2019/2020 Double-Decker bus Procurement

Express691

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Dane said:

My last four trips on the 620 have been artic's, including the other vehicles I've seen on the route while riding. Are they off that route for now, or is it just inconsistent? 

seems to be inconsistent, at least of this week. Specifically today, some of the all-day runs on 301/555 haven't been getting the normal deckers.

Here's my two cents on the Double Deckers. They are nice buses to drive, they turn very sharp and you barely notice the top deck while driving.  

However, I feel they need some adjustments done. When the rear door is open the driver monitor only shows the rear door, I wish it showed the top deck so I can see when everyone who wants off the bus is off and it's clear to load passengers. Also the door controls are sensitive, the doors will not close until the bus is fully raised from the kneel position and the brakes are applied, the brakes having to be applied I can live with but sometimes I jump the gun and close the doors before the bus is fully raised. This makes the double deckers bus slower to operate. 

I had some issues with the rear doors freezing up while closing, it happened to me on three occasions and I ended up having to BO the bus and get a replacement. And I had an occasion where the rear door would not open when you push the gray bars despite the rear doors being activated. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Phillip said:

Here's my two cents on the Double Deckers. They are nice buses to drive, they turn very sharp and you barely notice the top deck while driving.  

However, I feel they need some adjustments done. When the rear door is open the driver monitor only shows the rear door, I wish it showed the top deck so I can see when everyone who wants off the bus is off and it's clear to load passengers. Also the door controls are sensitive, the doors will not close until the bus is fully raised from the kneel position and the brakes are applied, the brakes having to be applied I can live with but sometimes I jump the gun and close the doors before the bus is fully raised. This makes the double deckers bus slower to operate. 

I had some issues with the rear doors freezing up while closing, it happened to me on three occasions and I ended up having to BO the bus and get a replacement. And I had an occasion where the rear door would not open when you push the gray bars despite the rear doors being activated. 

I have heard from Victoria operators that double deckers feel well planted to the ground and actually handle better than low-floors, and that you basically forget about the entire upstairs of your bus sometimes, although you have to think sometimes when they put you on a detour and there are low-hanging power lines. 

12 hours ago, Matt Dunlop said:

I have heard from Victoria operators that double deckers feel well planted to the ground and actually handle better than low-floors

I mean, right from the early days of the routemasters double-deckers have always had an uncanny stability despite their awkward size. I have a feeling that it's for similar reasons to why ferries have such shallow drafts - most of a the space is air (even when full), and when you have a giant diesel engine and gas tanks only a few inches above ground level that counteracts that awful lot of air up high. Even when it's jammed full, compared to say a double-decker truck the space is still very empty.