2019/2020 Double-Decker bus Procurement

Express691

20 minutes ago, MiWay0310 said:

Fair enough. However, in Mississauga, our last 8 or so years have included sandpaper floors and I’ve never seen people struggle with it. 

I think the case with the MCI would likely have been because there aren’t enough points of drainage, but I think you would know much more. 

On new flyers, there is a slight gradient on the floors to direct water and grit etc to the exits. Additionally, they have these small drainage holes that can be found behind every wheel inside the bus. It’s a small hole through which you can see the ground below.

Of course, you would know much more than I do, but I’m just explaining what I’ve seen and experienced. 

Yeah, its kind of hard to describe it until you see it. I'd use the term "saturated" but the floors aren't like a wet, saturated strip of leather, where the water is actually absorbed, so that's not really the right word.

And its not like there are pools of standing water, either. It just, the floors have achieved a certain wetness that comes from a high volume of passenger tracking the water into the coach, and that water sitting on the surface of the flooring. With RCA rubber, the ridges, while wet, give the water somewhere to go. 

3 minutes ago, northwesterner said:

And its not like there are pools of standing water, either. It just, the floors have achieved a certain wetness that comes from a high volume of passenger tracking the water into the coach, and that water sitting on the surface of the flooring. With RCA rubber, the ridges, while wet, give the water somewhere to go. 

Perhaps. The last buses we got with rubberized channeling were our 2010 NG HEVs. Since then, MiWay has never received buses with channeled floors. But you're right, sandpaper floors do achieve a certain wetness level that gets dangerous sometimes. 

6 minutes ago, northwesterner said:

Yeah, its kind of hard to describe it until you see it. I'd use the term "saturated" but the floors aren't like a wet, saturated strip of leather, where the water is actually absorbed, so that's not really the right word.

I think James May 

@5:30. 

9 minutes ago, northwesterner said:

That's good. I'd hadn't seen that before. Thanks.

I’m quite curious to see how that rubberized cork floor would fare over the life of the bus. Though I don’t know if it would be able to handle the levels of snow, slush, salt and sand that North American agencies cope with. Idea seems neat though.

Without getting too off topic, that clip is worth a full watch just FYI. Nothing like top gear and buses....

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2018 at 10:42 PM, Doppelkupplung said:

I’m quite curious to see how that rubberized cork floor would fare over the life of the bus. Though I don’t know if it would be able to handle the levels of snow, slush, salt and sand that North American agencies cope with. Idea seems neat though.

Without getting too off topic, that clip is worth a full watch just FYI. Nothing like top gear and buses....

Victoria (BC Transit) has double deckers anywhere from 10 years to 18 years old, the floor seems fine to me, but I'm not a mechanic. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Victoria (BC Transit) has double deckers anywhere from 10 years to 18 years old, the floor seems fine to me, but I'm not a mechanic. 

Mind you, Victoria is also the Canadian city with the single mildest winter (Even beating Vancouver!) in the nation, with hardly any snow sand or salt. 

BC systems still run a bunch of 1996 and even 1995 coaches daily, though Vancouver is probably replacing theirs this year.

1 hour ago, jmward said:

Mind you, Victoria is also the Canadian city with the single mildest winter (Even beating Vancouver!) in the nation, with hardly any snow sand or salt. 

BC systems still run a bunch of 1996 and even 1995 coaches daily, though Vancouver is probably replacing theirs this year.

Victoria and Vancouver both have their fair share of snow and ice, resulting in the roads getting salted. If Victoria's deckers are holding up well (after their usual mid-life refurbs), Vancouvers should as well. 

It's actually surprising to see quite a few 1995/1996 D40LFs still roaming around, seeing as the two-stroke ones from 1991-1994 had frame rot issues. 

1 hour ago, Matt Dunlop said:

Victoria and Vancouver both have their fair share of snow and ice, resulting in the roads getting salted. If Victoria's deckers are holding up well (after their usual mid-life refurbs), Vancouvers should as well. 

I am surprised in the first place that Victoria never got any of the new-generation Enviro500s - as was said before, the newest of the DDs are already 10 years old - the same age as GO Transit's oldest DDs, which the agency is said to retire soon. Unless there is reason otherwise, BC Transit might as well begin the process of replacing the Trident 3s with the latest generation models to ensure reliability. A shared order with Translink could even be a possibility - who knows!

16 hours ago, Transit geek said:

I am surprised in the first place that Victoria never got any of the new-generation Enviro500s - as was said before, the newest of the DDs are already 10 years old - the same age as GO Transit's oldest DDs, which the agency is said to retire soon. Unless there is reason otherwise, BC Transit might as well begin the process of replacing the Trident 3s with the latest generation models to ensure reliability. A shared order with Translink could even be a possibility - who knows!

AFAIK, BC Transit is buying deckers in 2021 to replace some or all of the Trident III's. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Brando737 said:

Doesn't look like this has been posted here yet, the RFP for 32 double deckers.

https://service.ariba.com/Discovery.aw/ad/viewRFX?id=5255315

Just a bit disappointed for Translink didn't put the details to that site for this RFP, I think Alexander-Dennis must get it all, just figure it out the spec for Translink wants~~

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, Cathay 888 said:

I just have a short question, according from our WiKi page, just wondering when did Translink ordered the additional 25 more double deckers for expansion??

someone apparently emailed the "higher ups" and immediately cited it on the wiki,

though nothing has been said from drivers (2 ex board members and one admin on here) I know personally who have connections to property managers, people in charge of bookouts (who in turn should have access to the preview sheets in July), or a general social media group I am a part of. There's someone I know who is involved in procurement and even he says nothing, so hmm.

1 hour ago, Express691 said:

someone apparently emailed the "higher ups" and immediately cited it on the wiki,

though nothing has been said from drivers (2 ex board members and one admin on here) I know personally who have connections to property managers, people in charge of bookouts (who in turn should have access to the preview sheets in July), or a general social media group I am a part of. There's someone I know who is involved in procurement and even he says nothing, so hmm.

What I suggest you to do is to write directly to TransLink, ask about it, and see for yourself. https://feedback.translink.ca

I asked the manager service planner directly (since I already had his e-mail, and he was open to questions), and he said there are two batches of DDs. I asked how many in each batch, and replied 32 in the first one and 25 in the second one. I have taken a few screenshots of the dialogue to prove I am not just making stuff up for fun and games, as my profile picture would suggest. Unfortunately, I had to black out his name for privacy reasons.

Screenshot (106).png

Screenshot (108).png

Screenshot (101).png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...