Trans-Plan

Countdown: 79 Days until #Line1 Opening! 

Countdown: 79 Days until #Line1 Opening! 

York University will open in 79 days. Students who live in off-campus counting days to see York University Station open. 

The York University Station project incorporates the following initiatives: 

- Cool roof and green roofs,
- Increased daylight levels to reduce electric lighting power usage,
- LED lighting in pylon signs and energy efficient lighting
- Energy efficient HVAC system,
- 26 short term bicycle parking spaces; and
- Landscaping with native and drought tolerant species provided. (Source:https://ttc.ca)

YU_Concourse.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Does anyone have any information regarding the changes YRT and the TTC are making to bus services in the area? I have heard little things but can we get a detailed list here?

Just now, Brian451 said:

Does anyone have any information regarding the changes YRT and the TTC are making to bus services in the area? I have heard little things but can we get a detailed list here?

YRT has released a lot of material throughout the past few years, although the changes seem to be continually, well, changing. Check out the Service Plans page on their website, there is a section dedicated to the Spadina Subway Transit Strategy. They also have another page on the website dedicated to the Line 1 Subway Extension - more recent info, but fewer details.

TTC released their routing changes a while ago, and it is up on the TYSSE website.

• Like 1

Got to hear Downsview Park announced on a TR. The distance between Sheppard West and Downsview Park is the distance between Sheppard West and the Wilson Yard Platforms. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

GO Transit has officially announced that upon opening of the TYSSE no routes will be withdrawn from York Univwrsity or moved to Highway 407 Station. Still no details on York U GO Station though

12 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

GO Transit has officially announced that upon opening of the TYSSE no routes will be withdrawn from York Univwrsity or moved to Highway 407 Station. Still no details on York U GO Station though

If the new GO station at Downsview Park won't be opening with the TTC station, then they've pretty much got no choice but to keep it open and maintain the shuttle service. But if the new Downsview Park GO does open with the TTC, then that would be different. Although I would first suppose that York U GO station close upon the opening of Downsview Park, however after reconsideration I find it would make sense for GO not to immediately withdraw service from the old station for the benefit of students who are not immediately aware of the new station's presence. Especially if they're coming from the north, the shuttle from York U GO might, in fact, be faster than changing to the subway at Downsview Park, and what's more, there's no extra fare to pay. But considering that the shuttle is rather underutilized compared to GO and YRT buses leading directly to the campus,  I have reason to believe that the old station will close sooner or later to hasten travel time for commuters heading to and from downtown and to eliminate the costs of keeping an extra station open. I suggest this will probably happen next April, once the winter term is done and most students go home for the summer.

5 hours ago, Transit geek said:

If the new GO station at Downsview Park won't be opening with the TTC station, then they've pretty much got no choice but to keep it open and maintain the shuttle service. But if the new Downsview Park GO does open with the TTC, then that would be different. Although I would first suppose that York U GO station close upon the opening of Downsview Park, however after reconsideration I find it would make sense for GO not to immediately withdraw service from the old station for the benefit of students who are not immediately aware of the new station's presence. Especially if they're coming from the north, the shuttle from York U GO might, in fact, be faster than changing to the subway at Downsview Park, and what's more, there's no extra fare to pay. But considering that the shuttle is rather underutilized compared to GO and YRT buses leading directly to the campus,  I have reason to believe that the old station will close sooner or later to hasten travel time for commuters heading to and from downtown and to eliminate the costs of keeping an extra station open. I suggest this will probably happen next April, once the winter term is done and most students go home for the summer.

The problem is TTC isn't realiable. There could be a major delay leading into Sheppard West and the whole section is screwed. Imagine having to write an exam or important project. You'll have to take the earlier train which could be one hour earlier. Students commuting with TTC to downtown universities/colleges already have to do to avoid being late to an exam but TTC gives more options such as buses or taking the GO/UPX. It just makes commuting worst than the current state. 

18 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The problem is TTC isn't realiable. There could be a major delay leading into Sheppard West and the whole section is screwed. Imagine having to write an exam or important project. You'll have to take the earlier train which could be one hour earlier. Students commuting with TTC to downtown universities/colleges already have to do to avoid being late to an exam but TTC gives more options such as buses or taking the GO/UPX. It just makes commuting worst than the current state. 

Maybe it's good then that GO Transit isn't pulling its service to York U bus loop in favour of the subway. York U would now become a major transit hub and this could drive up enrollment at York U & Seneca @ York. But keeping an extra, underutilized commuter train station in the middle of nowhere is probably a source of capital concerns. They could just improve TTC and maybe YRT bus service in the area instead, perhaps routing them through the commercial area in proximity to York U GO station on their way to and from the campus and beyond.

11 hours ago, Transit geek said:

Maybe it's good then that GO Transit isn't pulling its service to York U bus loop in favour of the subway. York U would now become a major transit hub and this could drive up enrollment at York U & Seneca @ York. But keeping an extra, underutilized commuter train station in the middle of nowhere is probably a source of capital concerns. They could just improve TTC and maybe YRT bus service in the area instead, perhaps routing them through the commercial area in proximity to York U GO station on their way to and from the campus and beyond.

York U is already a major transit hub now, The subway now is just another mode into the mix with Brampton Transit, TTC, YRT, GO and Viva providing connections there.