2019/2020 Double-Decker bus Procurement

Express691

7 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

At least the ExpressBus branding is consistent...

The BatteryBus and the RapidBus, on the other hand... In my opinion, not so much.

Is it actually called BatteryBus?

4 hours ago, Cathay 888 said:

My opinion is - it looks nicer than the Rapid Bus livery~~

Not as much of a "visual attack" even though the blue will be brighter in real life

2 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

Is it actually called BatteryBus?

Nah... That was a speculative joke that got carried over from the Battery Bus Trial thread... At the time, no one understood why the roof of it was painted blue like the recently delivered ExpressBuses. People were joking that someone in TransLink made a mistake and that they would have to re-brand it along the lines of ExpressBus and RapidBus to hide the mishap.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Millennium2002 said:

Nah... That was a speculative joke that got carried over from the Battery Bus Trial thread... At the time, no one understood why the roof of it was painted blue like the recently delivered ExpressBuses. People were joking that someone in TransLink made a mistake and that they would have to re-brand it along the lines of ExpressBus and RapidBus to hide the mishap.

That's what I thought it was

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like Coast Mountain will writing the cheque for the 32 double deckers to a different manufacturer.  Alexander Dennis has been bought by New Flyer for $405 million.   From that I would expect more intense marketing of Flyer double deckers to North American cities.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-28/nfi-soars-after-agreeing-to-buy-u-k-double-decker-bus-maker

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YVR said:

It looks like Coast Mountain will writing the cheque for the 32 double deckers to a different manufacturer.  Alexander Dennis has been bought by New Flyer for $405 million.   From that I would expect more intense marketing of Flyer double deckers to North American cities.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-28/nfi-soars-after-agreeing-to-buy-u-k-double-decker-bus-maker

It's just 32 more millions to new flyer.

42 minutes ago, Express691 said:

I doubt the acquisition has anything to do with our 32 deckers though. The procurement has already been done. 

The brand is still separate as far as I know: MCI is a New Flyer company but their lineup of coaches is/are still separate

The only difference I see is New Flyer collecting 32 million more from CMBC.

1 hour ago, Express691 said:

I doubt the acquisition has anything to do with our 32 deckers though. The procurement has already been done. 

The brand is still separate as far as I know: MCI is a New Flyer company but their lineup of coaches is/are still separate

Of course the brand is still separate, it only happened today!  But in the corporate world, the taking over company frequently likes to put their name on the product, time will tell if our deckers arrive with a NFI badge instead of Alexander Dennis.

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Danthetransitfan8074 said:

TransLink isn’t even trying to put in some effort in the liveries anymore. Look at the Orions we have, they have a unique Livery.  This one? 99% the same as the regular.

The Orions are the ugliest vehicles whatsoever in Metro Vancouver. 

Usually the problems come with too much effort resulting in unprofessional, inconsistent paint schemes. Standardizing with charcoal is not a bad idea, even with the new blue roof fairings.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Large Cat said:

Usually the problems come with too much effort resulting in unprofessional, inconsistent paint schemes. Standardizing with charcoal is not a bad idea, even with the new blue roof fairings.

Excuse me? I would say the 3rd Gen novabuses would be the worst. I would say the Orion’s are one of the best because of the comfy seats and that very Suburban look, unlike the new so-called “Suburban” novas, they look just like the city buses.

1 hour ago, Large Cat said:

And I never said they WEREN’T the ugliest.

• Haha 1

On 6/20/2019 at 4:00 PM, Danthetransitfan8074 said:

TransLink isn’t even trying to put in some effort in the liveries anymore. Look at the Orions we have, they have a unique Livery.  This one? 99% the same as the regular.

They put this livery on the XE40s too, making it lose all meaning it had before when it was only on suburban buses. Only rapidbus has a unique livery now. I'm not sure what will happen with the electric novas.

• Like 1