Straypuft

PC Train Simulators

There are a few players in the Simulator world, Dovetail Games has their Train Simulator 20XX series, Currently in its 2017(TS17) version with 2018 update coming out in the next few months, Dovetail Games also has their Train Sim World(TSW) which came out late last year with a CSX Heavy Haul Route and their most recent DLC addon of Great Western Express which features passenger and freight ops on part of the Great Western Railway - Great Western Main line.

Auran still does Trainz with their latest version Trainz: A New Era, and TML-Studios has their World Of Subways with 4 routes out now.

All of the above sims can be found on Steam.

Raildriver is still the only controller still being manufactured but people have found ways to make joystick throttles work with TS17, Raildriver does not yet work with TSW but supposedly work is being done to fix that. TSW does have support for Xbox 360/One controllers and I believe TS17 can use them as well.

There is a huge stigma about the total cost of buying all of Train Simulator 2017's addon content, sure, if you have deep pockets, you could pay up to $7000usd for all of it($3000usd when on seasonal Steam sale), Fact is, there is no pressure to buy all of it, Not having it all wont mean your game is incomplete, Just buy whatever interests you. There are 4 major yearly Steam sales that are the best times to buy addon DLC, The most popular being the Winter sale around the middle of December.

There is also content available for TS17 that isnt on Steam, Some freeware and some other payware through various sites, UKTrainsim, Railworks America, Trainsim.com, and Just Trains.

The things I prefer to do in TS17 are passenger routes, But the stuff I prefer are either mostly British and Japanese content, mostly in the form of DMU and EMU stuff. Currently there is only one EMU addon for TS17 based on New Jersey Transit's Arrow cars.

I hope to see this topic grow in popularity among those of us who love driving digital trains at home, This topic is for any Simulator where you can operate trains or signal management. Lets see your screenshots and videos, and if you are creating content for any Train Simulator, lets see it!

I started train "simming" in 2003 with MSTS. I think Railworks (DTG Train Simulator 20xx) is the best all around train simulator out there for the following reasons:

-Easy migration from MSTS because it is developed by former Kuju staff. A lot of keyboard commands are the same.

-Wealth of 3rd party content and community content.

-Can be modded and tweaked.

-SUPERIOR model and sound quality (especially with 3rd party sound packs)

-Can be played with an Xbox controller (although the implementation is crappy).

Cons of the game in my opinion are:

-A lot of the scenarios (activities) are cross-dependent on other addons. So you can be on a long (and sometimes expensive) asset hunt just to play one scenario.

-Game is still sporting bugs that were not corrected since Kuju Rail Simulator. Ahem, red light bug?

-Developed by one of the most apathetic and greediest companies in existence.

-Physics and sounds (made by DTG themselves, excluding 3rd party sounds) in many case implemented by a company that believes trains are as light as a Mini Cooper and as silent as an electric car. Piss. Poor. Physics.

I have been playing the game since it was called Railworks 2 and have seen the company take one step forward and 2 steps back many times. The worst was the disastrous introduction of the TSX engine with Train Simulator 2012. The game became completely unplayable due to pitiful performance on many people's computers which were not up to task at that time (2011). Decent anti-aliasing was lost forever (up to this day). The game gradually lost performance and introduced some really stupid things like the new animated menus, pointless "career" scenarios with pointless points to be gained, pointless "Academy", and et cetera.

Anyway, I have also tried many other train sims.

Trainz: Hate it. Looks like a toy. It took them years to render switches and switch frogs properly (no train sim game has ever gotten this perfect, I don't know why)

Run 8 Train Simulator: Amazing physics, awesome realism, awesome operations, crappy graphics, developed by right ASSHOLES.

OpenBVE: Amazing physics, FREE!, loads light fast, can be played on anything above a Commodore 64 lol, crappy graphics, very very low amount of content.

Open Rails: Uses MSTS files under its own engine, great physics, improves upon MSTS greatly, better graphics than MSTS but still decades out of date.

World of Subways Series: Amazing graphics and train models, OK sounds, laughable physics, fantastically BORING.

Train Sim World CSX Heavy Haul: GARBAGE. Simply GARBAGE. That is if you can get it to run. People with SLI GTX 1080s, and 7th gen i7s can't get it to crawl above 24fps. Train Simulator 2012 all over again.

Anyway, these are my impression of what's out there.

Thanks for creating this thread.

P.S. I remember the joystick driver being developed. I actually assisted a little bit for a short while helping the dev fix some things but I didn't want to learn visual basic enough to really get into it. I'm no dev. LOL

Don't forget the Kawasaki M8 EMU. That one was a laugh when it came out. It couldn't move, it was so heavy on resources. It took them over a year to bother "fixing" it. It still crawls. Someone had to release a 3rd party patch to fix it initially.

If your not the type.of person to drive a train, but instead operate a transit system, you should try Cities Skylines.

Edited by buizel10
Train not plain

5 hours ago, buizel10 said:

If your not the type.of person to drive a train, but instead operate a transit system, you should try Cities Skylines.

Or it's predeccesor(s) : Cities in Motion 1 (More European) and CiM 2 (Literally New York)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, buizel10 said:

Dont forget about Transport Fever!

Dovetail Games is getting ready to release their third route for Train Sim World:

bqOFowF.jpg

This route is centered in the city of Leipzig Germany on the S-Bahn S2 route and features the DB BR 1442 ‘Talent 2.

Hopefully DTG will be able to bring a North American city transit route to their TSW product, The DTG way of releasing routes usually follows: North America-UK-Germany.

I see them doing Amtrak for their next North American Route.

1 hour ago, Straypuft said:

Dovetail Games is getting ready to release their third route for Train Sim World:

bqOFowF.jpg

This route is centered in the city of Leipzig Germany on the S-Bahn S2 route and features the DB BR 1442 ‘Talent 2.

Hopefully DTG will be able to bring a North American city transit route to their TSW product, The DTG way of releasing routes usually follows: North America-UK-Germany.

I see them doing Amtrak for their next North American Route.

Ahhh, the "Hamsterbacke". Love it. 

Does anyone know how the TSWs have been recieved so far? I feel like you need a monstrously powerful computer for it; but the reviews so far have been inconclusive for me. If I was to buy one, it would definitely be a German addon. But that photoshopping up there is horrible. 

I've lost my love for DTG TS now...its more of the same in my opinion. They just transfer sounds from addon to addon and the overall quality has been lacking recently. I haven't seen any major break throughs with them.. apart from TSW of course. 

On 12/3/2017 at 9:30 PM, MiWay0310 said:

I've lost my love for DTG TS now...its more of the same in my opinion. They just transfer sounds from addon to addon and the overall quality has been lacking recently. I haven't seen any major break throughs with them.. apart from TSW of course. 

There are other addons out there that arent sold on steam, there is stuff from https://www.justtrains.net/ and http://www.christrains.com/mainpage.html

Even some freeware here and there.

Some of which should be higher quality.