Bus Network Redesign

A. Wong

6 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

Just wondering how many bus riders, from looking at the bus stop signs, figured that their route number would be changing, but were not aware the routes would also be changing?  For example, people boarding the route 901 Jasper Place WB on 107 Ave figuring it would be like the 'old rte 3' and then being surprised when it didn't turn onto 124 Street ???  Will be fun tomorrow, I would love to be a fly on the wall. 

Quite frankly, if they paid attention at their start point and end point, they either see the same route number, or a different route number.

If they notice that the destination bus stop sign has a different route number than the originating bus stop sign, hopefully they have the common sense to check into the changes. If not. I have no sympathy.

56 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

Quite frankly, if they paid attention at their start point and end point, they either see the same route number, or a different route number.

If they notice that the destination bus stop sign has a different route number than the originating bus stop sign, hopefully they have the common sense to check into the changes. If not. I have no sympathy.

Agreed, but not all people pay attention. Buses are usually the last thing on peoples minds.

When I was at the last open house that they had regarding the changes they said then that lot of these routes are designed for LRT but certain routes will be modified again once the train is operational. The idea is lakewood terminal and millgate will be closing so routes that service one or both of them will be rerouted to connect with an actual LRT station, they also had said that due to less service on certain roads after the LRT opens with buses being rerouted that there would be more on demand buses or a few new routes to serve areas that will lose service when the LRT is operational. They also said that when the west LRT to WEM and Lewis Farms opens that there would be more route changes because they want less buses serving WEM transit centre and eventually Jasper Place would close and all routes would serve the LRT. 

I do agree this network is mostly configured for the new LRT lines, however some of the routes will not be necessary or for example it wouldn't make sense to have a bus run from WEM to Jasper place and then you would need another bus to go down the street to take the LRT, or backtrack to WEM to go back towards downtown passing the area around 149th which as we know is very close to Jasper Place.

I am going to make a trip this summer to Edmonton so I can see the system better and see how it runs.  Right now I am looking mostly at maps and listening to a lot of the people I know in Edmonton, as well as using apps like Transit, and the transit55 website, so I may be misinformed but some of my information did come from open houses when I did live in Edmonton. 

For the first Monday of the new system, I am very happy with the bus service changes to my neighborhood. For context, it did not have any bus service running through it previously. Being a newer suburban neighborhood, there are many young families. I will occasionally see people walking from the closest main avenue, and I assume that many times it is someone who took the bus to the closest stop and is walking home. 

Having lived here for almost 4 years now, I have taken the bus home to the closest stop a grand total of 2 times. I primarily drive everywhere.

It was previously about a 500m walk for me to the closest bus stop with service, and I consider myself fairly close to the main avenue. Others could easily add another 1000m to their walk home if they lived further north in the neighborhood. Now, I just have to walk less than a block (~100m) to a bus stop in either direction to connect me to an LRT station.

I monitored the activity periodically today through transit55.ca and watched the buses rolled by.

In the morning peak, there were 8 assigned units. This provided frequent enough service for me to watch one bus go by northbound, and two southbound within several minutes of one another. The schedule is 12 minute frequency during this time.

In the mid-day, 4 buses were assigned to the route when I checked. This makes sense since the demand is less, and still provides a consistent 30-minute frequency.

For the afternoon peak, again, 8 assigned units provides for 15 minute service.

Then for the evening it goes to 30 minute service again.

For what it's worth, most of the units I saw today had bike racks. Not sure if this is somehow assigned in the new system, or if most of the fleet running out of Kathleen Andrews Garage now has bike racks.

With this level of service in the peak hours, I would absolutely consider taking the bus to commute to/from work again. I am sure many people in the neighborhood are happy to have fixed route service to their homes, except for those who were parking their vehicles in the bus stops which are now active. :)

EDIT: As a follow up, looks like the fleet is all bike rack equipped: https://bikeedmonton.ca/bikes-on-transit

• Like 2

To continue on my analysis on my neighborhood route, evening service is indeed 4 units assigned.

This evening, it was 12 minutes between a northbound bus and a southbound bus.

I looked again at the peak hour service and added 4 minutes from a timing point to get the following numbers...

27 minutes to get to Belvedere

18 minutes to get to Clareview

It would be 9 minutes extra on the Belvedere trip, but it does get one LRT station further south. The wait for the next bus would be 12 minutes.

After the local service ends (last bus approximately 10:00PM through the neighborhood in either direction), there is a route serving the previously closest bus stop I mentioned (about 500m away) until just after midnight on an hourly frequency. So there is a bit of a later option too.

Overall, again, I am impressed with the new service and I think the community will benefit from this.

• Like 1