TTC Nova Bus Fleet Refurbs & Retirements Tracking

This thread will be used for the rebuilds and retirements for all of the TTC Nova Bus vehicles. Please make sure that you post accurate factual information on this thread and that your posts are well thought out, and that you do your best to stay on topic. Thanks 👍

TTC Bus Divisions:

Arrow Rd | Birchmount | Eglinton | Malvern | Mount Dennis | Queensway | Wilson

==============================================================================================================

Rebuilds:

Legend:

Emerald = Not Rebuilt

Strong Red = Rebuilt

2013 Nova Bus LFS III Artic (9000-9026): 9000-9002, 9003, 9004-9026

2014 Nova Bus LFS IV Artic (9027-9152): 9027-9152

2015 Nova Bus LFS IV (8400-8504): 8400-8504

2016 Nova Bus LFS IV (8510-8617): 8510-8572, 8573, 8574-8617

2017 Nova Bus LFS IV (8620-8716): 8620-8716

2017 Nova Bus LFS IV (8720-8964): 8720-8964

2018 Nova Bus LFS IV (9200-9239)9200-9202, 9203, 9204, 9205-9206, 9207, 9208-9210, 9211, 9212, 9213-9216, 9217-9218, 9219, 9220, 9221-9239

2018 Nova Bus LFS IV (3100-3369): 3100-3369

==============================================================================================================

Retirements:

Units that are retired will be listed by the last division they operated out of.

2013 Nova Bus LFS III Artic (9000-9026): 9003

2016 Nova Bus LFS IV (8510-8617): 8573

Edited by Mar_AC_23
8921 8943 9200 9227 9228 9230 9232 9233 9234 9235 9236 9237 are now rebuilt
  • Like 5

oh good, I got one question to ask, I notice when the driver stops the bus, lets say at a red light, and then when the driver steps on the accelerator for a green light,  does it have a anti roll back feature similar to the ZF AsTronic? It makes a air discharge sound before the engine revs, the exact same way with the ZF AsTronic.

7 hours ago, NeOn Bus Rider said:

oh good, I got one question to ask, I notice when the driver stops the bus, lets say at a red light, and then when the driver steps on the accelerator for a green light,  does it have a anti roll back feature similar to the ZF AsTronic? It makes a air discharge sound before the engine revs, the exact same way with the ZF AsTronic.

I think it does.  I have wait a second before the brake release.  I always put the foot on the brake or apply the spring brake.

7 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

I think it does.  I have wait a second before the brake release.  I always put the foot on the brake or apply the spring brake.

I have noticed this effect on Durham Region Transit's latest Novas, but not too sure if that is associated with the brake or the accelerator. I recall a driver telling me she hated the new Novas as you had to push the brake down to the floor to release the interlock. I am not sure if it has to deal with the appearance of the pedals themselves - on DRT's Novas both pedals are rectangular and have some diagonal treads, while on the TTC's Novas both pedals have vertical treads but different shapes: the brake has a rounded top and the accelerator is rectangular with the William Controls logo, just like the Orions (and interestingly, DRT's older Novas (the ex-Oshawa Transit ones) use the same pedals as the TTC, only that the brake interlock feature is not present which is understandable due to its age). It may seem weird to bring this up, but as these distinct designs might account for the differences in how they feel and actually work.

• Confused 1

Not even sure why I’m responding...this whole thread makes my head hurt....labels on pedals mean nothing.

Might as well say hello kitty on them.

This:

32F9BBE5-3908-4BF9-A825-93443486737F.thumb.jpeg.f831009facbf69dad0f08c91c220d0e6.jpeg

The brake VALVE- is the only part that actually means anything-and is made by bendix in our case.

Hill hold is accomplished by an electric solenoid valve inside the curbside dashboard, and controlled by programming into the multiplex software.

for the more proficient students, i’ll Leave this here:

there will be a test next week.  Low scores will be ridiculed severely.

• Thanks 3

• Mar_AC_23 changed the title to TTC Nova Bus LFS & LFS Artic Info (Incl. Rebuilds/Retirements)

Looks like 8573 will most likely be retiring early because of how severely damaged the vehicle is from that collision a few months ago. But it's not official yet, we'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by Shemar
collision with #8573 happened a few months ago, not a few years ago
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Mar_AC_23 changed the title to TTC Nova Bus LFS & LFS Artic Info (Incl. Rebuilds & Retirements)
34 minutes ago, Shemar said:

Looks like 8573 will most likely be retiring early because of how severely damaged the vehicle is from that collision a few years ago. But it's not official yet, we'll just have to wait and see.

In case anyone was wondering what the damage looked like up close, these are a couple photos a friend sent to me a while back.

8573 2.jpg

8573.jpg

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Shemar said:

Looks like 8573 will most likely be retiring early because of how severely damaged the vehicle is from that collision a few months ago. But it's not official yet, we'll just have to wait and see.

