Express691

2019/2020 Double-Decker bus Procurement

43 minutes ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Yes. It made its way to Langford today, I took a few photos, just waiting for them to upload to my PC. 

20190916_140515.jpg

Is that a priority seating sticker next to the yield sticker?

• Confused 4

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I haven't seen this question or an answer to it.  Is there a reason that some of our new DD's are over in Victoria?  Is it for training, or does BC Transit just want to take a look to see the differences between theirs and ours?

10 minutes ago, Tidom said:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I haven't seen this question or an answer to it.  Is there a reason that some of our new DD's are over in Victoria?  Is it for training, or does BC Transit just want to take a look to see the differences between theirs and ours?

BC Transit is ordering some new units to replace their older units.  And I believe they are going in with Translink to order so they both save money.  Maybe they are checking out Translink's specs to have them the same aside from the livery of course.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Brando737 said:

BC Transit is ordering some new units to replace their older units.  And I believe they are going in with Translink to order so they both save money.  Maybe they are checking out Translink's specs to have them the same aside from the livery of course.

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/pm-premier-pledge-79m-for-118-new-buses-majority-for-greater-victoria-1.23890219 

It's 19 deckers for Victoria, if anyone's asking. 8 for expansion, 11 replacement.

On 9/17/2019 at 11:10 AM, Tidom said:

CNG low-floors and deckers, yes. I can only assume Vicinity CNG, XN40, and Enviro500. BC Transit's always gone with Voith, so my guess is they'll be Voith. Every new bus that BC Transit buys will be equipped with the driver shield. 

Just passed R19407 and R19408 fueling up at the Petro Canada on the Trans Canada and Highway 22 just West of Calgary. So you'll see those in Vancouver soon!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

What do you think for that article??

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/west-vancouver-b-line-double-decker-buses?fbclid=IwAR28d1GCUdW1ddBDjuxyJHl2feEqM1qkCYC8bchVYMYaO0KiI2XDe2wMJtk

A West Vancouver councillor has suggested that the proposed use of double-decker buses instead of the longer articulated buses for the North Shore B-Line, now named the R2 Marine Drive, may have resulted in more support for the RapidBus service.

Councillor Craig Cameron – who represented Mayor Mary-Ann Booth during today’s TransLink Mayors’ Council meeting – said one of the concerns opponents expressed during the B-Line debate early in the year revolved around the use of the 60-ft-long articulated buses, but they held different attitudes with the 40-ft-long double-decker buses.

“I’ve had people say in West Vancouver with a straight face that ‘we didn’t like the B-Line’s articulated buses, but we really would like double-decker buses,'” he told the regional council.

“I think reliability and frequency and all those tangible things are important, but intangibles are also so important when it comes to transit use — the emotional experience. When I talk to people who don’t use transit, and I ask them the reason, a lot of them say they don’t like the feeling of being on the bus. But paradoxically, and somewhat irrationally, people seem to love double-decker buses. That’s my impression.”

The comments came after TransLink staff provided an update on public feedback on the introduction of double-decker buses, with the first of 32 new buses rolled into service in October of this year for longer-haul routes in the south of Fraser communities.

By fall 2020, TransLink will have a total fleet of 57 double-decker buses, as an additional order of 25 buses has been made. These buses will be used on other routes elsewhere in the region.

Geoff Cross, the vice-president of transportation planning and policy at TransLink, says the first batch of double-decker buses will provide the public transit authority with the necessary experience it needs before it expands the use of these bus models.

“We know people’s perceptions and there are comfort pluses to having more seated facilities compared to an articulate buses, and it’s especially helpful for longer trips. That’s why we’re putting them on the longer express routes as a starting point,” said Cross.

“We want to get more experience with that and see what our customers like and how they work as far as they load and unload passengers. There are tradeoffs, and that’s where.”

With the B-Line controversy in West Vancouver, of course, there were a myriad of concerns other than the use of articulated buses. Critics also brought up their concerns with street-parking loss for bus-only lanes, bus noise and pollution, traffic congestion, the route’s close proximity to schools and childcare facilities, and even a change in neighbourhood character.

Ultimately, the District of West Vancouver decided against bus-only lanes and running the new bus service west of Park Royal. The RapidBus service was originally proposed to run as far west as Dundarave.

Five RapidBus routes will launch in early 2020, including three new routes (R2 Marine Drive, R3 Lougheed Highway, and R4 41st Avenue) and the upgrade of two existing B-Line routes (95 B-Line to R5 Hastings Street, and 96 B-Line to R1 King George Boulevard).

7 hours ago, Cathay 888 said:

Unless the RapidBus route travels mostly along a highway, it should just stick to artics.

15 hours ago, Cathay 888 said:

There is precedent for it: AIUI the reason the provincial fleet bought double-deckers instead of artics is because downtown Victoria is too congested for artics. You could operate a sub-fleet of double-deckers on the North Shore for the Marine Drive RapidBus and the #257.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Danthetransitfan8074 said:

But the thing is, will the DD fit through the streets there? 

When they were testing the heights for DDs on the 257, I'm pretty sure they had to go up Taylor way because it couldn't fit under the overpass at Park Royal. So unless they're planning on replacing that, doubtful of seeing any double deckers going past there.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2019 at 11:22 PM, ThatBusGuy said:

When they were testing the heights for DDs on the 257, I'm pretty sure they had to go up Taylor way because it couldn't fit under the overpass at Park Royal. So unless they're planning on replacing that, doubtful of seeing any double deckers going past there.

