Sign in to follow this  
A. Wong

Bus Network Redesign

The City of Edmonton is doing a major overhaul of its bus-route network in an effort to get more people to take transit.

The city has released a draft plan of its transit strategy, approved by council last year, that shows the new bus network.

"This initiative is redesigning our bus routes from scratch," Sarah Feldman, director of planning and scheduling at Edmonton Transit Service, said Thursday.

Feldman said the city got input from thousands of Edmontonians and the majority said they want more frequent bus service.

In the proposed redesign, the number of main routes is slashed from 200 to 100. 

"We've thinned them out, so we've reduced overlap and we've straightened some routes," Feldman explained. "They're not winding through, for example, all the neighbourhood collector roads." 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-1.4599301?share=a4103d4d

• Like 1

Is that really going to BOOST ridership? 10 minute walk may be okay for able bodied people but people with walkers, wheelchairs, crutches, or people having to walk in snow and ice won't like having to walk 10 minutes to a bus stop if they live in a rural area. 

1 hour ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Is that really going to BOOST ridership? 10 minute walk may be okay for able bodied people but people with walkers, wheelchairs, crutches, or people having to walk in snow and ice won't like having to walk 10 minutes to a bus stop if they live in a rural area. 

It's a good thing Edmonton doesn't have bus service to any rural areas then.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's just the designations they are using during the planning stages at the open houses.

No sense in confusing people by using numbers that conflict with existing routes. 

Why hasn't ETS put the terminus labels on the stops? Often times it's a coin toss of which direction I'll end up. Sure, you can check using your phone but there are some old school passengers who check the signs on the stops, or someone's phone is dead.

On 12/23/2018 at 5:43 PM, Firebrand said:

Why hasn't ETS put the terminus labels on the stops? Often times it's a coin toss of which direction I'll end up. Sure, you can check using your phone but there are some old school passengers who check the signs on the stops, or someone's phone is dead.

"Old school" passengers know which stop to use I guess as we've never* had terminus labels on stops. I guess map reading skills are going away in this day in age? For the last 22ish years I've figured out which stop to use by looking at a map.

*Pre-Horizon 2000 (June 29, 1997, 20 years ago) some bus stops would have listed the routes and terminals. That vast majority would not have. With the Horizon 2000 changes a new bus stop sign was introduced which now included route numbers. At bus terminals the bus stop signs are different and do indeed include destinations.

Personally, I feel having the route numbers that serve the stop to be good enough. Perhaps if have you have no sense of direction or are unfamiliar with an area I could appreciate that one could have a bit tougher of a time picking out which bus stop to use. 

What have you so far experienced with ETS in regards to this "coin toss" that you don't know which direction you'll end up going?

1 hour ago, M. Parsons said:

*Pre-Horizon 2000 (June 29, 1997, 20 years ago) some bus stops would have listed the routes and terminals.

Peak hour routes used to be listed on the bus stop in red lettering. I miss that. But yeah, old school passengers basically know which way they are headed so destinations would not be needed on the sign. Lots of stops didn't have any routes on them, which meant that every bus that went by there would make that stop if required to do so.