Jump to content

2018-2022 Community Shuttle Procurement


buizelbus
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 5/26/2020 at 2:22 PM, Express691 said:

A bus is a bus, and transporting people should be prioritized regardless of bus model/type.

That being said, I have seen some negative feedback from drivers and riders alike regarding these shuttles (steep wheelchair ramp and the overall design). Nonetheless, if Victoria is so used to them, then I'm sure that CMBC will as well.

Victoria's new Handydarts are G5s because of operators disliking how mobility aids are loaded and unloaded from Arbocs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 6/2/2020 at 8:54 AM, Matt Dunlop said:

Speaking of Victoria, all of our Arbocs are now retired here. Heard now from 4 sources. 

Switching to G5s now?

1 hour ago, Meraki said:

The Arbocs are ugly compared to the G5 and hold less people, I'm personally not a fan of them.

Styling aside, I'm also no fan of the ride quality. I know G5 bodies are mostly (if not completely) metal. What are Arboc bodies made of?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

Switching to G5s now?

Styling aside, I'm also no fan of the ride quality. I know G5 bodies are mostly (if not completely) metal. What are Arboc bodies made of?

All of our "transit" Arbocs are retired now (scrapped, sold, or sent to other BC Transit systems). BC Transit is still buying more Arbocs (26-ft gasoline SOF bodied models) as well as G5's. As far as Victoria goes, Grande West Vicinity is the new community bus. 

8 hours ago, Meraki said:

The Arbocs are ugly compared to the G5 and hold less people, I'm personally not a fan of them.

High-floor for the win! Arbocs ride rough

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/17/2020 at 5:44 AM, 8010 said:

According to ARBOC's website the SOM bodies are fully laminated.

I'm no expert on bus body construction so I have no idea what that means. What would it be in simpler terms like "Krystal Koach bodies utilise a steel skeleton and aluminium skin construction"?

On 9/17/2020 at 6:20 AM, Matt Dunlop said:

As far as Victoria goes, Grande West Vicinity is the new community bus.

Seems like a nice upgrade from cutaways since I haven't really heard anything bad about Vicinities. Are the new ones still coming from China or from the U.S. now that they have plants down there?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

I'm no expert on bus body construction so I have no idea what that means. What would it be in simpler terms like "Krystal Koach bodies utilise a steel skeleton and aluminium skin construction"?

Seems like a nice upgrade from cutaways since I haven't really heard anything bad about Vicinities. Are the new ones still coming from China or from the U.S. now that they have plants down there?

I don't think they make the Vicinitys in US or Canada. They arrive in Aldergrove pre-built and probably just get decalled there and inspected. Vicinity's are not great buses but for what they are replacing, they're better. They accelerate slower than a cutaway given their weight, they get worse fuel mileage, but make it easier to load wheelchairs, mobility aids, and have 4 more seats (30-footers have 24 seats). Of course the drawback is the operator must have a Class 2 license, but that's not an issue for most agencies as they have moved all operators to Class 2. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Matt Dunlop said:

I don't think they make the Vicinitys in US or Canada. They arrive in Aldergrove pre-built and probably just get decalled there and inspected. Vicinity's are not great buses but for what they are replacing, they're better. They accelerate slower than a cutaway given their weight, they get worse fuel mileage, but make it easier to load wheelchairs, mobility aids, and have 4 more seats (30-footers have 24 seats). Of course the drawback is the operator must have a Class 2 license, but that's not an issue for most agencies as they have moved all operators to Class 2. 

IIRC they do have what is more or less a pickup truck engine (Cummins B series, same as the Chrysler Ram trucks). That could explain why their performance leaves so much to be desired.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

IIRC they do have what is more or less a pickup truck engine (Cummins B series, same as the Chrysler Ram trucks). That could explain why their performance leaves so much to be desired.

I'm not 100% certain but I believe they have some varient of the B6.7 Cummins engine. Less horsepower than a truck but much more torquey. Don't forget some of our Vicinitys are diesel some are natural gas. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 12/10/2018 at 3:44 PM, Express691 said:

https://service.ariba.com/Discovery.aw/ad/viewRFX?id=6109714

2021 option: 73 shuttles,  high and/or low floor

53/73 options were exercised for 2021, and these will be arboc spirit of Freedom, not Spirit of Mobility.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/arboc-receives-order-for-53-low-floor-spirit-of-freedom-buses-for-british-columbia-s-translink-832707935.html

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Express691 said:

53/73 options were exercised for 2021, and these will be arboc spirit of Freedom, not Spirit of Mobility.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/arboc-receives-order-for-53-low-floor-spirit-of-freedom-buses-for-british-columbia-s-translink-832707935.html

No idea what the difference is between the two but please tell me the destination signs will be an improvement over the practically unreadable half-inch tall displays we have now 🤣

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, FlyingPig said:

No idea what the difference is between the two but please tell me the destination signs will be an improvement over the practically unreadable half-inch tall displays we have now 🤣

That’s a good point; I looked online and I can’t make out any differences. If anyone is able to provide some insight, I’d appreciate it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Citaro said:

That’s a good point; I looked online and I can’t make out any differences. If anyone is able to provide some insight, I’d appreciate it!

The front door is slightly wider and not angled. I’m pretty sure that’s the only noticeable difference.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
On 12/10/2018 at 3:44 PM, Express691 said:

Scope of work JUST put up:

https://service.ariba.com/Discovery.aw/ad/viewRFX?id=6109714

Apparently 5 HF shuttles are part of this first order.

BASE ORDER: 49 Low Floor and 5 High Floor.

2020 option: 9 shuttles, high and/or low floor

2021 option: 73 shuttles,  high and/or low floor

One of these options has been exercised and they have started arriving in PCT, likely the latter (but could be both).

Was holding back on this info as I saw some units while passing the Dynamic lot on 96th last week.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, popillil said:

Not in service, likely running around for driver familiarization.

Yeah, saw another post of 21502 at Haney Place surrounded by employees. Didn't look like it was actually ready for service because the shower curtain hasn't been installed yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • buizelbus changed the title to 2018-2022 Community Shuttle Procurement

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...