Marpole - Silvertree Transit Centre

Express691

This new transit centre is mentioned in the December 14, 2017 Board Meeting Report. This project ties in to the Millennium Line - Broadway Extension project.

According to the file, the file also states that on page 152, 37 diesel buses (unknown brand/year) are to replace some of the the trolley fleet. They will also build bypass trolley overhead infrastructure for other trolley routes during construction.

FAQ:

Q: What routes/buses will be based out of this yard?
A: We do not know yet, (and please don't speculate because we literally know nothing route-wise at this point.) 

Q: Will RTC buses be based out of this yard?
A: Look above.

Q: What will be the final name of this transit centre?
A: Actually, on page 152, the project name is called "Marpole Transit Centre - Silvertree Site". (and please don't speculate because we literally know nothing name-wise at this point.) 

All clear? Let's start discussion!

Did some quick research. There used to be a mill on this site, which is now described as a "concrete wasteland". It's the empty area located just west of the Canada Line Bridge, between Kent and the River. I do believe that there is a lot of HandyDart buses already in this site. My guess is that the yard might support some of that double decker expansion slated for 2019 onwards.

3 hours ago, Phillip said:

Is the location in Richmond were the HandyDart buses are below the Canada line?? I'm not sure of the location.

No, but across the river on the northern side. At the lot southeast of Kent and Ash, there is currently nothing there (according to google maps).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
31 minutes ago, 8010 said:

Is there any news as to when construction is supposed to begin on this new transit centre?

Not sure of a start date, but I think it's planned to be open by 2021.  It will be its own depot, not a satellite like originally thought.  It will be a diesel depot which would make VTC trolley only.  Not much more is known.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Brando737 said:

Not sure of a start date, but I think it's planned to be open by 2021.  It will be its own depot, not a satellite like originally thought.  It will be a diesel depot which would make VTC trolley only.  Not much more is known.

With the planned order for double deckers is it too early to ask if silvertree will be designed for it?

1 hour ago, translink said:

With the planned order for double deckers is it too early to ask if silvertree will be designed for it?

Probably not.  I don't think Translink has any plans to implement double deckers on any Vancouver routes at this time. 

What I am certain of, not confirmed officially, is that Silvertree will be designed to be a fully electric depot in the future.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, 8010 said:

Maybe TransLink can finally expand their trolley fleet if the Battery-Electric bus trial is for some reason unsuccessful.

If that happened, it would be better to house trolleys in a transit centre to the east of the city, as it would reduce a lot of costly deadheading e.g. for the 9, 14 etc. The topic has been discussed from time to time but obviously nothing has happened.

Way back around 1980 or so, I was taken on a tour of the system by somebody in BC Transit. The trip included a visit to BTC, which must have been recently built at that time. My host proudly showed me the entrance doors to the workshops etc. and said they had ensured that there was enough height clearance to install trolleybus wires. I guess even then they were thinking of using BTC as a partial trolleybus depot. The idea would be to have half the allocation on east-west routes at BTC and the other half at OTC and now VTC.

There were also regular suggestions to extend both the 9 and 14 to Brentwood Mall at the same time as wiring up BTC. This must have been before Burnaby was officially anti-trolley.

• 9 months later...
On 6/3/2018 at 10:24 AM, Brando737 said:

Page 16 for March 22's board meeting:

1) The minutes describe the transit centre as "Marpole Transit Centre" and it is scheduled to be open in Q4 2023.
2) It will house Diesel/hybrid and battery-electric buses.

• Like 2