Maui Bus (Maui County. Hawaii)

Buzz2kb

Maui Bus is a partnership between Maui County and statewide coach operator Roberts Hawaii,  It operates 3 types of fixed routes: Islanders, Villagers and Loops.  The Islander routes are longer-distance routes that connect smaller communities to major transit hubs (Queen Ka'ahumanu Center in Kahului and Wharf Cinema Center in Lahaina).  An exception is the route 25 Ka'anapali Islander mid-day supplemental route between Wharf Cinema Center and Whaler's Village.  The 2700-series of 40ft. Eldorado Axcess buses in trolley wraps are only used in 2 of these routes, route 10 Kihei Islander and route 20 Lahaina Islander, illustrated by buses 2706 and 2703 respectively (both taken at Queen Ka'ahumanu Center).  They are tied with route 28 West Maui Islander as the routes with longest running time (up to 2 hours per trip) in the system.  35ft. EZ-Rider II bus 22 is pictured at the Wharf Cinema Center on the latter route.  Newer 35ft. Axcess in the MB400-series are the staple on the 2 other Islander routes, route 35 Haiku Islander and route 40 Upcountry Islander, as illustrated by bus MB407 on the latter route at Queen Ka'ahumanu Center.

Maui-r10-2706.JPGMaui-r20-2703-1.JPGMaui-r28-22-1.JPGMaui-r40-407-2.jpg

The Villager routes are either small community locals like route 23 (Lahaina Villager, illustrated by EZ-Rider II bus 24 at the Lahaina tourist district)  or connectors between various small communities like route 15 (Kihei Villager, illustrated by EZ-Rider II bus 27 taken at Maalaea /Harbor Village) and route 39 (Kula Villager, illustrated by Axcess MB405 taken near Kulamalu Town Center)

Maui-r15-27-2.JPGMaui-r23-24-2.JPGMaui-r39-405-1.JPG

Finally, the Loop routes serves the relatively urbanized portion of Maui County like Kahului and Wailuku,  They are always served with 35ft. ElDorado National buses like EZ-Rider buses 26 on route 2 (Wailuku Loop reverse) and 30 on route 6 (Kahului Loop reverse), while Axcess MB402 is spotted on route 5 (Kahului Loop).  All are pictured at the Queen Ka'ahumanu Center.  There is also a route 1 (Wailuku Loop)

Maui-r02-26-2.JPGMaui-r06-30-1.JPGMaui-r05-402-2.JPG

Operationally, Maui Bus is dominated by ElDorado National low floor buses.  The 2007 Axcess 40ft. buses in trolley wraps numbered in the 2700-series are the oldest buses in its fleet.  It also has a dozen 35ft. EZ-Rider II's numbered 21-32 and about ten Axcess 35ft. buses numbered in the MB400-series.   They also have a few large Ford cutaways numbered in the MB500 series, but they seem to be last-resort buses for the Villager routes only; and all buses I've spotted and traveled on during my visit are Eldorado National's.

Here is the link to my Maui Bus gallery:

Maui Bus (Maui County Hawaii)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 5 months later...

I'm heading off to Maui on the 10th of February for a week. I will be staying in the general area of Kā'anapali and Lahaina. I'm wondering where the best spot to get shots of these buses in this area. I will also be taking some pictures of the Westin shuttle buses. 

Last year I was only able to take 3 pictures, all 3 of Westin shuttle buses due to the fact that my phone broke and that I could only use my IPad mini for pictures. In the meanwhile, here are the only pictures that I took last year. (Sorry that the resolution is so low)

IMG_0328.thumb.JPG.b72ae4a665b86c518157414ec825bb0d.JPG

IMG_0329.thumb.JPG.592ab071f029153a3aac4995e26037cb.JPG

IMG_0330.thumb.JPG.d510c0926d39bc988b92710ff24889a9.JPG

I also talked to a few drivers of these shuttles and they said that all the buses (there are more than what I took pictures of) are leased and were manufactured in 2016-2017 except for number 8 which was manufactured in 2015. All buses are also wheelchair accessible, are built on a Ford F650 chassis and have a Turtle Top Odyssey body except for number 8 which has a Krystal body. 

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone update the very outdated wiki please to include all of the above changes which include the fact that 25 and 30 exist, MB402 and MB405-407 exist and 2703 exist. Also the "Chevrolet cutaways" are Chevrolet Eldorado Aero elite buses. All of this was found through @Buzz2kb photo gallery and a quick google image search

Please don't tell me to "become an editor and do it myself" because I have tried and been denied twice. 

Many thanks to the one who end up editing the wiki

On 1/30/2019 at 8:19 PM, Thomasw said:

I'm heading off to Maui on the 10th of February for a week. I will be staying in the general area of Kā'anapali and Lahaina. I'm wondering where the best spot to get shots of these buses in this area.

On the west side, there are three routes: West Maui Islander, Lahaina Islander, and Lahaina Villager (see first post for buses). The Wharf Cinema Center (on Luakini St.)  is the transfer point for all three of those lines.  The West Maul Islander and the Lahaina Villager also run through Cannery Mall.

