Ever get on the wrong bus in your home town?

For the sake of the topic, Lets say you are well traveled on buses in your town.

Last night I had some kind of blonde moment, I intended on going to a fast food place with an easy walk home.

Got to the transit center at a line up(buses depart at the same time) Wanted to catch the 2, got on the 1 right next to it. We made the first turn away from the transit center and that is when i had my oh fudge moment on realizing I got on the wrong bus.

Luckily for me there was a same chain fast food place along that route(3 of them to be exact) Got to the first one, Unfortunately I couldnt walk home due to the distance and cold weather Got to the place with a 30 minute wait for the next return bus, 20 minutes of that time were spent on ordering and waiting for my food to be ready, 5 minutes spent on eating a sandwich and then got to the bus stop within 5 minutes of the bus arrival time. I had originally intended on going to a closer location so I could walk home from it within 15 minutes.

It all worked out well, for the long waiting time at the fast food place, I got 2 coupons for some free Big Macs.

Another time many moons ago, I was in high school, I was able to get half days if I were working in the evening, Got on a bus, one of 3 routes along that stretch of road, I only had bus fare for one non-express ride, but the bus I got on was an express, The driver let me on but wouldnt give me a transfer, This was in Cleveland, I got to public Square(The center of the city) I had to walk the distance from West 2nd St all the way to West 140th St(7 miles) on a hot Spring day.

I have not taken the wrong bus, but it felt like it. I was waiting at my school, when suddenly, a 176X OC Transpo bus shows up. I used to take the 176 every day. This was back from when I didn't know X meant it was a shorter version of my route. I was wondering if it was going to go to my stop, and it did. The normal 176 (No X) showed up every other day. I was kind of panicking at first, but I asked the driver, and it was a shorter version of my route.

The driver either changed the sign to 176X for some reason, or it was actually a 176X that day. 

I don't take the bus much anymore, but I can still recall a few incidents from my youth even though I was a pretty savvy OC Transpo customer even as a child:

• One was in the early 1980s when route 4 ran from St. Laurent Shopping Centre to what would become South Keys on what are now portions of routes 7, 101, 4, 104, 290 and 92.  My Mum and I were waiting for the 4 Overbrook at Billings Bridge, but because we didn't take a good look at the bus we were boarding we accidentally caught the 4 Gloucester South/Sud.  We went only one stop south of the bus terminal before we got off and caught the bus in the other direction.
  • Another involved my Mum working late downtown, and she would catch route 4 at the Rideau Centre to come home.  However, one night she took route 41 (now route 14) and she nearly ended up in Sandy Hill instead of St. Laurent Blvd.  Needless to say, Mum was home extra-late that night.
  • The last one I can recall occurred when I was in junior high school and I boarded the wrong 7 Special at my school.  When we got to Montreal Road, our bus turned left into Vanier instead of continuing north on St. Laurent Blvd.  We all scrambled off the bus and went back to catch the regular route 7 bus to get home.
  • 1 month later...
On 1/1/2018 at 2:10 AM, Gregory said:

IMO, this topic should be moved over to the "Transit Lounge" section.

Sounds good to me.

Hereover, last week I was sposed to get on a DRT bus signed up for Route 403 to take me to the Oshawa Centre but I took a GO bus signed up for Route 90 To Newcastle but got off at Bowmanville which wasn't on my intended daytrip.  But I ate lunch at Montana's and watched some of the leftover SuperBowl 52 snippets on a TV screen at the bar.

On 12/30/2017 at 8:27 PM, PCC Guy said:

Not that I can recall, no. However, I have been paranoid about doing so, because drivers forgetting to change the sign is a more common occurrence than you'd think.

Can attest to that...

A couple years ago on my end I was at the Southland hub where I was supposed to board a SMART 125 to River Rouge to drop me off near my neighborhood, but when it arrived it for some reason displayed that it was to Metro Airport. Needless to say, I told the driver about it and then the interior display was messed up, repeating the same scrolling PR message.

• 8 months later...

That's the excuse I'd give to an OC driver after her finished up a rural express route from LeBreton to Vars (outside of Ottawa) or to Richmond. Claim that I'm "lost" when the really is that I just wanted to go on a long rural bus ride

It has happened twice for me. 

The last time it happened though was when I was off work at 10:30PM in Calgary. I got on the Route 3 at Heritage Station that said "Sandstone" which will pass through downtown. Unfortunately the driver forgot to change the destination sign which was Elbow Drive. We ended up going south. I ended up getting off at a random stop where everyone got off. I ended up walking to Southland Station and got home 45 minutes late. This doesn't happen anymore as the 3 doesn't go south and terminates at Heritage before returning to Sandstone. 

The other time was a night after studying for midterms last year, somehow I got on the Red Line Train and when I realized it, the train was going south rather than north. The announcements weren't running which made me thought I was on the correct train. I got off at the Victoria Park Station and Transferred to City Hall and got on a Blue Line Train to NE Calgary. 

I normally take Calgary Transit rte 98 to get home from school.  However one of the buses was running the 453 with the 98 destination sign still set.  I got on and quickly realized I was on the wrong bus.  Thankfully the route goes somewhat close to where I live but I ended up having to walk an extra 10-15 mins home. 

• 6 months later...

Usually never happens to me however there was one time during 2014 where when I boarding my bus at Pinecrest station, there was an invero with a broken destination sign and only showed the numbers. I usually take the 93 or whatever bus from Pinecrest to Lincoln Fields however the 93 at the time had a special trip that went to Bell high school and unbeknownst to me I had boarded that bus... So instead of going on the eastbound Queensway, it took me on the westbound Queensway towards bells corners, the opposite direction I wanted to go.. thank God they remembered those trips back to route 660 as it was prior to September 4th 2011... Having the 93 Branch that went the opposite direction really confused the Hell out of people...

• 6 months later...

This was years ago but I still remember my first time on the CMBC 405. I got off the SkyTrain at Brighouse to catch one and I accidentally got onto the Cambie instead of the Five Road because I was confused by the map and after looking at it, I thought it would travel eastbound along Cambie and turn right onto Five Road (with the Five Road bus heading the opposite way—I only took the C93 at the time so I didn't understand how the other routes worked when it came to destination naming). Luckily, the same bus was going to head back in the other direction instead of becoming a 407 when it got to Marine so I didn't have to get out and wait in the blazing hot sun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a few times because sometimes the first bus that takes up the platform doesn't depart on-time or the bus I am trying to catch can't use the correct platform due to the departure timings. Sometimes, you are only focused on which bus is serving the platform but forget to check the destination sign.

During evenings/Sundays when buses drop to hourly, one route interlines into a different branch once it reaches the terminus. I always see people confused who assumed the direct way from the south-end heading to the north-end to realize it is going to take the long way. Not all transit operators communicate that or advise on alternatives. Since scheduling is staggered so it is hard to know which options are available if any.