YUL Bus Charters - 2018 Activities

SMS

SAVE THE DATES:

Saturday 5 May - Shawinigan RTCS/TUM. Priority bus ex-RTL 1998 LFS, if not backup is ex-RTC LFS (trip likely to begin in the afternoon)

*** please note: it is possible that we may offer a shuttle using a historically preserved bus leaving STTR garage in Trois-Rivières to arrive at the Shawinigan bus garage. Charter costs do not include the shuttle. Donations will be expected to share fuel expenses.

Sunday 6 May - Trois-Rivières STTR. Priority bus STTR 9701 (the oldest vehicle in the fleet), if not the vehicle will be selected by volunteer operator Félix Parent-Rocheleau (trip likely to begin in the morning)

*** after the event, it is likely that Félix will sortie his fishbowl for a tour of the city. Please note that this is NOT a charter but a joy ride / fan trip. 2018 is the final year that bus 8202 will be in its current livery. Also note that STTR has planned a major network change effective this summer.

Times, costs, and food stops to be determined. Minimum 3 hour LFS charter per day. Yard visits should be expected at the end of each event. A weekend pass will be issued at a discounted rate compared to pricing for individual days.

If there is not enough interest to justify the trip, we will consider a STO Classic charter on one of the days mentioned instead.

Please indicate attendance (yulbuscharters at gmail dot com). Another close collaboration is expected with local transit experts. We hope to offer yet another successful and memorable charter weekend in the Mauricie region!

Regards,

SMS, President, YUL Bus Charters

PS management reserves the right to restrict and/or refuse admission

• 1 month later...

Final update for our charters this weekend:

SATURDAY: The Shawinigan charter will begin at 1245 pm from the garage (10272 Boulevard des Hêtres, Grand-Mère, QC G9T 6K1), returning at 345 pm. We have requested the ex-RTL first gen LFS as priority bus, if not we will have ex-RTC first gen. A bathroom break is planned midway through the charter, where it will be possible to meet other RTCS/TUM buses.

Please note: a shuttle service will be offered between Trois-Rivières and Shawinigan. 8202 co-owner Félix Parent-Rocheleau has generously made available his bus to participants. The shuttle will depart the STTR bus garage (2000 Rue Bellefeuille, Trois-Rivières, QC G9A 3Y2) at 11:50 am. Parking is available on the premises of both bus garages. Recommended donation: minimum $20 per day. Once the charter is done and the yard visit is completed, we will return to STTR garage.

Optional dinner: Buffet Le Sieur. Please contact us if you are interested in attending so that we may make a reservation. Charter costs do not cover dinner!

SUNDAY: The Trois-Rivières charter will begin at 900 am from the garage (2000 Rue Bellefeuille, Trois-Rivières, QC G9A 3Y2), returning at 100 pm. We have requested the oldest bus in the fleet, first gen LFS 9701. Once again, a bathroom break is planned at a busy terminal, where it will be possible to meet other STTR buses.

Please note: after the charter, Félix will offer a tour of his city in his bus 8202. Take notice that this is not a charter, merely a joy ride. Recommended donation: minimum $20 per day. There is no estimated time that the activity will end at the time of writing.

Optional dinner: Restaurant Stratos or Le Grec. Please contact us if you are interested in attending so that we may make a reservation. Charter costs do not cover dinner!

Costs: $30 for one day. Weekend pass available for $50. Exact bills appreciated.

All sun angles have been verified with the help of Félix Parent-Rocheleau. This will be a great weekend in Mauricie!

Please respect boarding times and directives from the charter directors. 

Thank you for your support!

SMS

Registration is now closed. If you wish to be put on the waiting list, please contact me by e-mail or phone immediately. No private messages on CPTDB please.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to thank those who took the time and trouble of joining us on our latest excursion to the Mauricie region. We had relatively modest turnout for our first weekend of the year, but were still able to turn a profit. I fully intend on using said profit to pay for an extra hour at STO later this year. Details on this and other activities to be posted at a later date.

We greatly appreciate the participation and efforts of our volunteer drivers Simon and Félix. It deserves to be said that Félix (and the other two co-owners) were kind enough to bring their bus 8202 out for the events. Preserving a bus is no easy feat, and we support their arduous task by contributing financially. Overall, we raised slightly over $600 for 8202 over two days! Thanks to the participants for giving generously, perhaps it will be next year that we see 8202 in CITF colours.

Here are the group pictures guys! It is hoped to return to the Mauricie region in the next year or two!

