Community Shuttle

Pre-designed liveries/shop templates on transit buses

These are common on motorcoaches. Pre-designed liveries customers only need to specify the colors of.

However, I recently discovered that transit buses have these too. Lethbridge Transit's Novas use one of volvo's pre-designed liveries with their own colors. Similarly, Vancouver Regional Transit System's, CMBC's, and Academy Bus Lines' D60LFs all use the same livery design with their respective colors. Same thing with Halifax and Western Michigan University D40LFs (Not really related to the main topic but these pre-designed liveries are often co-opted by agencies and used on other buses - the Nova-designed livery is used on Lethbridge's Xcelsiors while what I assume is a NFI-designed livery is found on Academy's Novas - similarly, TransLink decided to adopt that D60LF livery and made their own version of it with a few changes). With that being said, are there any other transit buses that have pre-designed liveries?

8 hours ago, Community Shuttle said:

These are common on motorcoaches. Pre-designed liveries customers only need to specify the colors of.

However, I recently discovered that transit buses have these too. Lethbridge Transit's Novas use one of volvo's pre-designed liveries with their own colors. Similarly, Vancouver Regional Transit System's, CMBC's, and Academy Bus Lines' D60LFs all use the same livery design with their respective colors. Same thing with Halifax and Western Michigan University D40LFs (Not really related to the main topic but these pre-designed liveries are often co-opted by agencies and used on other buses - the Nova-designed livery is used on Lethbridge's Xcelsiors while what I assume is a NFI-designed livery is found on Academy's Novas). With that being said, are there any other transit buses that have pre-designed liveries?

Going back to the 1950s and 1960s, Canadian Car & Foundry and GM were both fond of doing this kind of thing. CC&F especially had a standardized livery design that was used on almost a dozen properties across Canada, with the colours being the only difference. And GM with the New Look had a couple of standardized designs that properties could start with.

Even into the early RTS era, GM continued to do this - Long Beach for one used a sort of "standardized" GM livery design.

Dan

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

Going back to the 1950s and 1960s, Canadian Car & Foundry and GM were both fond of doing this kind of thing. CC&F especially had a standardized livery design that was used on almost a dozen properties across Canada, with the colours being the only difference. And GM with the New Look had a couple of standardized designs that properties could start with.

Even into the early RTS era, GM continued to do this - Long Beach for one used a sort of "standardized" GM livery design.

Dan

With the GM New Look buses, would  that standardized livery the red/cream/blue cream/orange cream etc livery that you could find on agencies around Ontario and elsewhere during the 1970's?  

1 hour ago, Jeffrey said:

With the GM New Look buses, would  that standardized livery the red/cream/blue cream/orange cream etc livery that you could find on agencies around Ontario and elsewhere during the 1970's?  

I don't want to say with absolute certainty, but it at a quick blush it does look that way.

There was a very, very similar scheme that was used on many properties in the US upon the launch of the New Look in 1959 that seemed to peter out towards the end of the 1960s. The earliest version of the TTC scheme looks to follow this lead, as do the schemes for Connecticut and Detroit from around that time.

Dan

• Like 1

Steve Parkin had scanned a 1959ish New Look brochure which gave the basic paint schemes available. Not sure if those scans survive anywhere on the internet!

Off the top of my head, Moose Jaw had the same livery as Strathcona applied to it's fleet starting with the first XLII's, and ended up on most of the vehicles in their fleet.

There's a newer cutaway bus sitting for sale in a yard in Edmonton with the same decal job used on Leduc Transit's Arboc's, except it's two shades of blue.