2019/2020 Double-Decker bus Procurement

Express691

12 hours ago, Phillip said:

There's a Decker parked at HTC this morning, I didn't get the unit number because I was WB on hwy 91 and looked over as I passed by.

That would be a 194xx, its been parked there for a few weeks, maybe a couple months. From what I've seen it has had its rear right side repaired.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

There may soon be another 19 unit at a random TC because one just ran into a ditch

19401 ran into the ditch on hwy 99 near King George Blvd late Wednesday night and it's been there since. I passed it all day yesterday while driving the 351, it's four way hazard lights were flashing all day so the battery is likely drained now.

On 12/16/2021 at 2:04 PM, UprisingCanadian said:

Is it just me or do the unit numbers have a different font compared to the previous order of ADLs?

Thanks for calling that out. Thought I was the only one who paid attention to such things.

I don't get it. Here is an expensive, high-profile piece of equipment with hundreds of complex systems and parts -- and -that's- the detail they miss? It's like an insult to the whole vehicle. We've painstakingly built this beautiful machine -- but we can't be bothered with a small-but-visible feature that would cost like 50 cents to get right.

Translink's "brand" font is consistent -- though it's not custom. It's FF Meta -- either the Medium or Bold weight, with some hand-applied kerning.

image.thumb.png.369c8496ff671ed5623b9fa025272e94.png image.thumb.png.0aa22503ebf90612d1e4daec384857da.png

I know some buses use Helvetica for fleet number decals. That's not great either but I can overlook it -- Helvetica has earned status as the "de facto" font for things like fleet numbers. But Arial?! That just looks cheap. These are the kinds of things that customers notice without noticing. Every cut corner subtly makes the system appear less "together".

Good news is, it's easy to replace these limp Arial decals with Meta! Heck, I'll even shell out a fat $100 so CMBC can retrofit the whole set of 21400s!  ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Phillip said:

19401 ran into the ditch on hwy 99 near King George Blvd late Wednesday night and it's been there since. I passed it all day yesterday while driving the 351, it's four way hazard lights were flashing all day so the battery is likely drained now.

My dad works in South Surrey, and he said 19401 was out of the ditch by this morning. I noticed that the doors were open, so along with possible exterior damage, there could be some water damage inside 19401.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, 96 Blader Line said:

Ngl I'm kinda a perfection ness and it's kinda annoying me about there fonts but these buses were 2 year delay so its nice to see progress

If you’re a perfectionist then why do you write so carelessly?

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 5

37 minutes ago, 96 Blader Line said:

Will the New Deckers have seatbelts? Cause from the new Go transit deckers it was mandated as of Sept 1 2020 by Transport Canada for unitd built pass that dat

I haven't looked inside the new buses myself, but I don't believe they do (I could be wrong).

Go Transit is an intercity transit system where Translink is a more traditional transit system, and even though Translink buses travel on the highway and within cities, by definition, they are not an intercity transit service and thus the seatbelt mandate from Transport Canada doesn't apply to Translink.  Just like the new Arctics, they don't have seatbelts and 60fters are used on "highway" runs all the time.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MCW Metrobus said:

Speaking of seatbelts... did you happen to see if the driver's seat is equipped with the three-point seatbelt?

Driver seats are always equipped with a 3 point seatbelt. The more interesting part is whether passenger seats have a 3 point seatbelt. The newest GO Transit double deckers have them and so there has been quite a bit of speculation whether the 214xx have the passenger seatbelts or not.

5 hours ago, anyfong said:

Driver seats are always equipped with a 3 point seatbelt. The more interesting part is whether passenger seats have a 3 point seatbelt. The newest GO Transit double deckers have them and so there has been quite a bit of speculation whether the 214xx have the passenger seatbelts or not.

I did ask about the seatbelts in the discord server for Tcomm and Sorry bus full also but its just speculation

On 4/6/2022 at 8:28 AM, MCW Metrobus said:

Speaking of seatbelts... did you happen to see if the driver's seat is equipped with the three-point seatbelt?

I wasn't observant enough to notice, ? I only took a quick look inside and there was another driver looking too. From my understanding, all new orders will come with a three-point seatbelt 

5 hours ago, Phillip said:

I wasn't observant enough to notice, ? I only took a quick look inside and there was another driver looking too. From my understanding, all new orders will come with a three-point seatbelt 

I doubt that the 2021 DDs will have passenger seatbelts. New three point belt is pretty good for safety tho.

On 4/6/2022 at 11:27 AM, anyfong said:

I believe the answer is no, seatbelts are only been required on intercity services whereas TransLink qualifies as a municipal transit service

• 2 weeks later...