2019/2020 Double-Decker bus Procurement

Express691

4 hours ago, Citaro said:

... that’s not what he was asking about.

I'll go into more detail now I guess

There were two blue CMBC double deckers on flatbeds as part of a freight train consist being pulled westwards towards Vancouver. This was along the CN tracks right next to Sperling Station when I saw them

I tried to get a picture, but I was unable to get my phone out in time, nor could I spot the unit numbers from the distance

I was also asking if this was a standard practice or if this is an exception for the deckers. I have never seen busses being pulled on a freight consist (to my memory, at least), so I was simply asking if this was normal or not

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bob32189 said:

I'll go into more detail now I guess

There were two blue CMBC double deckers on flatbeds as part of a freight train consist being pulled westwards towards Vancouver. This was along the CN tracks right next to Sperling Station when I saw them

I tried to get a picture, but I was unable to get my phone out in time, nor could I spot the unit numbers from the distance

I was also asking if this was a standard practice or if this is an exception for the deckers. I have never seen busses being pulled on a freight consist (to my memory, at least), so I was simply asking if this was normal or not

It hasn't been standard practice for other CMBC bus deliveries, as most have been delivered by road under their own power, with the exception of the New Flyer trolleys which were delivered by flat deck truck. (I think that the old Flyer trolleys from the '80s were delivered by rail though.)

One commonality though is that the ex-GO double deckers that were bought by Wilson's in Victoria were also shipped by rail from Ontario to BC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCW Metrobus said:

It hasn't been standard practice for other CMBC bus deliveries, as most have been delivered by road under their own power, with the exception of the New Flyer trolleys which were delivered by flat deck truck. (I think that the old Flyer trolleys from the '80s were delivered by rail though.)

One commonality though is that the ex-GO double deckers that were bought by Wilson's in Victoria were also shipped by rail from Ontario to BC.

Don't forget the recent battery-electric buses, which were also delivered via flat-bed tractor-trailers.

I forget: are these buses being made in the US or in the UK? The long distance from East Coast ports might explain their choice to ship them this way; it saves the buses from incurring too much mileage prior to delivery...

20 minutes ago, Millennium2002 said:

Don't forget the recent battery-electric buses, which were also delivered via flat-bed tractor-trailers.

I forget: are these buses being made in the US or in the UK? The long distance from East Coast ports might explain their choice to ship them this way; it saves the buses from incurring too much mileage prior to delivery...

I think parts of them are built in each country.

26 minutes ago, Millennium2002 said:

Final assembly might be taking place in Concord, ON. Saw one driving around the GTA.

On 10/25/2019 at 10:17 AM, Phillip said:

19402 at RTC being prepped for service. 

There's actually two double Deckers being prepped at RTC says one op i talked with earlier. Idk the other Decker fleet number though. (probably the one r19410 Victoria "stole" from us for testing and training etc). Idk. Anyone know off a planned date of service entry for them to start? "Late fall". It's coming to November so I'd say "early winter" (i had a lot of snow on my birthday which is a week from now)...

8 hours ago, Busmanic92 said:

There's actually two double Deckers being prepped at RTC says one op i talked with earlier. Idk the other Decker fleet number though. (probably the one r19410 Victoria "stole" from us for testing and training etc). Idk. Anyone know off a planned date of service entry for them to start? "Late fall". It's coming to November so I'd say "early winter" (i had a lot of snow on my birthday which is a week from now)...

I don't know the service entry date. I know Translink said October, maybe they'll push to get one out by or on October 31 so they can say they put them in service in October. ?

10 hours ago, Busmanic92 said:

19401 and 02 are the two on the property. 

They’ll be put on the 301 and 620 once training is finished.