TTC Nova Bus Fleet Refurbs & Retirements Tracking

Anyone know why some Nova LFS seem to not shift past 2nd gear... I've been on 4-5 buses in the past few weeks, that appear to start of in first gear, shift to second, and then the RPM just goes high and it doesnt shift again, and seems to max out around 40km/h. These have been 84xx, 85xx, and some newer 88xx as well...

Does the operator have control of the gear selection? If so thats pretty silly of them to keep driving like that, wasting a lot of fuel no doubt.

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, MK78 said:

Anyone know why some Nova LFS seem to not shift past 2nd gear... I've been on 4-5 buses in the past few weeks, that appear to start of in first gear, shift to second, and then the RPM just goes high and it doesnt shift again, and seems to max out around 40km/h. These have been 84xx, 85xx, and some newer 88xx as well...

Does the operator have control of the gear selection? If so thats pretty silly of them to keep driving like that, wasting a lot of fuel no doubt.

They sure do, on the transmission selector you can set it to whatever gear you want it in.

1 minute ago, Jan Boic said:

They sure do, on the transmission selector you can set it to whatever gear you want it in.

So you can set it for 2nd gear for example, and the bus will start from 1st, then to 2nd, but no further? What possible advantage would that offer? This isn't a heavy truck needing to manage its gearing for going up or down hills.

Not only is it noisy as hell with the RPM being high, but the fuel efficiency must be brutal.

3 minutes ago, Shaun said:

That's pretty good. It's about the same fuel economy as a full size pickup or SUV. Considering it can carry 60 plus people, that's pretty good. 

He didn't say if it was a standard diesel Nova, or the hybrid.

17 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

No way you can do that low in a diesel Nova. 

There are no gears ?

O yeah, not in the hybrids, hehe...

So anyway, on the diesel nova, is there any reason why you would ever select the 2nd gear? or do you think the gearboxes are malfunctioning the way I describe not going past 2nd gear, revving high and not going much past 40km/h

22 minutes ago, MK78 said:

So anyway, on the diesel nova, is there any reason why you would ever select the 2nd gear? or do you think the gearboxes are malfunctioning the way I describe not going past 2nd gear, revving high and not going much past 40km/h

When I drive diesel buses I don't play with the gear selection and just leave it in drive and let it do its thing. I'm not aware of any transmission issues but I'm not a mechanic and don't deal with that. Maybe Bus Medic can shed more light on that. 

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

If there were any malfunctions, like low line pressure or slipping clutch packs, a fault code would be triggered and a light would come on, bus gets changed off.

So it's really the operators not putting it in automatic mode. Do the buses have some kind of telematics that records the information? Someone should be looking at it and realizing the fuel economy must be dreadful.

On 1/27/2020 at 8:28 PM, MK78 said:

I drive with 2nd gear when the road is covered with snow (as in 3+cm of snow) for safety reasons and the ability to drive through a pile of snow.  I do that with my car as well.  One time I couldn't get up the ramp covered with snow on 5th gear with all season tire.  I used 2nd gear and I was able to make it up with no problem.

29 minutes ago, leylandvictory2 said:

I drive with 2nd gear when the road is covered with snow (as in 3+cm of snow) for safety reasons and the ability to drive through a pile of snow.  I do that with my car as well.  One time I couldn't get up the ramp covered with snow on 5th gear with all season tire.  I used 2nd gear and I was able to make it up with no problem.

Cool, that does make sense, but in the cases I've encountered recently (but not since I've posted), were all on bone dry roads.

• 2 weeks later...