Jump to content
Express691

2019/2020 Double-Decker bus Procurement

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Phillip said:

19412, 19415, 19427, 19429 at RTC.

About time we started getting the rest of the order. I don't think any new ones have entered service now for about three weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Is 19410 in service? That's the one that came to Langford garage last year for unknown reasons. 

It entered service on the last day of the decade (December 31st)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

I know this was touched upon last year, but did anyone ever get a reason as to why Translink specced the DDs with that roof mounted tailpipe?

Keeps the exhaust away from road level.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Phillip said:

19416 is at RTC

Not surprising given that it's been in service since December 😉

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ThatBusGuy said:

Not surprising given that it's been in service since December 😉

Ops! I saw it on the commissioning line. Shows how observant I am. 😀

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phillip said:

Ops! I saw it on the commissioning line. Shows how observant I am. 😀

Heh. Looks like I actually got a picture of it a while back after grabbing it on the 620

image.thumb.jpeg.f68b17bad802ba9de797bf7e6bd9164d.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My last four trips on the 620 have been artic's, including the other vehicles I've seen on the route while riding. Are they off that route for now, or is it just inconsistent? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Dane said:

My last four trips on the 620 have been artic's, including the other vehicles I've seen on the route while riding. Are they off that route for now, or is it just inconsistent? 

seems to be inconsistent, at least of this week. Specifically today, some of the all-day runs on 301/555 haven't been getting the normal deckers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my two cents on the Double Deckers. They are nice buses to drive, they turn very sharp and you barely notice the top deck while driving.  

 

However, I feel they need some adjustments done. When the rear door is open the driver monitor only shows the rear door, I wish it showed the top deck so I can see when everyone who wants off the bus is off and it's clear to load passengers. Also the door controls are sensitive, the doors will not close until the bus is fully raised from the kneel position and the brakes are applied, the brakes having to be applied I can live with but sometimes I jump the gun and close the doors before the bus is fully raised. This makes the double deckers bus slower to operate. 

 

I had some issues with the rear doors freezing up while closing, it happened to me on three occasions and I ended up having to BO the bus and get a replacement. And I had an occasion where the rear door would not open when you push the gray bars despite the rear doors being activated. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Phillip said:

Here's my two cents on the Double Deckers. They are nice buses to drive, they turn very sharp and you barely notice the top deck while driving.  

 

However, I feel they need some adjustments done. When the rear door is open the driver monitor only shows the rear door, I wish it showed the top deck so I can see when everyone who wants off the bus is off and it's clear to load passengers. Also the door controls are sensitive, the doors will not close until the bus is fully raised from the kneel position and the brakes are applied, the brakes having to be applied I can live with but sometimes I jump the gun and close the doors before the bus is fully raised. This makes the double deckers bus slower to operate. 

 

I had some issues with the rear doors freezing up while closing, it happened to me on three occasions and I ended up having to BO the bus and get a replacement. And I had an occasion where the rear door would not open when you push the gray bars despite the rear doors being activated. 

I have heard from Victoria operators that double deckers feel well planted to the ground and actually handle better than low-floors, and that you basically forget about the entire upstairs of your bus sometimes, although you have to think sometimes when they put you on a detour and there are low-hanging power lines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Matt Dunlop said:

I have heard from Victoria operators that double deckers feel well planted to the ground and actually handle better than low-floors

I mean, right from the early days of the routemasters double-deckers have always had an uncanny stability despite their awkward size. I have a feeling that it's for similar reasons to why ferries have such shallow drafts - most of a the space is air (even when full), and when you have a giant diesel engine and gas tanks only a few inches above ground level that counteracts that awful lot of air up high. Even when it's jammed full, compared to say a double-decker truck the space is still very empty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MCW Metrobus said:

...apparently it didn't last long. 😂

Only an hour then 19415 came in to take over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MCW Metrobus said:

...apparently it didn't last long. 😂

Nearly an hour NIS trip from RTC to the 555 only to be BO and needed a replacement. 😁 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...