STO 7901 Spottings (2018)

Loud-Invero

Has anyone recently spotted sto 7901? I went classic hunting the last couple of days coming out empty-handed of genuine sto classics (but plenty of Ex-Calgary crud). I was thinking to myself that maybe 7901 would show up at one point, but my question is has anyone seen 7901 recently? Thanks in advance.

Last resort eh? I'm guessing during rush hour with higher demand for bus service? Would you know if they do charters of 7901 once in awhile?

7 minutes ago, Oc4526 said:

My understanding is 7901 is only brought out as a last resort.

(Which is very rare in the winter.)

Last resort eh? I'm guessing during rush hour with higher demand for bus service? Would you know if they do charters of 7901 once in awhile?

9 minutes ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

Last resort as in if the Sto is short of buses on a givin day. (Which can include mid days)

Cptdb Admin SMS have done some fan trips with it in the past. 

Wow! Good to know. Haven't been on a fishbowl since I was 6 years old riding in a white OC fishbowl. I guessing SMS would announce he'd be doing a fan ride here on the CPTDB if he was planning to do one?

7 minutes ago, Oc4526 said:

Last resort as in if the Sto is short of buses on a givin day. (Which can include mid days)

Cptdb Admin SMS have done some fan trips with it in the past. 

Wow! Good to know. Haven't been on a fishbowl since I was 6 years old riding in a white OC fishbowl. I guessing SMS would announce he'd be doing a fan ride here on the CPTDB if he was planning to do one? (sorry for the duplicated text, keep forgetting to quote and can't seem to delete any status I put up)

1 minute ago, Oc4526 said:

If it's a Public Charter then yes if it's Privete (by invitation) the orginizers may or may not announce it.

However the Orginizers have the right to restrict those who wish to attend the public charters. 

Interesting info. Thanks for helping me out :)

Hey guys, for sure we would like to do a STO charter this year, but the emphasis will be on a Classic. Usually, the STO is nice enough to let us see 7901 at Hull Garage at the end of my charters (typically we start and end the fan trip at the yard). 

You could ask STO customer service if the bus is running, and if you are very lucky, they will answer you with the run information. There are no guarantees, however.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, SMS said:

Hey guys, for sure we would like to do a STO charter this year, but the emphasis will be on a Classic. Usually, the STO is nice enough to let us see 7901 at Hull Garage at the end of my charters (typically we start and end the fan trip at the yard). 

You could ask STO customer service if the bus is running, and if you are very lucky, they will answer you with the run information. There are no guarantees, however.

It would make sense since they're retiring the classics. If a charter were to happen I'd hope it'd be a genuine STO classic, though I think at this point we'd take any kind of classic, lol. Would be willing to attend the charter if publicly announced, I bet it'd be fun to ride with enthusiast alike. 

I wouldn't mind that, but the pick up location is some what out of the way. Not all of us drive and I know when the CTHF had there STO charter majority of the individuals attending the charter arrived by bus(mainly OC) @ Terrass Du Chadier-SP. I think that would e a better location to be picked up at for non Ottawa res wanting to go on the Charter?  

It is the charter organizer's prerogative to start and end the charter where ever is most judicious. The STO Hull garage is easily accessible by transit, a one seat ride from downtown Ottawa. Terrasses de la Chaudiere is not an ideal location due to limited parking. The STO has always allowed my group to park on STO premises by the original garage, and we always get the best bang for our buck when we start and end at the garage and do not pay unnecessary (not to mention unreasonable) deadhead costs. If you are willing to spend upwards of 3 hours on a charter bus, I don't understand complaining about having to take the bus to Hull Garage. Keep in mind that guys from Montreal are doing all of the organization since nobody locally based wants to do it.

Having said all of this, please keep your eyes peeled in the Quebec section, which is where I typically advertise my fan trips.

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/02/2018 at 10:55 PM, Orion6025 said:

Are there any bus trackers out there for STO that display the bus number?

Does the bowl do daily service? And if yes, what routes does it tend to run on?

7901 is more of a last resort bus (if there's a bus shortage or if a operator requests it) Best way to find out if it's out is call Sto Customer service and ask. Though it's not gurenteed that they will disclose the information.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

Best way to find out if it's out is call Sto Customer service and ask. Though it's not gurenteed that they will disclose the information.

Yeah I may just settle for a few Classics lol. That's a step I'm not willing to take for a bowl.

I guess kind of building off of this, is STO friendly with busfans? Like if I camp out near their garage entrance, will they (likely) take issue to that or can I just chill there and be left alone?

7 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

7901 is more of a last resort bus (if there's a bus shortage or if a operator requests it)

Thank you.

19 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

Yeah I may just settle for a few Classics lol. That's a step I'm not willing to take for a bowl.

I guess kind of building off of this, is STO friendly with busfans? Like if I camp out near their garage entrance, will they (likely) take issue to that or can I just chill there and be left alone?

Thank you.

I don't forsee a problem if your on public property. With that said try not to act suspicious and no one will bother you. 

Do take note that the Sto has 2 garages ( one that's easy to access by public transport the other is not that easily accessible )

33 minutes ago, Orion6025 said:

Thank you.

