Motor Coach Owner/Operator

JCWhite

Does anyone have any experience in being an owner/operator for a motor coach? I've heard of a few occasions where someone tried to do it, but wondering if there are any successful O/O's operating in Canada?

Edit: Looking at something similar to how a transport-truck driver would be an owner/operator (they own their vehicle, and are contracted to a carrier, or multiple carriers, to operate for them/on their behalf).

36 minutes ago, Swadian said:

Are you going to do scheduled service or charters?

I'm looking at owning my own coach, and being contracted to a bus company to transport on their behalf (Similar to how a transport-truck owner/operator work's)

Haven't done it, but had a couple guys in my rolodex at the office who we'd call up when we were short a bus and needed a charter covered. They basically made a living simply covering everyone else in town's work.

Not the way I'd want to make my living, but can be a good way to get a foot in the door in the business as you start to build your own client base.

If you have good connections that can guarantee you work, like the above user said, its a good way to get your foot in the door. Depending on the market, people ask for full 56 seaters from what I've obersved. Depends what it is look on your neck of the woods for work.

16 hours ago, northwesterner said:

Haven't done it, but had a couple guys in my rolodex at the office who we'd call up when we were short a bus and needed a charter covered. They basically made a living simply covering everyone else in town's work.

Not the way I'd want to make my living, but can be a good way to get a foot in the door in the business as you start to build your own client base.

With who you called, were they a small company that could operate fully on their own, or more of a guy & a bus deal?

3 hours ago, northwesterner said:

Guy & a bus deal.

How was the operational relationship set, if you don't mind me asking?

Was he required to provide all his own insurance, operating authority, CVOR, etc...? or did he operate partially under the company's authority's & licenses?

1 hour ago, JCWhite said:

How was the operational relationship set, if you don't mind me asking?

Was he required to provide all his own insurance, operating authority, CVOR, etc...? or did he operate partially under the company's authority's & licenses?

They had to have their own authority, insurance, inspections, etc.

JCWhite here are some questions I will ask and answer them truthfully

- Have you worked as a Motor Coach Operator?

- Have you done up a Business Plan?

- Have you gotten a insurance quote?

- Have you gotten a lease/finance quote on a bus you wish to purchase and would you qualify with the bank?

- Have you contacted the Ontario Highway Transport Board for licensing requirements?

- Have you contacted the Ontario Motor Coach Association to explain your entrance into the marketplace?

- Have you contacted the prospective clients to explain your services?

Here is my advise, if you have answered no to any of the above, better get on it because this is what is required to be a legal public vehicle for hire. You will have to get your own Insurance, CVOR/US DOT and Public Vehicle License just to carry 1 passenger whether your own work or helping out with Greyhound. The Truck Industry and the Bus Industry are that different from each other! Cheers!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/6/2018 at 2:29 AM, northwesterner said:

Interesting thread...

This is always a risk that a carrier takes, when "farming out" an entire charter to another carrier....

First, your regular customer might not like it, especially if the replacement for what they thought they were buying was sub-standard in any way....equipment or service..

Second, the replacement might deliver such an outstanding performance, that they 'steal' away your client for future business....

The unavoidable situation, may be when a client needs more buses on one charter than you can provide, hence you use some of yours and then others.   In such a case, the client may be more understanding, and appreciate that you have done that to accommodate their needs.   But there is still some of the risk....

• Thanks 1