TransitfanJW

TTC's CAD/AVL "Vision" System

8 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

I wish. Safety department would never budge on something like that. 

nope, just for rear end collisions and the like.

Interesting. I think it could help in some occasions, I see drivers sometimes backing up at Kennedy by the fence because they parked too close to the bus ahead, and it's a little hairy sometimes. Sometimes they get another operator to spot, but sometimes they just do it blindly with another bus being close behind.

13 minutes ago, NovaBus76 said:

What is this vision thing anyway, please pardon my ignorance for not knowing 

Since you asked, and because I do not want to bite newbies on the forum, let me tell you that VISION refers to this computer you see in the buses. It's similar to what all the other GTA transit agencies are using to track their fleets. It is replacing the bulky black box to the right of the operator with the numeric keypad and the long green LCD display at the top, and the retrofits are supposed to be complete within a few months (which I believe the TTC is on target for except for the Flexity cars).

1548977308719.jpg

Just now, Transit geek said:

Since I do not want to bite newbies on this wiki, VISION refers to this computer you see in the buses. It's similar to what all the other GTA transit agencies are using to track their fleets.

1548977308719.jpg

Well, I'm happy to hear you don't bite off the heads of newbies, I have another question, do most buses have to GPS that depicts the route for the driver like a car GPS? I read in a post somewhere on here and I can't find the post now that the newer buses that came in service last few months have them I believe 

51 minutes ago, NovaBus76 said:

Well, I'm happy to hear you don't bite off the heads of newbies, I have another question, do most buses have to GPS that depicts the route for the driver like a car GPS? I read in a post somewhere on here and I can't find the post now that the newer buses that came in service last few months have them I believe 

Yes the screen pictured in the post has a GPS feature which is what is installed in the newer buses (VISION) + is being installed in all buses atm

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ultimate said:

Yes the screen pictured in the post has a GPS feature which is what is installed in the newer buses (VISION) + is being installed in all buses atm

And the GPS is programmed /integrated with the specific route the bus is doing somehow? so if a new driver who hasn't done the route can refer to it?  

16 minutes ago, NovaBus76 said:

And the GPS is programmed /integrated with the specific route the bus is doing somehow? so if a new driver who hasn't done the route can refer to it?  

I'm not to sure into depth with it but maybe with they login to the certain route it shows which ways they need to go or like a red line on the route and where they are in correlation of it 

1 hour ago, NovaBus76 said:

When you login at the beginning it knows what route you'll be driving and can show you the routing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shemar said:

#1239, #8955, #8956 have vision

Isnt 1239 Malvern? Does this mean they're finally gonna put VISION on the Malvern 12xx-14xx?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rami A. said:

Isnt 1239 Malvern? Does this mean they're finally gonna put VISION on the Malvern 12xx-14xx?

Yes the VISION installation crew that was at Queensway is now at Malvern.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shemar said:

Yes the VISION installation crew that was at Queensway is now at Malvern.

I can second this by noting that one of the NG HEVs on route 939 this morning rush had scrolling text on its LED sign. Oddly enough, that bus was in the 1700-series which is due for retirement. I could theorize that might have been an extra or a test vehicle, but my eyes definitely weren't deceiving that time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

I could theorize that might have been an extra or a test vehicle, but my eyes definitely weren't deceiving that time.

How many times have we gone over this on the forum... anything that will last beyond April requires VISION. The kits can be taken off and reinstalled into another bus after retirement if need be. And considering that the TTC will likely not be able to kill of all the unrefurbished 15s and 17s... they will get VISION.

• Thanks 2

Speaking of VISION, I noticed something interesting on the Birchmount Nova's that have been equipped with VISION. When the stop request button is pushed, the old red stop request light comes on, and STOP REQUESTED appears on the LED display.

But the old red light disappears immediately after the operator opens the front door, but the STOP REQUESTED on the LED sign lingers until the bus moves off (or the front door is closed - I haven't figured that out yet).

Its no big deal, but its odd seeing the STOP REQUESTED on the LED sign when the bus sits at the station (if someone pulled it before) or when the bus waits a little bit on its route end, with the door open.

2 minutes ago, NoUse4AName said:

Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 6.28.16 PM.png

I wonder if they'll even bother with equiping the ALRVs seeing their reliability and how they havent operated in a couple of weeks.