I'm not sure if they'd take issue. I know for a fact their customer service team on Facebook are useless 95% of the time. I asked them if they have ANY runs planned for 7901; no response, just a read message... I asked their Facebook again about some classics we haven't seen in awhile, again read message and no response... The only thing they were able to answer/get back to me on is if all 89XX classics are retired (which they are). From personal experience, it depends on what type of bus fan you are, if you're taking photos of every bus *inside or outside* (like I do) you're bound to outright piss off some drivers to the point where they'll actually pull their bus over to speak to you on the street because they got triggered by your photo taking, some just don't care, other times STO understands and are happy to have busfans around. It's very weird compared to how OC Transpo treats busfans...

1 hour ago, Oc4526 said:

Do take note that the Sto has 2 garages ( one that's easy to access by public transport the other is not that easily accessible )

Besides the one listed on the cptdb wiki [111 Rue Jean-Proulx, Gatineau, QC J8Z 1T4], where's the other one located?

1 hour ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

they'll actually pull their bus over to speak to you on the street because they got triggered by your photo taking,

Crap I'm used to systems where drivers just keep on driving since they're not allowed to get out of the bus en route... Oh well lol.

1 hour ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

It's very weird compared to how OC Transpo treats busfans..

Bad I assume?

--

Sorry about the crapton of questions; I'm trying to figure out how to pull off a day-trip fanning OC Transpo/STO (With emphasis on the Classics...). Thank you guys for all your help so far.

1 hour ago, Orion6025 said:

Besides the one listed on the cptdb wiki [111 Rue Jean-Proulx, Gatineau, QC J8Z 1T4], where's the other one located?

Crap I'm used to systems where drivers just keep on driving since they're not allowed to get out of the bus en route... Oh well lol.

Bad I assume?

--

Sorry about the crapton of questions; I'm trying to figure out how to pull off a day-trip fanning OC Transpo/STO (With emphasis on the Classics...). Thank you guys for all your help so far.

If you're trying to plan out a bus fanning day with STO with looking for classics, check out my list I made on this forum. I include lots of information and would be willing to send you photos of the classics I've taken if you want to see how they look in 2018.

OC doesn't have much fun except for , double deckers, the Transitway (or what's left of it...) and Line 2 (O-Train Trillium Line) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Orion6025 said:

The other STO garage is located at 708 boul. des Affaires in the Old Gatineau sector, but that's way out at the edge of the city near Highway 50 and boul. Labrosse and bus service out that way is abysmal.  Route 68 will take you to the front gate, but it only serves the facility on weekdays between 9:45 AM and 2:05 PM on a half-hour schedule (later trips will drop you off as late as 6:45 PM, but you'll need to walk back).  Route 71 is the only other bus route within a mile, and it runs every half hour (hourly during evenings and weekends) to boul. Labrosse and rue Davidson, where you'd need to get off to walk to the facility, which is on the other side of the Highway 50 overpass.

Oh, and this garage is closed on weekends, so you'd need to factor that in as well.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, OCTranspoMaster said:

I'm not sure if they'd take issue. I know for a fact their customer service team on Facebook are useless 95% of the time. I asked them if they have ANY runs planned for 7901; no response, just a read message... I asked their Facebook again about some classics we haven't seen in awhile, again read message and no response... The only thing they were able to answer/get back to me on is if all 89XX classics are retired (which they are). From personal experience, it depends on what type of bus fan you are, if you're taking photos of every bus *inside or outside* (like I do) you're bound to outright piss off some drivers to the point where they'll actually pull their bus over to speak to you on the street because they got triggered by your photo taking, some just don't care, other times STO understands and are happy to have busfans around. It's very weird compared to how OC Transpo treats busfans...

Before you trash their customer service team, bear in mind that you have no idea how busy they are.  Their first focus is on assisting customers in using the STO system, so any enthusiast requests for information is likely going to take a backseat.  Also, in just about every transit agency I know customer service is an entirely separate function from operations, so it's not as if the person answering the Facebook page knows if 7901 is out or how many Classics are in the active fleet.  Many of them probably have no regular interaction with the operations staff and wouldn't know who to go to to even find out.

On 2/12/2018 at 12:27 PM, ONQCBusFan said:

Hard to believe, That bus will be 40 years old next year! Maybe they should throw I little party for it! :lol:

7901's outside party might be it's last party season when summer hits, they're getting (I forget the amount) new 2018 NovaBuses *as we know*, and since they only deploy 7901 as a last resort or by operator request, 7901 might be classified from "Active" to Historical Fleet (Retired) since there would be no need to have it ready to deploy. After that I Guess it'll only be used for garage tours and the once a year shuttle that is usually planned.

On 2/13/2018 at 10:32 PM, OCTranspoMaster said:

7901's outside party might be it's last party season when summer hits, they're getting (I forget the amount) new 2018 NovaBuses *as we know*, and since they only deploy 7901 as a last resort or by operator request, 7901 might be classified from "Active" to Historical Fleet (Retired) since there would be no need to have it ready to deploy. After that I Guess it'll only be used for garage tours and the once a year shuttle that is usually planned.

I hope STO also preserve a Classic. Proportionally (and longevity wise) that bus was/is way more important to STO than to OC.

2 hours ago, 8792 said:

I hope STO also preserve a Classic. Proportionally (and longevity wise) that bus was/is way more important to STO than to OC.

I highly dought it. If they did. it would of been better  to preserver  a 1984 classic. The first year they got them. I douht  it, there a better chance of them saving a Novabus LFS then a classic.