TTC Nova Bus Fleet Rebuilds & Retirements Tracking

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

8420 looks to be the first 40ft LFS that will be refurbished. Pics are from a source on Facebook 

9001 at Wilson Stn this afternoon (23 Apr)

Here's a mockup of what Queensway will get next 😏  

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

It's unfortunate that the TTC no longer publish detail fleet plans. As seen in the 2018 fleet plan blogged by Steve Munro, the 6 (midlife) year rebuild that they are current going through, it's suppose to be a body/mech overhaul with a retirement date of 2027/28. The 2019 plan shows the push forward the retirement date to 12-13 years at 2025/26.

I guess since they aren't planning to keep buses as long as they used to do, there isn't really a reason to spend a lot of money on mech rebuild for something that's going to retire in 5 years. Can't believe some of them are past midlife now.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, MK78 said:

And he'd unpolitely tell us its none of our business, most likely. 🙄

I just don’t care enough to do the legwork to compile a reply anymore.

Same shit as the other rebuilds, I guess.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

It's unfortunate that the TTC no longer publish detail fleet plans. As seen in the 2018 fleet plan blogged by Steve Munro, the 6 (midlife) year rebuild that they are current going through, it's suppose to be a body/mech overhaul with a retirement date of 2027/28. The 2019 plan shows the push forward the retirement date to 12-13 years at 2025/26.

I guess since they aren't planning to keep buses as long as they used to do, there isn't really a reason to spend a lot of money on mech rebuild for something that's going to retire in 5 years. Can't believe some of them are past midlife now.

Artics are more maintenance-intensive than other buses. Few places keep them longer than 12 years, and the ones that do need a significant rebuild/overhaul at the 12 year mark.

Best local example is MiWay - they had to rearrange their fleet plans in 2017 to keep the 03xx and 05xx buses longer, because the 08xx artics were starting to have a lot of difficulty.

• Like 1

I guess we'll see when the TTC starts to rebuild the 84xx Nova's. Maybe they'll stretch their lifespans a little longer than 12 years. Seems to me its a bit short, unless there is some fed money again like the PTIF which helped a lot of the Nova buys.

4 hours ago, Articulated said:

Artics are more maintenance-intensive than other buses. Few places keep them longer than 12 years, and the ones that do need a significant rebuild/overhaul at the 12 year mark.

Best local example is MiWay - they had to rearrange their fleet plans in 2017 to keep the 03xx and 05xx buses longer, because the 08xx artics were starting to have a lot of difficulty.

That's true but they also generally see less service than regular buses except the 29 Dufferin.

The 8400-8617 are also planned to be retired at 12-13 year mark at 2026/27.