Jump to content
buizelbus

2018/2019 Community Shuttle Procurement

Recommended Posts

On January 2, 2019 at 5:55 AM, ThatBusGuy said:

These are two separate orders afaik. The 18500s (1-9 being ARBOCS, 10-27 being Girardins) are meant to replace the remaining S1300s at WVMT, Langley First Transit and HTC. The (presumably numbered) 19500s are supposedly all low floors meant to replace the S500s. At this point though I'm not sure if anything has changed about the low floor order since this thread began.

Hold it. They are getting more this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Urban_Monkey Transit said:

Hold it. They are getting more this year?

Yeah this order has been around since about June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting side note: I took one of First Transit Langley's 2018 shuttles today and noticed it didn't have the traditional Next Stop sign inside, instead there were a couple of L-shaped bars that looked like they could be used to support one of the modern interior signs. I'm wondering if that's an indicator that either these shuttles will be moved to CMBC's fleet and replaced with something else, or that the contractor shuttles could be getting full gps tracking and stop announcements. Either way, seems like something that would happen soon because right now there's no indicator to passengers that the stop has been pulled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThatBusGuy said:

Interesting side note: I took one of First Transit Langley's 2018 shuttles today and noticed it didn't have the traditional Next Stop sign inside, instead there were a couple of L-shaped bars that looked like they could be used to support one of the modern interior signs. I'm wondering if that's an indicator that either these shuttles will be moved to CMBC's fleet and replaced with something else, or that the contractor shuttles could be getting full gps tracking and stop announcements. Either way, seems like something that would happen soon because right now there's no indicator to passengers that the stop has been pulled.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you have pictures?

Also, do 18522-18524 + 18527 have this same new technology?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, FlyingPig said:

I'm not sure I understand. Do you have pictures?

Also, do 18522-18524 + 18527 have this same new technology?

Didn't get pictures unfortunately, I'll try make do without.

First of all, I'm not talking about "new technology," it's standard on all CMBC's buses and shuttles. It's how the bus knows where it is on the route so that it can update the interior sign and play the stop name audio. The contractor shuttles in Langley and on Bowen Island (and in New West until HTC took over those routes) don't use the system, which is why you can't see them on tcomm. It also means the interior sign doesn't have LEDs saying the name of the next stop - just a Next Stop sign that lights up when the stop cord is pulled.

Basically, the shuttle I was on (18516) didn't have that sign, or any indicator at all that someone requested a stop. So, I'm wondering if they are considering installing the modern LED signs instead, which could mean the shuttle is being sent elsewhere or the contractor shuttles will be using location tracking which would allow them to use the better signs. Of course, they could just be slow at installing the old type for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think your on to something here.  They don't typically put a bus out for service until it's completely ready in all aspects unless there is a reason for it.  I'm going to guess your on the right track of them installing what CMBC has on thier buses.  Translink is on a mission to improve customer image all over the system and this could be a part of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ThatBusGuy said:

Didn't get pictures unfortunately, I'll try make do without.

First of all, I'm not talking about "new technology," it's standard on all CMBC's buses and shuttles. It's how the bus knows where it is on the route so that it can update the interior sign and play the stop name audio. The contractor shuttles in Langley and on Bowen Island (and in New West until HTC took over those routes) don't use the system, which is why you can't see them on tcomm. It also means the interior sign doesn't have LEDs saying the name of the next stop - just a Next Stop sign that lights up when the stop cord is pulled.

Basically, the shuttle I was on (18516) didn't have that sign, or any indicator at all that someone requested a stop. So, I'm wondering if they are considering installing the modern LED signs instead, which could mean the shuttle is being sent elsewhere or the contractor shuttles will be using location tracking which would allow them to use the better signs. Of course, they could just be slow at installing the old type for some reason.

They make all shuttles for CMBC spec, but CMBC doesn't put the gps tracking into First Transit shuttles. But the bracket is the same. The 175xx shuttles for First Transit have the same thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, popillil said:

They make all shuttles for CMBC spec, but CMBC doesn't put the gps tracking into First Transit shuttles. But the bracket is the same. The 175xx shuttles for First Transit have the same thing.

This solution is way better than the old Eldorados where all of the ex-contractor units end up with big holes in the ceiling after transferring to cmbc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×