Bus Network Redesign

A. Wong

21 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Clearly, you didn't even attempt to Google "TransEd" or "Edmonton regional transit authority".

TransEd is the P3 that is building and operating the Valley Line SE LRT.

Nothing to do with RTSC or the network redesign. 

ETS Network Resign launches April 25, 2021. Purely City of Edmonton.

3 separate things.

The RTSC is hiring for a CEO at this point, so anything is still a ways off for the RTSC to actually start being involved in bus service. Likely 2022.

Ah. I understand that part. I know that TransEd will be operating buses at some point, because Fort Sask wouldn't have joined (https://www.fortsask.ca/en/living-here/rtsc.aspx). I'd love to make the trip from Vancouver when TransEd is operating rail and bus.  

Thanks for the info!

1 hour ago, Urban_96 said:

Ah. I understand that part. I know that TransEd will be operating buses at some point, because Fort Sask wouldn't have joined (https://www.fortsask.ca/en/living-here/rtsc.aspx). I'd love to make the trip from Vancouver when TransEd is operating rail and bus.  

Thanks for the info!

TransEd is the P3 that is building and operating the Valley Line SE LRT.

Nothing to do with RTSC or the network redesign. 

**They will not operate buses. Ever.**

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, translinkedi337m said:

Was on a walk down Savaryn Drive in Summerside a while back and looks like they've put on the signs for bus stop closures already. April seems like a weird time to me, since the school year doesn't end until June.

Agreed. Why not just do it on Canada Day or something, to minimize the impacts and softly launch it during a holiday/test it out on a holiday passenger load versus rush hour, to work out any flaws of the design before mass implementation? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, armorand said:

Agreed. Why not just do it on Canada Day or something, to minimize the impacts and softly launch it during a holiday/test it out on a holiday passenger load versus rush hour, to work out any flaws of the design before mass implementation? 

No, that's way too obvious, of course they can't do that. They just have to change it then so that students are left scrambling to the new bus network the moment the new quarter starts. One thing they also forgot to account for is that it takes more time to walk through snow in the winter.

17 hours ago, brookiedbj said:

This. We get winter every year, adjust your leave times

I'm well aware of that. I'm young and perfectly able to do so. While I can manage the extra walk, what about people in their 60s? Not all of them can afford or are eligible for DATS. Also, that isn't even my main issue. My main issue is the lack of a transition period. There should be some trial runs of the system to see how people actually receive it rather than just start it at the Monday of a new week all of a sudden.

17 minutes ago, translinkedi337m said:

I'm well aware of that. I'm young and perfectly able to do so. While I can manage the extra walk, what about people in their 60s? Not all of them can afford or are eligible for DATS. Also, that isn't even my main issue. My main issue is the lack of a transition period. There should be some trial runs of the system to see how people actually receive it rather than just start it at the Monday of a new week all of a sudden.

But then that raises the question of what defines a smooth transition. You either implement a new route or you don't, and honestly at the end of the day, there will be people caught off guard and confused in the beginning no matter how you do it. When we had our major system redesigns here in Calgary in the last few years, we didn't have trial runs either but rather plenty of public engagement and good communication of info. Hopefully there's no shortage of this in Edmonton especially with such a big change. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, translinkedi337m said:

There should be some trial runs of the system to see how people actually receive it rather than just start it at the Monday of a new week all of a sudden.

Literally no system does that. 

Is there a reason why your cohort of fellow passengers is different or unique compared with those in every other major city in North America?

2 hours ago, Nick B said:

But then that raises the question of what defines a smooth transition. You either implement a new route or you don't, and honestly at the end of the day, there will be people caught off guard and confused in the beginning no matter how you do it.

The original plan for the network redesign called for each quadrant of the City to be changed at different times. Fortunately, we didn't go that route as Council told Transit to do it all in one shot.

2 hours ago, translinkedi337m said:

While I can manage the extra walk, what about people in their 60s? Not all of them can afford or are eligible for DATS.

Do you realize that DATS cost the exact same as regular transit? There are not even specific DATS fare products.

3 hours ago, translinkedi337m said:

My main issue is the lack of a transition period. There should be some trial runs of the system to see how people actually receive it rather than just start it at the Monday of a new week all of a sudden.

It's not possible to do that. When you're changing the fundamental system as much as this change will be, there is no way to run a trial or transition.

The closest thing will be that the 150x, Valley Line SE route until the LRT opens, overlaps after the LRT opens to allow rides to transition for a time period.

Also, it's starting on a Sunday not Monday... it's a minor fact, but, accuracy in posting is important.

3 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

The original plan for the network redesign called for each quadrant of the City to be changed at different times. Fortunately, we didn't go that route as Council told Transit to do it all in one shot.

Do you realize that DATS cost the exact same as regular transit? There are not even specific DATS fare products.

It's not possible to do that. When you're changing the fundamental system as much as this change will be, there is no way to run a trial or transition.

The closest thing will be that the 150x, Valley Line SE route until the LRT opens, overlaps after the LRT opens to allow rides to transition for a time period.

Also, it's starting on a Sunday not Monday... it's a minor fact, but, accuracy in posting is important.

510X Martin.

But yes, everything Martin has said is true. There is no way to trial such a massive overhaul to Edmonton Transit. It has to be all or nothing.

39 minutes ago, brookiedbj said:

510X Martin.

But yes, everything Martin has said is true. There is no way to trial such a massive overhaul to Edmonton Transit. It has to be all or nothing.

I always flip 510 around.?  Oddly, there is a 520X listed on at least one bus stop sign, but, no listing when I last checked on the April 25, 2021 on the ETS page. I'd speculate it is a second LRT replacement bus. 

PXL_20201123_190651610~3.jpg

On 11/25/2020 at 8:18 PM, M. Parsons said:

I always flip 510 around.?  Oddly, there is a 520X listed on at least one bus stop sign, but, no listing when I last checked on the April 25, 2021 on the ETS page. I'd speculate it is a second LRT replacement bus. 

PXL_20201123_190651610~3.jpg

By the way, I just realized you're one of the owners of barp.ca. Massive respect.

Seeing as this hasn't been mentioned around here yet...

Rte 700 -- Heritage Valley Park N' Ride is finally starting this Monday. New numbering scheme = may as well throw it in this thread.

On 11/27/2020 at 11:11 PM, translinkedi337m said:

By the way, I just realized you're one of the owners of barp.ca. Massive respect.

I have "massive respect" for how he never updates his side of the Photo of the Month feature?? :D

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

That's it! The one I was going to do for December is CANCELLED. ?

In that case I'll put up that shot of ETS #30 with your legs sticking out from under the bus. Caption: Martin cancels update after being thrown under the bus by multiple CPTDB members :lol:

• Haha 4

On 11/28/2020 at 1:07 PM, T6H-5307N said:

Seeing as this hasn't been mentioned around here yet...

Rte 700 -- Heritage Valley Park N' Ride is finally starting this Monday. New numbering scheme = may as well throw it in this thread.

I have "massive respect" for how he never updates his side of the Photo of the Month feature?? :D

"Photos of Edmonton Returning Soon!"

Never have I ever seen a bigger joke

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, 8010 said:

Looks like they added school special and seasonal routes as well as adjusted some of the routes on the interactive map. Plus there's regional routes as well now.

Recently?

The current map hasn't changed as far as I can tell since it was posted? Certainly everything you listed has been there since September or October.