TTC Nova Bus Fleet Refurbs & Retirements Tracking

On 4/3/2021 at 9:35 AM, Articulated said:

That's not the reason. Nova does not paint buses, they only apply decals to solid-colour buses (a white base in TTC's case). As@Bus_Medicstated, it's easier to paint the rear a solid colour, but it's more difficult to wrap an entire rear. TTC has traditionally preferred paint, so when buses go for refurb, they get painted instead of decaled, which is how they get red rears after refurb.

The eBuses have been the only buses TTC has received that were not built by Nova since the new livery debuted, so therefore since those manufacturers offer painting, they come with the standard red rear.

Nova doesn't paint buses in-house, but they have partnerships with paint shops and they accommodate requests for painted vehicles (random example). So it's probably a cost-cutting (and/or time-saving) decision to have the TTC buses delivered wrapped instead of painted.

• Like 2

As the NovaBus LFS get rebuilt now, is it possible that the TTC will select 12 buses (eg. 8606-8617) to fit with luggage racks considering the Orion VII OG (8000-8012) will likely be retired in the next couple of years?  Maybe even potentially receive an Airport wrap similar to what's been done to promote RapidTO, Electric Buses, and the one off Nova HEV (3411)?

1 hour ago, TTC7447 said:

As the NovaBus LFS get rebuilt now, is it possible that the TTC will select 12 buses (eg. 8606-8617) to fit with luggage racks considering the Orion VII OG (8000-8012) will likely be retired in the next couple of years?  Maybe even potentially receive an Airport wrap similar to what's been done to promote RapidTO, Electric Buses, and the one off Nova HEV (3411)?

That is very possible. What I'm thinking instead is they might want to use a 33xx instead as it has more amenities and was build later.
Do the current airport buses have a wrap on or a paintjob?

13 minutes ago, MRD10 said:

That is very possible. What I'm thinking instead is they might want to use a 33xx instead as it has more amenities and was build later.

The current airport buses are wrapped.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MRD10 said:

Watch out. You might incur a certain member here about why Queensway can't get new buses by going into this topic!!! ?

• Haha 10

5 hours ago, Orion V said:

Watch out. You might incur a certain member here about why Queensway can't get new buses by going into this topic!!! ?

Of course!! ?? Can't make that mistake again!!

But if the issue is a matter of height, I don't see why Queensway can't receive more Nova Diesels, buttt I'm probably missing something here ?

17 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I would say If they used a fleet of more eco friendly buses like hybrids or ebus on the 900, it’ll paint a better image for traveller that TO care about the environment.

Then they would have to move the route to a different garage since the hybrids don’t fit at Queensway and the E buses are only at MTD,Arrow and Eglinton 

27 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

I would say If they used a fleet of more eco friendly buses like hybrids or ebus on the 900, it’ll paint a better image for traveller that TO care about the environment.

They partially did this by giving Arrow the 52 and Arrow has mostly the LFS hybrids after McNicoll opened. 52 and 900 both "show off" to travellers the Toronto buses though you can argue they take 900 more due to its advertisement and express service. And on the rare occasion the Xcelsiors go on the airport branch of the 52...