2018 Garage Transfers and Storage Reactivations

Express691

6 hours ago, MCW Metrobus said:

I haven't seen this with my own eyes, so technically this is a T-Comm e-sighting, but 8022 is showing active on the 49 today. I'll be able to confirm it visually in a few hours.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but last week, 8011 was parked behind the shops at RTC. Given the reactivation of 8022, it is entirely possible that it too may be on the way back from the dead...

You called it: 8011 back in service this afternoon

9 hours ago, Brando737 said:

Figured it was a recent transfer, I was driving it today from 1410 to 1923.  Drove nicely for a 22 year old bus.

When you put it that way... holy crap, is our bus fleet messed up. We're still reliant on twenty-year-old buses to provide base service!

4 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

When you put it that way... holy crap, is our bus fleet messed up. We're still reliant on twenty-year-old buses to provide base service!

I don’t think it’s messed up, I just think it shows the quality of Coast Mountain’s maintenance programme, as we are running busses that are 17-25 years old, and running reliably.

23 minutes ago, Translink69 said:

I don’t think it’s messed up, I just think it shows the quality of Coast Mountain’s maintenance programme, as we are running busses that are 17-25 years old, and running reliably.

True. The CMBC mechanics are doing a great job with an aging fleet. The problem is more, is it prudent from a reliability-of-service perspective to be this dependent on buses so far past their expected lifespan? Clearly not, and yet it's either that or have any service-hours increases wait until later this year when the first expansion orders come in.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

True. The CMBC mechanics are doing a great job with an aging fleet. The problem is more, is it prudent from a reliability-of-service perspective to be this dependent on buses so far past their expected lifespan? Clearly not, and yet it's either that or have any service-hours increases wait until later this year when the first expansion orders come in.

Don't think we're the only transit agency that does this? BC transit is another example.

9 hours ago, cleowin said:

Don't think we're the only transit agency that does this? BC transit is another example.

Yup.  They've gotten a number of years from some of our retired buses such as the Classics and currently still running some of our earlier D40LF'S.

Anyone know why VTC has been getting a lot D40LF's transferred to them lately? With the 004 & 010 currently running diesels M-F & the 019 with downtown short turns currently I'm sure VTC still has extra buses? Is there going to be some service expansion that VTC needs extra buses come September? 

27 minutes ago, dover5949 said:

Anyone know why VTC has been getting a lot D40LF's transferred to them lately? With the 004 & 010 currently running diesels M-F & the 019 with downtown short turns currently I'm sure VTC still has extra buses? Is there going to be some service expansion that VTC needs extra buses come September? 

I believe you mean the 14 and not the 10

My somewhat reasonable explanation to this would that VTC has most of the D40LFs there dues to the dieselisation of the 4/14 and that since these busses are a little older they transferred a couple extra busses just in case. These busses are also probably here due to the firework and have yet to be sent back to there respected garages.

VTC will be getting brand new Nova LFS so the D40LFs should be out and in the scrapper pretty soon

According to what I have heard VTC will be taking over the 32 in September but most of the new novas should be there by then.

I hope I was able to answer your question, 

Thomas

44 minutes ago, dover5949 said:

Just for the fireworks and the 20 dieselization today

12 hours ago, Thomasw said:

I believe you mean the 14 and not the 10

My somewhat reasonable explanation to this would that VTC has most of the D40LFs there dues to the dieselisation of the 4/14 and that since these busses are a little older they transferred a couple extra busses just in case. These busses are also probably here due to the firework and have yet to be sent back to there respected garages.

VTC will be getting brand new Nova LFS so the D40LFs should be out and in the scrapper pretty soon

According to what I have heard VTC will be taking over the 32 in September but most of the new novas should be there by then.

I hope I was able to answer your question, 

Thomas

Yes the "14" & Not the 10. Typo error on my part. :)

23 minutes ago, Brando737 said:

It's official, Diesel Nova's will be joining the ranks at RTC on September 3rd.  I'm guessing about 25 which is roughly how many they will need for the 430 and 406 at least that's the number I heard thrown around.

The 401/408 split would need 1 or 2 extra buses, would it not?

Aside from that, I have reports that none of the RTC routes will be interlining, so that could add a few more.

T or L-drive?

1 hour ago, Brando737 said:

It's official, Diesel Nova's will be joining the ranks at RTC on September 3rd.  I'm guessing about 25 which is roughly how many they will need for the 430 and 406 at least that's the number I heard thrown around.

I suppose these will be pulled from VTC?  If that's the case then that would explain the reason for the D40LF's been moved to VTC?