IMG_8645a.jpg

IMG_8835a.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:06 AM, SMS said:

I would like to thank those who took the time and trouble of joining us on our latest excursion to the Mauricie region. We had relatively modest turnout for our first weekend of the year, but were still able to turn a profit. I fully intend on using said profit to pay for an extra hour at STO later this year. Details on this and other activities to be posted at a later date.

We greatly appreciate the participation and efforts of our volunteer drivers Simon and Félix. It deserves to be said that Félix (and the other two co-owners) were kind enough to bring their bus 8202 out for the events. Preserving a bus is no easy feat, and we support their arduous task by contributing financially. Overall, we raised slightly over $600 for 8202 over two days! Thanks to the participants for giving generously, perhaps it will be next year that we see 8202 in CITF colours.

Here are the group pictures guys! It is hoped to return to the Mauricie region in the next year or two!

IMG_8645a.jpg

IMG_8835a.jpg

Is 8202 ex-STO?

In order to contribute to the Wiki, any contribution with Creative Commons licence from volunteer participants that depicts Shawinigan TUM vehicles and STTR minis is warmly welcome. Attributions will be properly given.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

Could I ask why ex-Calgary? Wouldn't it be better to try to track down a NovaBus? I mean, those have air conditioning. Last I heard, they were still active.

You'd better check your sources because according to the STO, only the ex-Calgary Classics remain.

Mario has more real (not facebook or instagram- real live people!) industry contacts than the rest of us put together.

Have a little faith that he’s actually done the legwork necessary and exhausted all avenues.

If he says there are none left, I take him at his word.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

Mario has more real (not facebook or instagram- real live people!) industry contacts than the rest of us put together.

Have a little faith that he’s actually done the legwork necessary and exhausted all avenues.

If he says there are none left, I take him at his word.

I agree. However he usually comes to me for confirming availability. He once got sources that told him (4 months ago) that STO retired all genuine STO classics when at the time it wasn't true (they keep 9512 & 9519)

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:02 PM, OCTranspoMaster said:

I agree. However he usually comes to me for confirming availability. He once got sources that told him (4 months ago) that STO retired all genuine STO classics when at the time it wasn't true (they keep 9512 & 9519)

I wrote a reply but I lost it. Suffice it to say that if you don't like the way that I organize my charters, feel free to organize your own. I refuse to pester the STO every day for fleet updates just because you disagree with the information that I brought forward. At this point, I will go with the list my contact gave me from the head office. If you can provide photo evidence with EXIF data showing otherwise, I welcome it, or else this is hearsay. I also want a little recognition for the fact that I am organizing a fan trip 200 km away with the little free time that I have. We have been doing business with STO since 2011 every year except 2013 (knee injury). Sorry for speaking bluntly but my opinion is just as valid as yours may be.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Slight update. I have worked on a draft itinerary for our STO charter yesterday. We will visit some sectors of Gatineau that we have never been to before, and also travel on routes that will be modified or abolished shortly. At present, it looks like a minimum four hour charter with the possibility of extending to five hours if there is enough interest and demand. There will be no lunch stop, you are expected to eat beforehand. Dinner arrangements afterwards are on your own as I have a family commitment after. I expect to drive the itinerary some time next week to test out sun angles and feasibility. Ticket costs are not likely to be under $40. We are beginning and ending at Gatineau Garage. Unfortunately, route 68 does not offer service on weekends. A pick up may be possible at Labrosse station, but you will miss photo opportunities, and you will be charged the same price as well. I will ask the STO for a garage tour but there are no guarantees. Please send your notice to attend to the usual charter email yulbuscharters at gmail dot com. Thanks as usual and see everybody soon!!

• 2 weeks later...

Update: all information regarding the most pertinent details such as times and costs have been sent via email to interested persons. Therefore if you wish to be included, please email me directly at yulbuscharters at gmail dot com

• 2 weeks later...

Well guess what guys, STO delivered on their word and 9136 was our charter bus. Great bus, great driver (Nick), great weather! We did soon to be abolished route 300, as well as some mileage to Tunney's Pasture and the Plateau sector of Hull, paying tribute to routes that will be modified shortly. It was nice to make new friends and to show everyone a good time. Thanks especially to OC operator Enviro_1203 who was kind enough to pose bus 6666 next to ours in front of Parliament Hill. Thanks to those who bothered to show up early, I hope that you liked the garage tour! Hope to do another charter if at all possible this fall!

Enjoy the photo of our bus posed with Gatineau Garage in the background for a change instead of Hull Garage or elsewhere!

IMG_8533a.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 months later...