Sign in to follow this  
Seashore_518203

BHA 2018 Convention - Dayton/Cincinnati

The 2018 convention of the Bus History Association will be from Wednesday, June 6 to Saturday, June 9, 2018. Please note that the Wednesday was added as a 4th day which had not been previously announced.

The first part of the convention will be in Dayton, Ohio. We are hopeful of getting a tour of the trolley coach system on Wednesday using restored BBC trolley coach # 110 (barring any unforeseen mechanical issues). On Thursday, an intercity coach will be chartered and we will visit Columbus and Cincinnati. There will be a dropoff at the Covington KY hotel prior to returning to the hotel in Dayton on Thursday evening.

Friday will be only an afternoon tour. In the morning, BHA members will travel on their own (or in carpools) to Covington KY. The Friday afternoon tour will be of TANK (Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky) and we will get to see their impressive historical collection.

Saturday will be Cincinnati and area. We hope to visit Cincinnati Metro, Cincinnati Streetcar and also see the historical fleet of the Cincinnati Transit Historical Association.

More details are in the attached PDF flyer. Please note that we will be cutting off registration at about 50-52 people so it is very important to register early if you are interested.

2018 BHA Convention Registration Package.pdf

Looking forward to this, was unable to secure the vacation I wanted to go to Saskatoon, but will have this week off and according to my research it comes out cheaper!

9 hours ago, doglover44 said:

I am interested in only Wed and Thurs is that ok ? and Can you register online ?

No, you have to mail in the registration form along with payment. The BHA does not have a PayPal account.

10 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

Does one have to go for the whole event or can they go for 1/2 days?

The registration document clearly shows pricing by day. You can register for as many days as you like.

12 hours ago, Seashore_518203 said:

No, you have to mail in the registration form along with payment. The BHA does not have a PayPal account.

The registration document clearly shows pricing by day. You can register for as many days as you like.

Thank You

Are there any plans for a drop off at the Airport at the end of the convention. if not what time would the convention end. I am looking at flying home the same night and want to book my flights accordingly.

6 hours ago, MTL66 said:

Are there any plans for a drop off at the Airport at the end of the convention. if not what time would the convention end. I am looking at flying home the same night and want to book my flights accordingly.

The scheduled arrival time at the Covington hotel will be 5:15 PM. If needed, I would be available to give you a ride to the airport.

By the way, the Dayton day now has over 60 people registered. In addition to the BBC trolley 110, we will also be getting a Skoda. We will ask people to switch vehicles at lunch time so that everybody has a chance to ride the BBC.

• Like 3

On 5/17/2018 at 8:24 AM, Seashore_518203 said:

The scheduled arrival time at the Covington hotel will be 5:15 PM. If needed, I would be available to give you a ride to the airport.

By the way, the Dayton day now has over 60 people registered. In addition to the BBC trolley 110, we will also be getting a Skoda. We will ask people to switch vehicles at lunch time so that everybody has a chance to ride the BBC.

Finally I will drive in from Toronto. The flights are too tight at the end of the convention and the flights out on Sunday are over 500$ US for a 1 way flight.

Thank You for the offer to drive me though :)

Any news on the current state of ETB operations on the regular routes? From the last update on Dayton Trolleys it sounded like the 1 could possibly have a new one, 4 would be the best chance of seeing some, and if the 8 has the wire installed by now that would be a possibility too. I'm hoping to ride one or two and get some non-diesel regular service pics before the tour day :)

Ooh, they have a real time map with bus numbers! http://ridetime.greaterdaytonrta.org/bustime/home.jsp

Assuming the ID numbers in the trackers are correct, I've spotted one 98xx on the 2, two 98xx and 1404 on the 4.

Otherwise it looks like the diesel Gilligs will be easy to find :P

On 5/23/2018 at 12:59 PM, chicagomotorman said:

http://www.daytontrolleys.net/

According to the above website,  as of April 30, 2018, not many trolley buses are running. 

Right, that's the Dayton Trolleys I was referring to, was just curious if anyone was aware of any newer details. I'm guessing watching the real-time maps will be the best way to stay informed at this point :)

• Thanks 1

Yes 9801-9854 would be the ETi/Skoda trolleys

1401-1404 are the dual mode Gillig BRTPlus bodied Vossloh-Kiepe ones.

Then 10xx - 17xx and 27xx, 28xx, 29xx are all their standard and hybrid diesel Gillig fleet. I don't think they have any New Flyer units left in active service.

I would like commend all parties involved in organizing the 2018 Convention. It was a first convention type event for me and was not disappointed, though I have very sore legs after all the stuff we did! We were greeted graciously at every place we visited, and we were not bothered too much by people in the photostops or in Downtown Dayton/Cincinnati while we were taking photos.

Providing I can get the time off, I will be present at the next convention in Ottawa, a little closer to home this time.

• Like 2

Thanks to all involved in the BHA convention this year, and looking very much forward to Ottawa next year. I have finally scratched riding a BBC off the bucket list!

• Like 2