If you could bring back any retired vehicle from your transit system what would it be?

1999 Novabus LFS from COTA these buses were unique being our first Low Floor bus and the dd40 engine with the seat right behind the driver. Most if not all these buses except for 9903 went to Indianapolis and are in service with INDYGO

BC Transit's Orion IIs. I want to see how bad they actually were because I heard they were worse than Translink's 2013-2014 international things.

My favourite vehicles (TTC) that I have rode

- T1: 5000-5005 when they had H5-H6 rollsigns, 5300 (seen this car a lot for some reason)

- GM fishbowl: 2855, 2444

- H5 : 5796 (T1 prototype), 5731 (low buzz)

- H6 : 5933, like the look of the T1 rollsign, 5841 (t1 rollsign and kept its black headlights), 5898 (my last h6, which I rode only 2 weeks before the farewell run)

- Orion V: 9448, 7117

- CLRV: 4117 b/c of my shirt (still active today), 4041 (a/c), 4002 (first clrv), 4185 (motor sounds really nice and has a lot of sound, also still active), 4000 (prototype)

- ALRV: 4215 (the original furry charter ALRV), 4230

- Orion vii detroit: 7816 (great sound of the air fan), 7882 (unusual engine), 7838 (large bike rack)

- Nova RTS: 7217

- New Flyer D40LF: 7343 (I rode it on a rare appearance on my home route), 7320

- Nova LFS: 9021 for artic, 9208 for regular

- Orion VII NG hybrid: 1794 (I rode it 4-5 times lol)

• Like 1

On 3/26/2019 at 9:01 PM, Matthew TTC 4120 said:

4119 has the best motor. It sounds just like an H5 or H6.

I always try and look out for that one, because that way, I think that I am riding on an H5 or H6.

On 3/26/2019 at 9:01 PM, 7575 said:

VR H5 and 4119 and you'll be good.

I finally rode 4119 yesterday and aside from the buzzing (which they all have) I didn't hear it sound any more like an H5 than the other CLRV's.

• Sad 1

Thinking about updating my original post to streamline it a bit.

I am still thinking with going with the 1993 OC Transpo Classics as they were the last of an era (pink seats, 6V92TA, VR731), while containing some newer features such as, A/C, yellow stanchions and electronic destination signs. The only thing these buses are missing would be wheelchair accessibility but these could be used on school routes or something.

Now that STO's original 1991-1995 Classics have retired, I'm bringing back the 94s and 95s instead of the 96-97s. They seemed to be slightly more durable and still had the 6V92TA engine in them, albeit slower on the highway.

23 hours ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

The only thing these buses are missing would be wheelchair accessibility but these could be used on school routes or something.

Weren't they designed to have wheelchair lifts installed? Sure, I'd would cost (say $50-80k), and yeah, I don't know where I'm going with this...

17 hours ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

Weren't they designed to have wheelchair lifts installed? Sure, I'd would cost (say $50-80k), and yeah, I don't know where I'm going with this...

Our high floors were not equipped with wheelchair lifts and that's why they were prematurely retired. They could have stayed until 2013 otherwise. 

Some (not ours) Classics and Orion Vs did have wheelchair lifts though.

I wish OC Transpo bought 177 2008 lift equipped Orion Vs instead of 177 VII NG hybrids as they had many of the modern features while being a reliable design that was around since 1989. Had they bought Orion Vs, they probably would have came with ISL EPA 2007 engines, B400Rs, American Seating Innovator 850, air conditioning, etc. Basically an old bus with newer features.

46 minutes ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

Our high floors were not equipped with wheelchair lifts and that's why they were prematurely retired. They could have stayed until 2013 otherwise. 

Some (not ours) Classics and Orion Vs did have wheelchair lifts though.

That's the thing: Classics were designed to have wheelchair lifts installed. While it wouldn't be cheap to install lifts, it's not impossible.

2 minutes ago, Imgursdownvote4love said:

That's the thing: Classics were designed to have wheelchair lifts installed. While it wouldn't be cheap to install lifts, it's not impossible.

Our Classics probably could not be retrofitted because Classics with a lift usually have taller front doors to accommodate the lift. If a Classic has a shorter front door, it wasn't designed to have one.

49 minutes ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

Our Classics probably could not be retrofitted because Classics with a lift usually have taller front doors to accommodate the lift. If a Classic has a shorter front door, it wasn't designed to have one.

Our old D40s nor our Orion Vs would have never been retrofitted with wheelchair lifts though. They both had narrow boarding doors.

3 hours ago, OC Transpo/STO Fan said:

Not necessarily.  AFAIK, only the Nova Classics had the enlarged front doors.  This 1989 ex-Santa Monica MCI Classic was lift-equipped but still had the shorter doors:

Wood06-04.JPG

13 hours ago, tomsbuspage said:

Not necessarily.  AFAIK, only the Nova Classics had the enlarged front doors.  This 1989 ex-Santa Monica MCI Classic was lift-equipped but still had the shorter doors:

Wood06-04.JPG

Calgary's original orders and the ex. Connecticut (lift equipped) units appear to have the same door

I would bring back the TTC Orion VIs. They were the first buses that were really Easy on People, Easy on Earth.*

For a time I had a photo of 9239 in my sig.

* That slogan was seen on a CNG no-step bus in Japan. Our Sixes are also such a thing.

On 5/24/2019 at 12:52 PM, 81-717 said:

I finally rode 4119 yesterday and aside from the buzzing (which they all have) I didn't hear it sound any more like an H5 than the other CLRV's.

Acc 4169 does not have the buzz anymore. I rode it in april and didn't hear much

• Sad 2