It has been removed from the internal active roster along with the more recently damaged NG's so I'd call it retired. I'm sure it will stay on property for years until stripped bare of parts. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BusFanForever said:

It has been removed from the internal active roster along with the more recently damaged NG's so I'd call it retired. I'm sure it will stay on property for years until stripped bare of parts. 

Same reason how #7955 caught fire years ago and later returned to service. I don't know about how long the warranty lasts, but given #8573 was built in 2016, that bus will be easily repaired and returned to service.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BYD said:

Same reason how #7955 caught fire years ago and later returned to service. I don't know about how long the warranty lasts, but given #8573 was built in 2016, that bus will be easily repaired and returned to service.

Not if the frame or other important structural components are damaged too severely. In some cases, repairs are not practical. We'll just have to see whether it gets fixed or joins the group of stripped Orions at Hillcrest. 

• Like 1

@Bus_Medic can correct me here, but the damage seems restricted to a certain part of the frame. The damage isn't the entire length of the body, or twisted for that matter; it can be cut out and the frame can be refabricated by one of TTCs welders. However, whatever damage has been done to the floor part of the frame I can't speak for. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BYD said:

Everything is wrong with this statement.

1. You realize warranty is for manufacturing defects that would be repaired under the manufacture's expensive. It ensures the consumer didn't buy a bad apple and be stuck with it. Insurance and legal actions are the terminologies here and it has nothing to do with Nova or it's parts sourcer.

2. An engine fire is different than major frame damage. As long as the frame remains intact, they can replace the engine and go. With a frame, it's not so easy especially the damage is in the middle.

3. The year manufactured has nothing to do with repairability. 2016 means nothing here. 

When repairing a bus, they'll have to consider how long will the bus last. They might as well recoup the money of the bus and buy a new one since it's only a year old.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

@Bus_Medic can correct me here, but the damage seems restricted to a certain part of the frame. The damage isn't the entire length of the body, or twisted for that matter; it can be cut out and the frame can be refabricated by one of TTCs welders. However, whatever damage has been done to the floor part of the frame I can't speak for. 

I've seen the damage up close, it's way worse than the above pictures show. The floor and roof frame are buckled in 2-3 feet in addition to the side damage. Never mind all the cooling/heating system, electrical component and interior panels, seats, stanchions and windows that would have to be replaced. To much $$$ when added up

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BusFanForever said:

I've seen the damage up close, it's way worse than the above pictures show. The floor and roof frame are buckled in 2-3 feet in addition to the side damage. Never mind all the cooling/heating system, electrical component and interior panels, seats, stanchions and windows that would have to be replaced. To much $$$ when added up

I had a feeling there was more to the floor frame than it seemed. Pics don't do it justice, and nothing to the roof. Thanks for this. 

I've been meaning to ask.... I've heard this weird loud buzz noise on several Nova's now since last year... It seems like it comes from the middle or the rear. Sometimes it happens often during a trip, sometimes just once.

It doesn't resemble a stop request chime or bell, just a loud BZZZZZZT.

Has anyone else heard it?

12 hours ago, MK78 said:

I've been meaning to ask.... I've heard this weird loud buzz noise on several Nova's now since last year... It seems like it comes from the middle or the rear. Sometimes it happens often during a trip, sometimes just once.

It doesn't resemble a stop request chime or bell, just a loud BZZZZZZT.

Has anyone else heard it?

It's possibly the air dryer to the air supply system. In the later lives of the Orion VIIs that are being retired now, they also received the same, if not similar part installed on them too.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Shemar said:

I went down to Hillcrest today and saw 8573 with some of its parts removed from the vehicle so it is safe to say that the unit is officially retired.

Let's see a post from the past

On 12/29/2014 at 4:00 PM, bus_7246 said:

9044 has a torn articulation joint (the rubber over the vehicle). It's being harvested for parts since it will be a while till it will get a new accordian cover.

I guess it was safe to say 9044 is official retired too.

Aside from that, yes it's officially retired as the service summary lists 107 active buses in this batch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Let's see a post from the past

I guess it was safe to say 9044 is official retired too.

Aside from that, yes it's officially retired as the service summary lists 107 active buses in this batch.

Um... hate to object, but the bus still in active service in Wilson though I got the photo 2 years ago. @Shemar, please consider removing the information from the wiki.

TTC 2014 NovaBUS LFS Artic #9044

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, BYD said:

Um... hate to object, but the bus still in active service in Wilson though I got the photo 2 years ago. @Shemar, please consider removing the information from the wiki.

TTC 2014 NovaBUS LFS Artic #9044

The photo you have of the unit was taken almost two years ago so in order for you to justify that the unit is still in revenue service you need a physical sighting of it currently. Until then, it's listed as MIA.