while I’m loading or unloading passengers I would say he’s right...

6 hours ago, ns8401 said:

One of the managers told me a couple weeks back that “they keep all the new buses out east and we get all the junk”... judging by the ungodly number of 102DL3’s half rusted away that I see come through the terminal every day while I’m loading or unloading passengers I would say he’s right...

The South Georgia Florida The Carolinas have their own beautiful MCI coaches. Interesting they have state buses 

2 hours ago, MatthewGr said:

The South Georgia Florida The Carolinas have their own beautiful MCI coaches. Interesting they have state buses 

So does Michigan... 26 between two companies. 10 x3-45’s and 16 D4505’s spread between Greyhound and Indian Trails. 4 of the 2014 D’s IT has are already being replaced this year and 4 next year. That I know of none of the 8 Greyhound D’s are up for replacement. I don’t think they’d buy any more X’s anyways... Indian Trails has lots of trouble with theirs, I vastly prefer driving them ergonomically but the build quality is horrid.

I see the Georgia and South Carolina coaches regularly up here... don’t think I’ve seen a FL coach yet... the Michigan ones are restricted to a certain distance outside the state but apparently the other states didn’t restrict their coaches that way. 

1 hour ago, ns8401 said:

So does Michigan... 26 between two companies. 10 x3-45’s and 16 D4505’s spread between Greyhound and Indian Trails. 4 of the 2014 D’s IT has are already being replaced this year and 4 next year. That I know of none of the 8 Greyhound D’s are up for replacement. I don’t think they’d buy any more X’s anyways... Indian Trails has lots of trouble with theirs, I vastly prefer driving them ergonomically but the build quality is horrid.

I see the Georgia and South Carolina coaches regularly up here... don’t think I’ve seen a FL coach yet... the Michigan ones are restricted to a certain distance outside the state but apparently the other states didn’t restrict their coaches that way. 

I’m waiting on my background to clear so I can get into Greyhounds driver class for April 23. I already took physical and drug test last week

20 hours ago, ns8401 said:

To each his own; I personally swear by the 102DL3 and dislike the newer equipment but Greyhound has not maintained them well.

Reno gets all the terrible D4505s.

2 hours ago, Swadian said:

To each his own; I personally swear by the 102DL3 and dislike the newer equipment but Greyhound has not maintained them well.

Well sooner or later they will all be gone. Greyhound needs more maintenance shops will be interesting to see how the prevost retro fitted buses will be

4 hours ago, Swadian said:

I haven’t ever driven a 102DL3 so I won’t say much about them vs. a D4505 (I drive those regularly) but I will say that they seem to have rusted away rather quickly after their refurbishments... I don’t know if Greyhounds poor maintenance contributes greatly to the rust issue or not. I have been thinking though: just how many times can you refurbish a bus? Some of the oldest are 20 years old now... at some point that stat alone is embarrassing... refurbishments are good and well but it’s a far cry from the days when Greyhound regularly bought new coaches and got rid of old ones.

By comparison Our 8 2014 D4505’s have about 500,000 miles on them and they are getting rid of 4 junk ones and getting 4 new D’s... hopefully New Flyer has improved them somewhat in the last 4 years. We have three others from the same series that are good solid buses and the last one burned up a few months ago... I much prefer getting a Prevost these days... is there another interline company besides Greyhound that runs buses older than 10 years?

16 hours ago, ns8401 said:

I haven’t ever driven a 102DL3 so I won’t say much about them vs. a D4505 (I drive those regularly) but I will say that they seem to have rusted away rather quickly after their refurbishments... I don’t know if Greyhounds poor maintenance contributes greatly to the rust issue or not. I have been thinking though: just how many times can you refurbish a bus? Some of the oldest are 20 years old now... at some point that stat alone is embarrassing... refurbishments are good and well but it’s a far cry from the days when Greyhound regularly bought new coaches and got rid of old ones.

I've had it referenced to me that a quality coach bus (MCI or Prevost) can typically last up to a maximum of 30 years. Mind you, to reach that age it typically needs two refurbishments and a high-quality maintenance program. Greyhound puts a lot more mileage on their coaches than a typical company and their coaches have only had one major refurb. I'd also argue that over the past decade (since 2009), Greyhound has been purchasing a significant quantity of new coaches compared to the decade before that, so they are putting *some* effort into their fleet.

16 hours ago, ns8401 said:

By comparison Our 8 2014 D4505’s have about 500,000 miles on them and they are getting rid of 4 junk ones and getting 4 new D’s... hopefully New Flyer has improved them somewhat in the last 4 years. We have three others from the same series that are good solid buses and the last one burned up a few months ago... I much prefer getting a Prevost these days... is there another interline company besides Greyhound that runs buses older than 10 years?

Coach Canada, which runs a lot of service in southern Ontario, uses their J4500 buses from 2004-2011 on much of their line runs. Until about a year ago, the 53xxx series J4500s from 2004-2005 were wrapped for Megabus and were primarily used on the line runs. Many of the J4500s have been sold off now though, and remaining ones (mostly newer) have been/are being put through a refurbishment program. That's just an local example of a company using 10+ year old buses on line runs.

On 4/5/2018 at 11:25 AM, dev161 said:

I saw this online recently has Texas plates, are these new buses or old? 

Screen_Shot_2018-01-31_at_14.20.49.png

Screen_Shot_2018-01-31_at_14.17.49.png

On 4/5/2018 at 12:08 PM, JCWhite said:

I believe those were on Demo to greyhound last year at some point. I remember seeing a lot of comments on them in another thread. 

Sorry to drag this back in, but got a bit curious. Looks like a Scania Irizar; what's it doing up there? I've only seen those in Mexico. Didn't know they were certified for US roads. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Sorry to drag this back in, but got a bit curious. Looks like a Scania Irizar; what's it doing up there? I've only seen those in Mexico. Didn't know they were certified for US roads. 

Irizar launched a version of their integral i6 for the United States in 2016.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, NeOn Bus Rider said:

I saw some white X3's at the Toronto Yard with First Canada Graphics on them. I am not sure if they're new or refurbished hand me downs.

The information on these are spread over (at least) two different threads. Would be nice if it was in one spot but eh...

Those white X3-45 coaches used to run up out of Fort McMurray in the oil patch, owned by First. They lost the contract, so to make use out of them they are transferring all 35 coaches down to Greyhound. 6 based in Vancouver and assuming the remaining units will probably be out of Toronto/Ontario.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2018 at 1:10 AM, ns8401 said:

I just saw this, so.....    https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Adirondack_Trailways_62976-62977

They are up for sale, though...😊