D60LF (6351-6403) Refurbishment

Enviro_1203

12 hours ago, Enviro_1203 said:

It has recently come to my attention that the 2008-09 D60LF. 

6366 and 6381 are stripped down in the bodyshop currently

Are they replacing the incandescent lights with LEDs? The incandescent lights burn out a lot!

11 hours ago, ONQCBusFan said:

Are replacing the incandescent lights with LEDs? The incandescent lights burn out a lot!

Doubtful, they have the body panels stripped off for structural rebuild. IMO, its a waste of money rewiring an entire bus and installing new lighting just because LED is better.

1 hour ago, Enviro_1203 said:

IMO, its a waste of money rewiring an entire bus and installing new lighting just because LED is better.

On an older vehicle, just the reduction in power draw and thus on fuel use can pay for itself in a couple of years.

Dan

12 hours ago, Enviro_1203 said:

It has recently come to my attention that the 2008-09 D60LF. 

6366 and 6381 are stripped down in the bodyshop currently

Interesting. Knowing that they are still the very few remaining D60LF buses remaining. Knowing they are trying to the fleet together to ensure enough availability.

Unsure what the exact requirements are because the final network plan isn't in stone yet. Along with being very large-scale, will take time to get the formula right. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2017 at 4:54 PM, ONQCBusFan said:

Are they going to have the same shade of blue on the seat covers and the bold numbers like the Inveros?

The shade of blue used on OC's seats hasn't changed since the S50 artics. But they will be replaced, much like what was done on the refurbished Inveroes.

Edited by Waiting for 30 Minutes

30 minutes ago, MCIBUS said:

I wish they'd swap out the seats for the same style as the D60LFRs? But I doubt it?

No. When OC rebuilds a bus, they never change the seats out for different models, or anything for that matter. They add nothing new, they just use the same part models (engine, tranny, seats, etc.) that came with the bus.

I'm not sure if this counts, but the only exception I can think of is when they retrofit different destination signs onto buses, like how OC replaced the rollsigns with the Balios signs on the Nova Classics for example. The D60LFs also had this done in 2016. They changed them from Balios to Luminator signs.

That usually happens before rebuild, like the D60LFs. The Classics got the digital signs back in 2000, before a few got rebuilt and repainted in the leaf livery a few years later.

39 minutes ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

No. When OC rebuilds a bus, they never change the seats out for different models, or anything for that matter. They add nothing new, they just use the same part models (engine, tranny, seats, etc.) that came with the bus.

I'm not sure if this counts, but the only exception I can think of is when they retrofit different destination signs onto buses, like how OC replaced the rollsigns with the Balios signs on the Nova Classics for example. The D60LFs also had this done in 2016. They changed them from Balios to Luminator signs.

That usually happens before rebuild, like the D60LFs. The Classics got the digital signs back in 2000, before a few got rebuilt and repainted in the leaf livery a few years later.

This was done because it made it easier to update the destination signs. Why update a whole fleet of Luminators (800+) and 53 Balios signs. Saves time because it is 2 different software programs.

14 minutes ago, Enviro_1203 said:

This was done because it made it easier to update the destination signs. Why update a whole fleet of Luminators (800+) and 53 Balios signs. Saves time because it is 2 different software programs.

Ah. I knew about the retrofitting back in 2016, but I didn't know the reason behind it. Thanks for clarifying.

18 hours ago, Waiting for 30 Minutes said:

The shade of blue used on OC's seats hasn't changed since the S50 artics. But they will be replaced, much like what was done on the refurbished Inveroes.

I noticed some of the Inveros have a darker blue seat covers and I'm thinking that the D60LFs will also be rebuilt with the same darker shade of blue. 

On 12/30/2017 at 4:01 PM, ONQCBusFan said:

I noticed some of the Inveros have a darker blue seat covers and I'm thinking that the D60LFs will also be rebuilt with the same darker shade of blue. 

MCIBUS gets it.

On 12/31/2017 at 11:00 AM, MCIBUS said:

Or do they appear darker because there new and the ones on the Invero's yet to be rebuilt appear lighter because of age,usage & sun fade?

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, ONQCBusFan said:

Are any D60LFs gone for or returned from refurbishment yet?

2 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I would think OC would start them in the late Spring or summer where demand for buses is less?

There are at least 3 that I’ve seen being refurbished at StLaurent Garage since the new year... but I don’t recall the bus numbers 

• 2 weeks later...

There is a posting on MERX where the City is looking for information on vendors to perform the refurbishment work: https://www.merx4.merx.com/cityofottawa/solicitations/open-bids/TS-TO-FFM-Refurbishment-of-New-Flyer-D607-Articulated-Bus-Fleet/0000079631?purchasingGroupId=149352201&origin=1

And don't ask me why D60LF is written as "D607" in the posting... 

• 1 month later...