CPTDB Wiki was recently upgraded! Please report any issues here.

I think I have a new favourite!

Ex-Greyhound Canada MCI MC-6 with a Detroit Diesel 12V71N (the classic "buzzin' dozen") coupled with a four-speed manual transmission.  The owner takes the coach out on the road starting at about 16:25:

• Like 1

Why am I finding TTC OG hybrids so great sounding, especially the takeoff sound? I even prefer them over the NG hybrids as they just look and sound better.

Have a look at this: 

• Like 2

On 6/24/2019 at 8:46 PM, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

Why am I finding TTC OG hybrids so great sounding, especially the takeoff sound? I even prefer them over the NG hybrids as they just look and sound better.

They do sound very nice. They are very similar to SF Muni's 2007 Orion VII HEV's as well. They have the same powertrain, but I feel like the "moan" on some of your units is a bit louder and nicer than mine, yet the exhausts on mine seem to be really loud now. A couple were even throaty. These are some of the only hybrids I enjoy riding.

Fantastic topic!

I was not aware of such a thread -- it really deserves higher prominence on the Board.

I still need to browse these many excellent submissions (will listen to these sweet sounds while at work tomorrow!)

In the meantime, I can refer y'all to this juicy recording of a 6V92TA. All credit to whoever captured it -- I am simply pointing it out.

6V92TA is getting adequate love in this thread... but this recording is magical from the first note.

Early/mid 90s engines -- whether Cummins or Detroit -- had endlessly more character than anything today.

This particular recording from VTA makes me wistful. Nothing will ever match the urgency, the eagerness and the sheer confidence of a 6V92TA in an RTS.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 7:01 PM, Detroit Diesel 6V92TA said:

They do sound very nice. They are very similar to SF Muni's 2007 Orion VII HEV's as well. They have the same powertrain, but I feel like the "moan" on some of your units is a bit louder and nicer than mine, yet the exhausts on mine seem to be really loud now. A couple were even throaty. These are some of the only hybrids I enjoy riding.

I wish we had OG units as those would have been better. These TTC units are EPA 2004 which may explain the difference in sound from the NGs as those only came with EPA 2007 or 2010 engines.

Are yours EPA 2007 by chance since yours happen to be 2007? Our NGs sound very similar to TTC's OGs but there's more of a rumbling sound with the TTC's units. 

On 7/25/2019 at 12:20 PM, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

Are yours EPA 2007 by chance since yours happen to be 2007? Our NGs sound very similar to TTC's OGs but there's more of a rumbling sound with the TTC's units. 

Yes mine are EPA 2007's. 

On 7/25/2019 at 4:32 PM, blue.bird.fan said:

Any New Flyer LF or LFR with Cummins and Voith. The whine of the Voith sounds really good, especially when it revs high.

https://youtu.be/lcr8JITJyIY?t=2235

I should get a newer recording of BC Transit's two rare D40LFs with Cummins ISC + Voith D863.3. There's a recording on Youtube but it's from 10 years ago. 

On 7/29/2019 at 8:14 AM, Detroit Diesel 6V92TA said:

Yes mine are EPA 2007's. 

That explains why your units sound exactly the same as my EPA 2007 NG units. 

It's a tossup as to which I prefer, but I'm biased towards EPA 2007 ISB engines since that's what I'm used to riding on a daily basis.