2018-2022 Community Shuttle Procurement

buizelbus

According to page 153 of the December 14, 2017 board meeting report, there is a project titled "2019 Community Shuttle Replacement" to replace 49 EOL shuttles with 49 low floor shuttles. This will be a major improvement to accessibility. 

• Project will cost 12 million dollars
  • Net cost to TransLink only 1.2 million

Screenshot.thumb.png.b342db7c500ad9664d9d09147b15962e.png

EDIT: There's an additional order for 2018 Girardin G5s, please put information and in service dates here.

EDIT: Additional orders for 2021 ARBOC SOF - 53 units ordered.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, buizel10 said:

According to page 153 of the December 14, 2017 board meeting report, there is a project titled "2019 Community Shuttle Replacement" to replace 39 EOL shuttles with 39 low floor shuttles. This will be a major improvement to accessibility. 

Wooooooooooooooooooot. Straight up good news.

4 hours ago, buizel10 said:

According to page 153 of the December 14, 2017 board meeting report, there is a project titled "2019 Community Shuttle Replacement" to replace 39 EOL shuttles with 39 low floor shuttles. This will be a major improvement to accessibility. 

*49 ?

If I had to guess, I'd say this would be replacing the 2014 order. S501-44 and S1322-25 adds up to 48 shuttles, maybe S1321 (or S1316, which the wiki lists as having a 2014 build date) in there too to get exactly 49. Man, those don't even seem that old...

Wonder what's happening with replacements for the rest of the S1300s, since they should be due for retirement/resale at more or less the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

This is nitpicking for sure, but I wish whoever integrates these could slap the front destination sign cap of a Girardin onto the front of an ARBOC body... While they are not the end of the world, the amount of space that ARBOC gives for destination signs is borderline atrocious.

4 minutes ago, Matt Dunlop said:

So... 49 shuttles with a cost of $12m. For just a little more, TransLink could purchase 30-foot Vicinitys, like BC Transit is doing. Although I'm not sure if CSO drivers in Vancouver have air endorsement or not. 

Approximately. Grande West has bid on previous CS contracts before, too.

1 hour ago, Matt Dunlop said:

So... 49 shuttles with a cost of $12m. For just a little more, TransLink could purchase 30-foot Vicinitys, like BC Transit is doing. Although I'm not sure if CSO drivers in Vancouver have air endorsement or not. 

So far as I know CMBC only trains Shuttle drivers to Class 4 (unrestricted) standards.  Only licensed to carry 24 pax and no air brakes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NotQuite said:

So far as I know CMBC only trains Shuttle drivers to Class 4 (unrestricted) standards.  Only licensed to carry 24 pax and no air brakes. 

24 seats. Unlimited number of standees. Driving a Vicinity (or a 30' NFI MiDi) AIUI only requires adding an air-brake certification.

56 minutes ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Well recently, Edmonton Transit bought 30-foot Vicinitys and they're having CSO operators drive them (for the same pay as before). I'd imagine they must just say no standees on those buses, because their CSO operators are only Class 4 unrestricted but have air brake endorsement. 

Is an Alberta Class 4 unrestricted DL the same as a BC one ??

19 hours ago, NotQuite said:

That is correct.  Many times I have boarded a C23 at Davie and Mainland and even though there is standing room and people waiting to get on, the driver does a head count and refuses access to any more than 24 passengers.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GORDOOM said:

24 seats. Unlimited number of standees. Driving a Vicinity (or a 30' NFI MiDi) AIUI only requires adding an air-brake certification.

I suspect that the number (24) of seats actually refers to total number of pax as all bus operations other than transit are restricted to NO STANDEES. Therefore for all other operators the number of seats would equal number of passengers permitted.

1 hour ago, Stormscape said:

So in our current shuttles, that means 20 seated and 4 standees,

On the C23 (before the reconfiguration of the rte 6) there would be tons of passengers to / from Canada Line / Airport.  Often times there were more than 4 standees and many seated luggage/ duffel bags/ suitcases LOL..

1 hour ago, Stormscape said:

Yeah, 24 is the absolute maximum, including standees. So in our current shuttles, that means 20 seated and 4 standees, and in the low floor ones WVMT has, I want to say 1 standee? Or do they have a full 24 seats?

Interesting case here. Ontario's Metrolinx is placing a similar order in the near future:

Like BC/AB, ON has a 24-seat limit for its F class license, excluding Z-class air-brake endorsement; any more than 24 and you need a C class.

On a competitor's note, Alexander Dennis's brochure for the Enviro200 specifies up to 24 seats in the 30-foot model (without wheelchair spaces), but plenty of standing room would be worthy of eliminating F-class licensees from driving them because they essentially behave like a mini-version of a full-size, 40-foot vehicle.

23 hours ago, NotQuite said:

Is an Alberta Class 4 unrestricted DL the same as a BC one ??

Yes. 

The holder of a Class 4 driver’s 
licence may operate the following: 
• any motor vehicle or combination of 
   vehicles that the holder of a Class 5 
   driver’s licence may operate 
• a bus that has a seating capacity of not 
   more than 24, excluding the operator 

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Express691 said:

Scope of work JUST put up:

https://service.ariba.com/Discovery.aw/ad/viewRFX?id=6109714

Apparently 5 HF shuttles are part of this first order.

BASE ORDER: 49 Low Floor and 5 High Floor.

2020 option: 9 shuttles, high and/or low floor

2021 option: 73 shuttles,  high and/or low floor

Going forward I'm assuming all shuttle orders are Spirit of Mobility for LF and G5 for HF

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 8010 said:

I'm assuming the 5 high-floor shuttles are for First Transit because it doesn't make much sense for CMBC to have a large order of low-floors and then have 5 random high-floors.

I wonder if they are long bodies (or even truck based – Fords maybe, F550 or F650? the new Chevy 5500 is made by Navistar which didn't leave good first impressions when Translink ordered the Champions with IC chassis) to replace the S300-series GMCs?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, buizelbus said:

Quick question with those that know better - is this the order that started arriving late this year? Or was that another order?

These are two separate orders afaik. The 18500s (1-9 being ARBOCS, 10-27 being Girardins) are meant to replace the remaining S1300s at WVMT, Langley First Transit and HTC. The (presumably numbered) 19500s are supposedly all low floors meant to replace the S500s. At this point though I'm not sure if anything has changed about the low floor order since this thread began.

• Like 1