8 hours ago, 3we said:

On the west side, there are three routes: West Maui Islander, Lahaina Islander, and Lahaina Villager (see first post for buses). The Wharf Cinema Center (on Luakini St.)  is the transfer point for all three of those lines.  The West Maul Islander and the Lahaina Villager also run through Cannery Mall.

What routes stop at wallers village? Because that is most likely were I will go to grab some pics 

• 1 month later...

Over the last few weeks I have created my own google doc with Maui Buses fleet based on countless hours of google and flick search as the current Maui Bus Wiki is severely outdated

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rcFNlnDcFYIAZCFxcgceTk0y3I12A_r1b-d_WZjGyPI/edit?usp=sharing

If you have any information that could help with my document that would be awesome 

On a side note I have gotten in contact with a Maui Bus representative and they have yet to get back to me with an updated fleet 

Thank you @Seashore_518203 for bringing this article to my attention: https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/2018/09/23/hawaii-news/double-decker-buses-to-hit-the-road/

It seems that the double decker has been DONATED to Hele-on along with a 2014 Chevy cutaway.

I wonder when this happened, what prompted this to happen and which Chevy cut away was transferred   

On 3/16/2019 at 6:13 AM, Thomasw said:

Over the last few weeks I have created my own google doc with Maui Buses fleet based on countless hours of google and flick search as the current Maui Bus Wiki is severely outdated

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rcFNlnDcFYIAZCFxcgceTk0y3I12A_r1b-d_WZjGyPI/edit?usp=sharing

If you have any information that could help with my document that would be awesome 

On a side not Inhave gotten in contact with a Maui Bus representative and they have yet to get back to me with an updated fleet 

Eyyy, nice job on the documentation. Nice to know that the EZ-Rider II's have the Cummins ISB while the Axxess' have the Cummins ISL. Kind of a shame that the only Enviro500 the city bus operated was retired for a third life on the Big Island (considering that it's used - in early mornings - for commuting hotel workers and g-men). 

2 hours ago, Rotidua said:

Eyyy, nice job on the documentation. Nice to know that the EZ-Rider II's have the Cummins ISB while the Axxess' have the Cummins ISL. Kind of a shame that the only Enviro500 the city bus operated was retired for a third life on the Big Island (considering that it's used - in early mornings - for commuting hotel workers and g-men). 

Thank you!

It’s interesting that the engines on the 2007 axxess’ are Cummins ILSs but that the 2008/2010 EZ-Rider II’s have Cummins ISB engines. You would think that they would stick to one engine for maintenance reasons but I guess not ?‍♂️

Sad to see the double decker go but at least it’s still in service with Hele-On. It’s too bad because I never got the chance to ride it. At least where I’m from (Vancouver, B.C. in Canada) we are receiving our first batch of double deckers by the end of 2019 (20 or more 2019 Enviro500s)

BTW, I have yet to update the document to include the transfer of the double decker and I’m still trying to figure out which 2014 Chevy cutaway was sent over with the double decker

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Thomasw said:

They are Eldorado National Axess BRT 40ft. buses, and will replace 2 of the 2007 sister buses with original fronts and trolley wraps.  Like what the article said, they will be used on the same long distance routes as the 2700's.

14 hours ago, Buzz2kb said:

They are Eldorado National Axess BRT 40ft. buses, and will replace 2 of the 2007 sister buses with original fronts and trolley wraps.  Like what the article said, they will be used on the same long distance routes as the 2700's.

The Big question is, which 2007s will they be replacing and what are these buses fleet numbers

On the tracker, there seem to be buses numbered 401988 and 401989 so this could be the new buses. Before you ask, 401 is in service too so it's not a tracker problem

Edited by Thomasw
401988 and 401989 seen on tracker

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Stalwart23 said:

They do have the new Cummins L9 engine, but not sure about the Allison B400R transmission.

I sent an email to a Maui Bus representative a couple weeks ago and they got back to me saying that it was indeed a Cummins L9 with 280hp coupled to a B400R

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been in contact with Maui Bus over the past few days and have gotten information about their paratransit fleet. 

I have also learn that they have ordered 4 new ENC Axess brt buses due in March 2019 in order to retire the remaining 2007 buses, thankfully I'll be able to ride these buses in February before they retire. 

I have edited the wiki to reflect these changes.

• Thanks 1

I will be in Maui between February 17 to the 23rd and will be able to do a bunch of Maui Bus spotting expecially because Maui Bus has invited to "visit their facilities" which I interpret as walking around their yard (which also has a lot of Roberts hawaii buses in it) and taking pictures. I'm actually really pumped.

On 11/5/2019 at 2:48 PM, Thomasw said:

I will be in Maui between February 17 to the 23rd and will be able to do a bunch of Maui Bus spotting expecially because Maui Bus has invited to "visit their facilities" which I interpret as walking around their yard (which also has a lot of Roberts hawaii buses in it) and taking pictures. I'm actually really pumped.

If possible, can you make an audio recording on one of the 2007 Axess buses? 

10 hours ago, Rotidua said:

If possible, can you make an audio recording on one of the 2007 Axess buses? 

I will do my best. My trip isn’t till February so PM then so I don’t forget.

Are there any other special request? Questions? Or thing that should be added to the wiki?