That would essentially turn it into the Bowen Island Express (easily recognized as the white Prevost LeMirage XL-II running between HSB and DT Vancouver via Taylor Way for anyone out of the loop)

Does anyone know when the first double Decker is coming out? (Except r19410 in Victoria doing some work for bct). I'm more interested in R19407 because the 7 stands for my buddies birthday and i hope it comes out in October (this month). 

I can't find any other information except for they start service in October

3 minutes ago, Busmanic92 said:

I can't find any other information except for they start service in October

You mean they were supposed to enter service in October.

Thus far, there is still only one on the property at RTC, and it hasn't been commissioned yet (no plates).

Also, there has not even been so much as an announcement about vehicle characteristics training for operators, which was supposed to start in mid-September. Even once the buses start being commissioned, it is unlikely that they will enter service until that training has been completed.

So it's probably going to be a while yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MCW Metrobus said:

You mean they were supposed to enter service in October.

Thus far, there is still only one on the property at RTC, and it hasn't been commissioned yet (no plates).

Also, there has not even been so much as an announcement about vehicle characteristics training for operators, which was supposed to start in mid-September. Even once the buses start being commissioned, it is unlikely that they will enter service until that training has been completed.

So it's probably going to be a while yet.

Yes i meant *supposed* to enter service in October

As much as I'd rather see the deckers in service sooner rather than later, wouldn't it make more sense to hold them off until the RapidBus launch in January? Then we would have deckers on the 301, 555, and 620 on day one of service rather than waiting what will most likely be a month and a half for them to be introduced on the 555, assuming they're going to now be introduced in November. There would also be some additional artics that could be used on the 49 for when it gets rerouted along Wesbrook Mall between 16th and Marine, which will no doubt make the route even busier.

Just my thoughts on this whole delay for the deckers.

13 minutes ago, 8010 said:

As much as I'd rather see the deckers in service sooner rather than later, wouldn't it make more sense to hold them off until the RapidBus launch in January? Then we would have deckers on the 301, 555, and 620 on day one of service rather than waiting what will most likely be a month and a half for them to be introduced on the 555, assuming they're going to now be introduced in November. There would also be some additional artics that could be used on the 49 for when it gets rerouted along Wesbrook Mall between 16th and Marine, which will no doubt make the route even busier.

Just my thoughts on this whole delay for the deckers.

As far as I'm concerned, the decker rollout is meant to speed up Orion V retirement. 

======

620 peak output M-F is 5 artics, but another problem I see right now is how the 49 is starting to face the same problem as the 99 - the route/corridor is busy enough that you can't really add any more buses. 49th is already bad enough as a corridor

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Express691 said:

As far as I'm concerned, the decker rollout is meant to speed up Orion V retirement. 

======

620 peak output M-F is 5 artics, but another problem I see right now is how the 49 is starting to face the same problem as the 99 - the route/corridor is busy enough that you can't really add any more buses. 49th is already bad enough as a corridor

You're right on the Orion retirement (although it wouldn't kill them to keep the worst units around for a couple more months) but I think the 5 expansion units are supposed to be for the 620 if I'm not wrong.

As for the whole 49 problem, there are 3 solutions I can see to alleviate the issues the route is currently facing:

1) introduce bus-only lanes between Arbutus and Boundary

2) introduce a peak-only express service with the possibility of a RapidBus upgrade in the future

3) speed-up plans for rapid transit along 41st Avenue (the most unlikely option)

53 minutes ago, 8010 said:

You're right on the Orion retirement (although it wouldn't kill them to keep the worst units around for a couple more months) but I think the 5 expansion units are supposed to be for the 620 if I'm not wrong.

As for the whole 49 problem, there are 3 solutions I can see to alleviate the issues the route is currently facing:

1) introduce bus-only lanes between Arbutus and Boundary

2) introduce a peak-only express service with the possibility of a RapidBus upgrade in the future

3) speed-up plans for rapid transit along 41st Avenue (the most unlikely option)

The city seems to be warming up to bus lanes and other improvements such as red bus zones. Hopefully they'll take a look at 49th too.

I don't think we're quite at the point of "too many buses" on the 49 yet. At rush hours the headway goes down to a minimum of 4 minutes, but at all other times (esp. in the evening) there is a lot more room for improvement.

In addition to these suggestions, all door boarding at select stops (like UBC, Cambie, Langara, Metrotown at least) would go a long way.

• Like 1

What is needed on the 49th are trips starting/ending at 49th & Cambie (AM peak) ending at Cambie WB, EB starting at Cambie in the PM peak like how they were in the past. 

1 hour ago, dover5949 said:

What is needed on the 49th are trips starting/ending at 49th & Cambie (AM peak) ending at Cambie WB, EB starting at Cambie in the PM peak like how they were in the past. 

I'll respond to this discussion in the Transit service thread

I just saw two deckers on a freight train next to Sperling Station (couldn't get the unit numbers). The train was heading towards Vancouver

Is this a standard form of procurement?

4 hours ago, bob32189 said:

I just saw two deckers on a freight train next to Sperling Station (couldn't get the unit numbers). The train was heading towards Vancouver

Is this a standard form of procurement?

If it’s green and white it’s for Victoria.